Using /guids to ban

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

-W0kk3L-

Using /guids to ban

Post by -W0kk3L- »

Is it possible to ban someone by it's /guids ID? I know this was still in development, but i don't hear anything new about it. I know it is possible to ban by IP or PB GUID, but regular players can't lookup those items. And IP isn't that ideal because it can be changed easily nowadays. Anyone?
Game on at CREW-NEXUS... running more than 25 gameservers @ 100mbit! Visit: http://www.crew-nexus.net/servers for connection info!!!
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

well guid isnt any better

normal guid is easy chanced nowdays
etpro-guid is also pretty easely chanced [13333333333333333337]

but af for banning i dunno if et is the same as rtcw in the way since rtcw jsut stored any banned guids on the server in a folder (root./wolf/bans on our serv) i think u can manuel ad one there
mortis

Post by mortis »

If you can narrow down a subnet enough, you can block an IP range long enough for the annoying person go to away.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Before banning by /guids you might want to read this
http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... 6172#59640
send lawyers, guns and money
-W0kk3L-

Post by -W0kk3L- »

I know banning by IP is a sollution, but not THE sollution. Besides regular players can't find the IP of a player, so admins always need to scan the logs, which is very much time-consuming. That's why i'm looking for a simple way for regular players to report cheaters with GUID and/or IP to our CheatR system (http://www.crew-nexus.net/cheatr).
Game on at CREW-NEXUS... running more than 25 gameservers @ 100mbit! Visit: http://www.crew-nexus.net/servers for connection info!!!
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

you can only ban by pb guid/ip right now, it takes all of 3 secs to get a new guid
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi,

If you have the possibility to use etadmin_mod (you need a shell for that, or your hoster has to install it),

you can
a) ban with etpro guids (which, we all now are fakeable, or UNKNOWN sometimes or even the same (for win98 users)
b) have commands for your admins only to show them the IP, GUID, and other stuff, that might be interesting.

for example:

Code: Select all

[alias]
info			= m <PLAYER> "^3info&#58; ^7<PART2CNAME> ^7guid&#58; <PART2GUID>^7, ip&#58; <PART2IP>"
You could also use:

Code: Select all

# IP Bans &#40;works with all &#40;etmain, etpro, shrub&#41;&#58;
addip                   = addip <PARAMETER>
removeip                = removeip <PARAMETER>
listip                  = g_banIPs
to give your admins the possibility to add temporary ip/bans. g_banIPs is reset on server restart.

Greets
Mark
Get owned at: Gaming@d1p.de (217.172.182.126:27960)
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
-W0kk3L-

Post by -W0kk3L- »

Ok, i'll take a look at that mod. Any other suggestions are welcome :)
Maybe the ETPro crew can take a deeper look at this problem. It's still an issue for (probably) most ET admins.
sztanpet

Post by sztanpet »

just ban him, and set that pb feature that doesnt let the user in with for example only 1 day old guid, its quite effective
if think its called pb_guidminage or somethin like that
go to look at the manual
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i don't think that works...
My Website
-W0kk3L-

Post by -W0kk3L- »

It's just weird that there isn't a descent ban system in ET.... Maybe the ETPRO admins can take a look at this problem again, and maybe introduce something that is a bit usefull. Maybe not waterproof, but at least a way that players can report cheaters with an actual ID that is bannable.
fretn

Post by fretn »

its not weird, its a free game, so getting a "cd-"key doesnt cost any money
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

fretn wrote:its not weird, its a free game, so getting a "cd-"key doesnt cost any money
does not make it less crucial.. i never really concidered cheating as a real threat, cause it has seemed like PB would catch em sooner or later (rather sooner)..

theese days i see really effective multihacks/bots..that;

1. They are extremely well made (better than ever)
2. They are very hard to spot/detect just by spectating (part of the concept)
3. They work fine with any anticheat system

they have been there for months..but recently some were posted at www.xfire.be and now i almost run into aimbots/hacks on daily basis.
Ghost//sol-uk

bans

Post by Ghost//sol-uk »

gotenks wrote:i don't think that works...
works very well inconjunction with etadmin_mod , but obviously doesn't allow new players on the server.. also if your admins re-install ET for example, then even they cannot get in lol..as they have new GUID to.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

squadjot wrote:
fretn wrote:its not weird, its a free game, so getting a "cd-"key doesnt cost any money
does not make it less crucial.. i never really concidered cheating as a real threat, cause it has seemed like PB would catch em sooner or later (rather sooner)..
I remember a cheat that was undetected by pb for over a year (worked on all opengl games, COD, ET, RTCW, etc) when etpro anticheat came out, it was blocked, arround a week later pb finially blocked it
Ghost//sol-uk wrote:
gotenks wrote:i don't think that works...
works very well inconjunction with etadmin_mod , but obviously doesn't allow new players on the server.. also if your admins re-install ET for example, then even they cannot get in lol..as they have new GUID to.
just back up their etkey file... then they have their old guid ;)

and also, not everyone has the ability to run etadminmod
My Website