Announcer causing lag?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

gL1tch

Announcer causing lag?

Post by gL1tch »

I'm not sure when this changed but I've isolated it to the announcer.

Every time the announcer announces something in the game I get a huge green plateau in cg_lagometer. This didn't always happend and I'm note sure what might be causing it. Typically it freezes up my game for 2-3 seconds. This happens every time the announcer announces something. Is there any possible way to fix this? Ideas?
techno

Post by techno »

if you mean when he says "Fight!" at the beginning of the round, there's *always* been a major lag spike there. it's been improved with recent versions of etpro, but it's still very noticable.

i've looked at the server logs, and for some reason when warmup finishes and the game starts proper, the server parses the whole configuration (or at least the pluggable .config) again. i really don't know why it needs to do this though, as it already does it at the *beginning* of the warmup.

this seems to be what causes the lag though...
techno

Post by techno »

i just remembered about the "we've captured the old city" etc announcer, i forgot he even existed :oops: i guess this is what you're talking about.

try increasing \com_soundmegs to allocate more memory to sound :?: -that's the only thing i can think of...

(though what i said in the last post is still relavent, and i wouldn't mind knowing why it parses the config at warmup AND game start)
mortis

Post by mortis »

using 3D sound on some chipsets can cause precipitous frame rate drops. Just use regular stero sound. and increase your SoundMegs. and your Hunkmegs.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

The onboard audio also causes noticable FPS drops on many system.
send lawyers, guns and money
gL1tch

Post by gL1tch »

I use a plantronics DSP500 headset. The sound is generated by the chipset in the usb device. It's never had this problem before on any system. This just started happening recently 2months. I've reformatted and checked just about everything. It still appears that whenever the guy announces something I freeze.

Maybe some other suggestions I could try?
mortis

Post by mortis »

I would reinstall the sound drivers, increase memory allocations and check to see if there are any IRQ issues. FWIW, USB devices have always seemed to run a bit flaky to me, so maybe test to see if it happens when no USB devices in in use.

--Mortis