Feature Request - b_removeartillery

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

maarten144

Post by maarten144 »

Nellie- wrote: I agree with regards to the 3v3 config though, could work nicely. The focus of 3v3's being more aim/teamplay based. Be a great cvar to have if it's possible.
3v3=aimbased
6v6=teamplay
There is not much teamplay in 3on3 other then sticking together, 3v3 is so much easier then 6v6 cause you know where everyone is. If a clan can pwn in 6v6 thén there is teamplay. Secondly deej is partially right first time I played etpro I was shocked! Selfkills were so dumb (now i love it tho) and dead medics wouldnt give healthpacks and more stuff like that, however deej I think its safe to say that etpro>etpub even on public servers. So perhaps making some stuff go away raises the bar for other people to play competitive it did make the game better imo. ET is atm well balanced imo.
c'est moi, g-man ^^
irc: #clan.impera @quakenet
Gamersdatabase
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

Don't want to seem like i'm flaming, but the large majority of competitive players would laugh at those comments Ragnar_40k, [pH*Deus] & deej. You're in a very small minority.

@ maarten144
3v3=aim/teamplay-based
6v6=spam with a bit of aim

How anyone can be against the option to remove it baffles me, and the fact you quote xp as a factor makes your argument kinda irrelevant.
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

Nellie- wrote:Don't want to seem like i'm flaming, but the large majority of competitive players would laugh at those comments Ragnar_40k, [pH*Deus] & deej. You're in a very small minority.
I know.
But when you remove XP, make vehicles superfast and limit heavy weapons/signals to uselessness you should play RtCW instead.
The Emperor watch over you.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

Ragnar_40k wrote:
Nellie- wrote:Don't want to seem like i'm flaming, but the large majority of competitive players would laugh at those comments Ragnar_40k, [pH*Deus] & deej. You're in a very small minority.
I know.
But when you remove XP, make vehicles superfast and limit heavy weapons/signals to uselessness you should play RtCW instead.
lol moverspeed 1000 ftw lol j/k
honestly as i said, i don't know if it's a bad idea, i haven't really heard a good reason to support it, just limit the FO to 1 per team in a 3x3 match and walla little spam as the FO will be buisy doing other stuff
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
McNite

Post by McNite »

If you get killed by artillery it might be not skill by the FO, but it certainly shows lack of skill and awareness for the player that got killed.

And, yes... if you guys want to play SMG only... go play Quake or RtCW. Crippling ET off everything that makes it ET is seriously stupid. And if you can't cope with different weapons/tacs used against you but start complaining and want it to be removed... well i m waiting for the day you want b_removeopponent because he just killed you.
maarten144

Post by maarten144 »

walking in arty is quite stupid yes. @ nellie, were did i quote xp?
Anyways as i said it might be a good idea for 3on3 but i fear that some naab config creaters will do the same for 6on6 and seriously then its not ET anymore. Go play some smg game then.
c'est moi, g-man ^^
Gamersdatabase
deej

Post by deej »

That's a sweet idea Ragnar 8)!
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
deej

Post by deej »

On xfire.be we would be yes. But I don't think xfire.be is actually too representative for the whole comp community. If it is, then the comp community only wants to excell at posting one-liners and being childish...

The clans that signed for our Cup for example are not the average xfire attitude bearing clans. They play for the fun and I'm betting there are much more of those types of players then the so called "high-skilled" clans.

All that's happening now is that the "Global" Config is being pushed towards more & more RTCW settings to keep the "old big names" from leaving. Well IMO that's like making an F1 utterly slow so that Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill & Alain Prost could still drive them and win because they liked their old cars so much...

I think that's a completely wrong way of working and it has a negative impact on the life span of the great game ET is.

To sum it up: I think there's a far greater public that would be lured into competitive playing if competitive play would be less than the average attitude displayed on xfire.be ;-) and the configs wouldn't match that attitude.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Nellie- wrote: 3v3=aim/teamplay-based
:lol:

So you can pwn at 6v6 if you are good at spam but have bad aim and teamplay ?
send lawyers, guns and money
maarten144

Post by maarten144 »

hehe, imo if a clan can own in 6v6 then they are really good. Cause getting proper teamplay for 6v6 is much harder then 3v3.
c'est moi, g-man ^^
Gamersdatabase
wipeout

Post by wipeout »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
Nellie- wrote: 3v3=aim/teamplay-based
:lol:

So you can pwn at 6v6 if you are good at spam but have bad aim and teamplay ?
You can have worse aim and teamplay than your enemy and cover it all up by spam.

Supply Depot:
- Engineer builds CP in the beginning -> decreased chargetime
- 3 FieldOps in rotation (some players switch classes almost every spawn)
-> except for a few seconds you will be able to let arty's rain down at the garage entrance and the enemy is unable to enter the garage
- axis run out of the garage shortly before respawn to push back and (try to) kill the (remaining) allies so they're unable to enter the garage in the short time the axis aren't on their defending positions

It might be skill but not really the kind of skill that makes a game interesting.
(yes, it's really boring to
a) play this kind of defence
b) attack against this kind of defence
c) watch a game with this kind of defence)

This is one of the more extreme examples but you see similar stuff on other maps either (and even in all the other stages of supply depot).
deej wrote:All that's happening now is that the "Global" Config is being pushed towards more & more RTCW settings to keep the "old big names" from leaving. Well IMO that's like making an F1 utterly slow so that Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill & Alain Prost could still drive them and win because they liked their old cars so much...
So RtCW = Skill (aim/teamplay)?
Cause that's what they want to do, make the game more skill (aim, teamplay) dependent and more appealing to the audience.

edit:
I forgot something:
Your F1 analogy isn't really good. F1 cars 10+ years back were harder to drive. Just take a look at the evolution in the last years.
When the FIA allowed all that stuff like traction control and so on (some seasons back), Niki Lauda said (not sure about the exact words) "You could let monkeys drive these cars."
And at the same time the FIA always tried making the cars slower and more secure. The next step will be 8-Cylinder engines instead of 10.
Last edited by wipeout on Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
McNite

Post by McNite »

What you want isn't remove the artillery but reduce it, and that s already available by the limits to classes per team.

Wanting to remove something completely because some teams come up with a nice idea of 3 field ops is stupid overreacting. Its like banning cars because there are traffic accidents. I really recommend you think in more detail about the problem and how to solve it WITHOUT destroying all of the benefits too.

Apart from that... u can use artispam only right in front of the first bunker and on its exits.
If you stick to 3 FO defending the main gate you ll be screwed up cuz that compound has 3 entrances (yea funny there are sidewalls), and a team with 3 or less medics has a serious problem in 6on6.
wipeout

Post by wipeout »

McNite wrote:What you want isn't remove the artillery but reduce it, and that s already available by the limits to classes per team.
A max of 2 FieldOps would still be sufficient to spam (alot).
And it wouldn't change our point that artillery is a delaying and unattractive (from a viewers point) weapon compared to an airstrike. And if you don't want to remove it you should atleast make it less attractive (for the defending team) compared to an airstrike, eg. by making it use more bar than an airstrike.
McNite wrote:Wanting to remove something completely because some teams come up with a nice idea of 3 field ops is stupid overreacting. Its like banning cars because there are traffic accidents. I really recommend you think in more detail about the problem and how to solve it WITHOUT destroying all of the benefits too.
Benefits? The only benefit for the attacking team I can think of atm is radar (to push axis from certain positions when attacking the radar parts)
McNite wrote:Apart from that... u can use artispam only right in front of the first bunker and on its exits.
If you stick to 3 FO defending the main gate you ll be screwed up cuz that compound has 3 entrances (yea funny there are sidewalls), and a team with 3 or less medics has a serious problem in 6on6.
No, you can block the street to the cp, you can block the main gate so allies are unable to plant. And even if they open the east entrance for example, it isn't that hard defending just one open entrance.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

all you have to remember, is arty falls in a pattern... learn the pattern and you can make it through, relatively unscaved
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
maarten144

Post by maarten144 »

wipeout wrote:You can have worse aim and teamplay than your enemy and cover it all up by spam.

Supply Depot:
- Engineer builds CP in the beginning -> decreased chargetime
- 3 FieldOps in rotation (some players switch classes almost every spawn)
-> except for a few seconds you will be able to let arty's rain down at the garage entrance and the enemy is unable to enter the garage
- axis run out of the garage shortly before respawn to push back and (try to) kill the (remaining) allies so they're unable to enter the garage in the short time the axis aren't on their defending positions
That is ridiculous, a low skilled non-teamplay non-aim having team will never think of switching classes for the benifit of arty. And whats so bad about putting arty on the depot entrace? Damn go play some other game then ET is not and i hope will never be just a simple shooting game. Dont walk in the arty I would say. And it is fun to play.

You say arty is innatractive from a viewers point? Perhaps from your viewers point not mine, so dont try to speak for the community;) I like a game were peeps run into arty. ET without FFE or support fire would never have become so popular. Take a look at gotenks comment aswell i suggest.
c'est moi, g-man ^^
Gamersdatabase