Tracking custom changes ?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Fenris

Tracking custom changes ?

Post by Fenris »

Hi

I was wondering whether it might be possible (and desired, I know I would like it but... :D ) to in some future release include some possibility of tracking what server made which change in your config, for example via the cvar_backup.cfg files ?

To explain what I mean, let me take this example. We were playing a tournament and one of the rounds took place on an opponents server. When joining this server I suddenly noticed I was recording a demo, I usually don't bother with that myself, and so sstopped it and assumed I had just accidentally touched the "start demo" button I have.
Turned out to be the server forces cg_autoaction to 7 (i.e. demo), so it was then enabled for all gameplay until I found that out.

Another time, a friend of mine was saying that after joining another matchserver (or was it the same, we do not quite remember...) he had some very strange sensitivity settings. So we checked the cvar backups and found his original settings.

Now it's great to be able to find out what you're settings were if you want to restore them, but would it be possible to include a comment in the cfg-file about which server that changed the setting that the backup file refers to, so to be able to track this (and if needed also ask the owner about the cause, or avoid playing there) ?

Just a thought since my backups used to be filled with those pesky ati settings (that I even don't know what they're there for but nevermind... :)), but lately I seem to find all sorts of small changes in them, like some servers forcing demo recordings, other changing the look and place of the compass, still others making changes I really don't know what they affect and so on, and I'm thinking soon someone will change something that I can't find and reverse and I'm stuck with some annoying settings :shock:
hiro

Post by hiro »

Excellent idea, one of our players just posted a similar thing.
would be handy for etpro to make cvarbackup like this

r_subdivisions 90 // cvar seta r_subdivisions in 1 and 64 (or however it's written)
recording that and the name or ip of the server in question would help a lot of players out.
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Yes, let's just hope it's possible and bani think's it's worthwhile :D
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Fenris wrote:Yes, let's just hope it's possible and bani think's it's worthwhile :D
This is in 3.1.15 :moo:
cvar backup files now include information about the server and the reason for the cvar changes.
send lawyers, guns and money