Feature Request - b_removeartillery

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Nellie-

Feature Request - b_removeartillery

Post by Nellie- »

This has been discussed to some length over at xfire http://www.xfire.be/?x=column&mode=item&id=215 and i must stress this suggestion is for competition play (though ofc could be used on pubs...).

Seeing the recent implementations of b_pronedelay, which is one of the three major issues for any competitive etplayer, i was hoping that the etpro team could create a similar cvar for the removal of artillery.

Artillery is the spammiest and most unskilled weapon in ET, and imho the removal could improve the longerity and playability of ET for us all. The collumn i linked to gives justification for my reasoning. (there's also a poll, the for/against is pretty much the same as a similar poll when xp was first removed...)

I understand there is currently g_heavyweaponrestriction which can be used to control arti, however this would also affect Air Canisters which is not what we're aiming for.

So the balls in your court, if anyone would be so kind as to give us the option to test playing without arti whilst still using air canisters in future etpro releases it'd be great.

Cheers

I've finally registered! x)
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i disagree that arty is lower skill then the air strike canister...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

As i said read the collumn for justification, but an air can is gone after 5 seconds and so has to be timed and be in the right place whilst people are there. Whereas an arti can be fired in a chokepoint, 11 seconds later you get your frag without you having to be in the vicinity. Artis are also primarily used by the defending team so could help balance ET's defensivly biased maps.

We could debate this for ever, but during a scrim artis are the spammiest weapon in the game. All i'm asking is for the option to play without arti, we have the option to tweek prone...

Cheers :}
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

F2, nerf meds - not fopseses
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

F2, uberstupid idea
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

don't think it's a stupid idea persay, just not well backed up...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
maarten144

Post by maarten144 »

It good be a good idea, though imo the problem with fullhold maps is the map itself and not spam. But I think that this option could be used for the 3on3 config only. Imo arty is part of the game and the game it self is quite well balanced. I would rather suggest the removal of mortar if you plan on balancing the game more. If you wish to play a game only for the close combat (meaning only shooting 1on1) then I think you've picked the wrong game;) But as i said this idea might work for 3on3 config.
c'est moi, g-man ^^
irc: #clan.impera @quakenet
Gamersdatabase
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

Think there's only Battery where the mortar is used effectivly by the axis, it has no real place in any of the other maps so would make little difference.

I agree with regards to the 3v3 config though, could work nicely. The focus of 3v3's being more aim/teamplay based. Be a great cvar to have if it's possible.
Imo arty is part of the game and the game it self is quite well balanced
Lol just noticed that bit, madness.
Last edited by Nellie- on Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deus

Post by Deus »

Nellie- wrote:Think there's only Battery where the mortar is used effectivly by the axis, it has no real place in any of the other maps so would make little difference.
I take this as a rumour.
what about mortaring the guns on oasis after plant?
or the axis bank spawn exits on goldrush?
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

I'm talking about the defending team, you simply backed up my point with the oasis guns.

As for mortar @ Grush lol, doubt you'll find many clans using that tactic. On a pub server however....so irrelevant :}
hiro

Post by hiro »

The mortar is not really a defensive weapon, it is far more useful for clearing out entrenched defenders to create an opening to attack. unless of course your opponents are foolish enough to keep running into it - same goes for artilliarly, really.

removing artilliary for 6v6 smacks of laziness, but for 3v3 it has merit. But then again, in 3v3 to call arty is a big decision as if it fails to do its job you have wasted a charge bar and lost momentum.

fwiw I find airstrikes & arty far more useful a tool to smoke out the enemy so they are either out of position or move into your crosshairs, than it is for outright killing them.
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

Keeping mortar on vehicles or construction boxes can be very effective.
The Emperor watch over you.
deej

Post by deej »

IMO the more you remove stuff from ET the shorter it's life span is getting cause it deters new players from moving from public play to competitive play.

If you look at the Global 6 vs 6 config as it is today, so much stuff has been already taken out that the fun is really reduced to a minimum.

When it becomes an SMG soldier game with 2 HS for a kill I migth as well go play CS:S or DOD:S.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Deus

Post by Deus »

Don't like the global config either.
The name is ridiculous, the settings are even more ridiculous! :x
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

deej wrote:IMO the more you remove stuff from ET the shorter it's life span is getting cause it deters new players from moving from public play to competitive play.

If you look at the Global 6 vs 6 config as it is today, so much stuff has been already taken out that the fun is really reduced to a minimum.
Maybe a XP-multiplicator would bring XP back to competition (imho XP is one of the main features of ET): the attacking team gets XP x-times faster than the defending team.
The Emperor watch over you.