Sprinting in mid-air and other questions

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Decade

Sprinting in mid-air and other questions

Post by Decade »

Some questions to those on the forum who know well the game logic...
Is there any advantage in holding the sprint key during a jump? To save stamina, I press sprint just before pressing jump and release it immediately when I leave the ground; I don't see any noticeable difference in jump distance and speed compared to when I hold sprint all the time; and the stamina I save allows me to do several sprint jumps in a row. But in some trickjump tutorial they say to keep sprint pressed all the time.
Similar question: is there any advantage in sprinting underwater?
And another one: if you are crouching your stamina bar recharges faster. I have noticed that this is the case also if you hold crouch when climbing a stair (and it doesn't speed you down either so now I always hold crouch when I climb a stair). Anyways the question is: does this happen also in mid-air i.e. if you are crouching during a jump (and not sprinting) does the stamina bar recharge faster?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

lol surprising things

i never knew crouching infected the recharge speed :D
Ragnar_40k

Re: Sprinting in mid-air and other questions

Post by Ragnar_40k »

Decade wrote:Is there any advantage in sprinting underwater?
No (when you have enabled "always run").
The Emperor watch over you.
Decade

Post by Decade »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:i never knew crouching infected the recharge speed :D
Yes, and proning does the same. 8)
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

<strike>Holding still or walking also increases your sprint recharge rate, compared to running.</strike> Nope, they are all the same.

Also, your sprint recharges faster if you don't drain it all the way into the red, and faster with battle sense >= 2.

Decade:
It looks like sprint should affect air control, but air control is pretty slow in either case. I'm not 100% certain about this.
<strike>edit: ducking in the air shouldn't give you better recharge, as you cannot actually duck in the air. (your hitbox doesn't change either)</strike>

I don't see what you mean about crouching on stairs. Using the etpro speedometer, you stairs movment speed affected just the same as normal ground (as it should be, because stairs are just sections of flat ground...).
edit: you do have a somewhat lower average speed on stairs, but sprint/run/walk/crouch still have their normal effects.

Ladders also seem to be affected by sprint. Strangely, crouch also seems to affect your speed on a ladder, although you cannot actually crouch (view position isn't the crouched one, your hitbox doesn't change, and you can sprint at the same time. This seems to be something to do with the fact that crouch is encoded in moveup/movedown)

:?

edit:
some speeds, in units/sec, as observed on etpro UPS meter:
prone = 67
crouch = 80
walk = 129
run = 256
sprint = 352
ladder + walk = 81 (+crouch = 57)
ladder + run = 163 (+crouch = 114)
ladder + sprint = 224 (+crouch = 158)
swim + walk = 130
swim + run = 160

Note that unlike some games, forward + strafe does *not* give you a speed boost. Also, going forward, backwards and strafing all have the same speed.
Last edited by ReyalP on Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
send lawyers, guns and money
Decade

Post by Decade »

Yeah sorry, by stairs I meant ladders (they are actually the same word in Italian :) ) and I didn't notice that you slow down on them by "crouching", actually it seems to me that "crouching" on ladders only affects the recharge time of stamina.
Another strange thing that I noticed is that when running on ice the only way of having a decent control is to hold the sprint key, and this is effective even if the stamina bar is completely empty!
But returning on the main subject, by "air control" you mean the ability of changing direction in mid-air, right? So if I am just jumping straight in a direction, sprinting has no effect... ?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Decade wrote: Another strange thing that I noticed is that when running on ice the only way of having a decent control is to hold the sprint key, and this is effective even if the stamina bar is completely empty!
Ice is very odd, and I haven't looked at it in detail. I find that jumping is the best way to change direction...
But returning on the main subject, by "air control" you mean the ability of changing direction in mid-air, right? So if I am just jumping straight in a direction, sprinting has no effect... ?
It should be any desired acceleration in the air. So holding sprint + forward in the air should make you go slightly farther. However, air acceleration is only 1/10 of normal acceleration.
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

On the topic of crouching whilst in mid-air, I don't know if it alters the recharge rate at all, but it does seem possible to do. I have a few examples to illustrate:

Supply Depot
Go to the Allied Hut where Allies start the map, face the road, and move to the rear-right corner. There are two crates, and above them in the middle of the gap is a rafter. Climb onto either crate and try to jump towards the other - unless you start the jump quite late, you'll hit the rafter and stop mid-way. But, if you hold crouch once you're in the air, you'll pass safely under the rafter. Doesn't have much practical application but the next one does.

Rail Gun
If you try to simply jump down either of the staircases that lead from the Track Switch or the Depot Yard, you'll find you hit the doorway at the base of the staircase, but if you crouch, again you pass safely underneath and can move on without losing any momentum or becoming a static target.

So that to me implies that something to do with the bounding boxes that allow us to move around the map change when you attempt to crouch in mid-air.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
sgone:red.

Post by sgone:red. »

EagleReloaded wrote: Rail Gun
If you try to simply jump down either of the staircases that lead from the Track Switch or the Depot Yard, you'll find you hit the doorway at the base of the staircase, but if you crouch, again you pass safely underneath and can move on without losing any momentum or becoming a static target.
Agree with this, and I do this all the time, so you can in fact "duck" in mid air.
www.smokeysgrotto.com -- #smokeys-grotto -- www.et1337.net

ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Indeed. I stand (or crouch) corrected. You most certainly can duck while in the air. This does affect the hitbox.

And another, more serious error... crouch (or walk, or prone, or holding still) does NOT increase your recharge rate. In all cases (at level 0) it takes 25 sec to recharge a full bar. So the whole crouching while doing X to get faster recharge question is moot. Time it yourself if you disagree :moo:

RTCW SP does have a feature that you recharge faster if holding still.