Console Behaviour Fix

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

KingJackaL

Console Behaviour Fix

Post by KingJackaL »

Very low urgency, but thought I'd mention it in case you don't have it on your radar. Also unsure as to whether or not you can fix this within a mod, but anyways:

Console Behaviour

There is a maximum number of lines stored in the client console's buffer for display. You cannot scroll up past this maximum number of lines (would make no sense - you'd only see nothingness). If your console position is non-0 (bottom entry), when new text arrives in the console it is added to the end of the buffer, lines are removed from the start of the buffer - and your position is incremented so that you stay viewing the same command.

Nothing wrong so far, but....

Console 'Bug'

If your position is non-0, and enough text enters the buffer to cause your position to exceed the maximum length of the buffer - your position continues to be incremented, past the length of the buffer. This of course means that your console is positioned in nothingness, and hitting page-down will slowly decriment your position until you eventually reach the text again.

Most Common Reproduction

Join a server, bring down console, hit page-up. Reconnect a couple of times, or play a few rounds or whatever (each map load prints out the list of all your pk3's, which is the fastest way of eating up the console buffer). Bring down console again - it's unusable. The only way to get to the text is to hold 'page-down' for a very long period before you get back to the buffer, or quit ET entirely and restart it.

Improved Behaviour

IMHO, the position should be clamped to the size of that buffer. There's no point to having it pointing into nothing, and it's frustrating having to scroll for a long period of time to get to anything visible.

</verypettyrant>

:)

[edit]and ffs KJ, put it in the right forum >_< v45
Lagger

Re: Console Behaviour Fix

Post by Lagger »

KingJackaL wrote:The only way to get to the text is to hold 'page-down' for a very long period before you get back to the buffer, or quit ET entirely and restart it.
Ctrl-End, 'nuff said :P
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

Lagger wrote:
KingJackaL wrote:The only way to get to the text is to hold 'page-down' for a very long period before you get back to the buffer, or quit ET entirely and restart it.
Ctrl-End, 'nuff said :P
ZOMFG

ffs. I tried Shift-PageDown, Ctrl-PageDown and Alt-PageDown...

Ctrl END? That's so counter-intuitive. End/Home control the HORIZONTAL cursor position, PageUp/PageDown control the VERTICAL. Who decided to mix in the longer vertical command on the horizontal movement keys?

ffs...

ta >_>

[edit] And I notice that Ctrl-Home doesn't take you to the top of the buffer. It sets your position to 0 (and fixed on that line).

...makes... no... sense... consistency... gone... o_O
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

You can also use \clear to go back if you need to.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

KingJackaL wrote: Ctrl END? That's so counter-intuitive. End/Home control the HORIZONTAL cursor position, PageUp/PageDown control the VERTICAL. Who decided to mix in the longer vertical command on the horizontal movement keys?
ctrl+home and ctrl+end have been standard shortcuts since at least win 3.1
send lawyers, guns and money
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

KJ's one of those rare people who actually reads forums instead of using Home and End to get to the Post Reply button, so this concept is new to him.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i never use HOME and NED either since i go a scroll mouse :D

when ever i see a post of EagleReloaded i scroll over it

but i did knew the ctr+end lol i was told that ears ago when i had the same prob :D
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

when ever i see a post of EagleReloaded i scroll over it
<3 you too.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:i never use HOME and NED either
man NED is just going to be so disapointed... :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Ankan87

Post by Ankan87 »

u cloud use /clear and the consol will be down and empty very usefull :P