What would you like to change in the Global config?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

squadjot

Post by squadjot »

well again... if someone thinks that the r_depthbits bug is serious enough.. i wont bother if they restrict that too.. to me its not about how many cvars, or to keep it few as possible.. if they DO make noticeable difference and is exploitable..then i dont mind it being restricted.. its about making it fair for all.
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

squadjot wrote:its about making it fair for all.
everyone can use depthbits 16 and/or lodcurveerror x without any cheatin toolz, haxz etc.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

jUmp3r wrote:
squadjot wrote:its about making it fair for all.
everyone can use depthbits 16 and/or lodcurveerror x without any cheatin toolz, haxz etc.
yes .. what i say is, if anyone wanted them to be restricted i woundt mind it.. In the old days (quake3 rtcw) those two cvars could actually make a difference, and there was an arguable reason to keep those cvars "free", so people with slow computers could tweak them and gain a few frames per second. Today the hardware is much more powerfull and those two "tweaks" will not really give any significant fpsgain, however , personally i dont really care about them..i dont see them as really "usefull" exploits.. and i dont even use it im my config. I wont mind if those got restricted. As i see it only reason not to restrict those cvars, would be if theres issues with old vidcards that requires r_depthbits 16 to play ET.
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

my two cents :
* b_noskillupgrades 0 <- xp back
* b_riflegrenades 1 <- so nobody takes off riflenades from their server on an official game
* team_maxMines 8 <- because it encourages more engineers for defense.
* b_levels_??? "20 50 -1 -1" <- levels can be limited to level 2, so it won't create a gap between the teams. (b_levels_engineer, b_levels_medic, etc)

And btw, a lot of people play in clanbase or the other big leagues because of the popularity and thus variety of teams, nearly all the people i know (including several cb admin *cough* i talked to *cough) didn't like the original caps that much.
so i'm not sure if giving the people the config they want will help, but i hope it would.
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

Svartberg wrote:my two cents :
* b_noskillupgrades 0 <- xp back
* b_riflegrenades 1 <- so nobody takes off riflenades from their server on an official game
* team_maxMines 8 <- because it encourages more engineers for defense.
* b_levels_??? "20 50 -1 -1" <- levels can be limited to level 2, so it won't create a gap between the teams. (b_levels_engineer, b_levels_medic, etc)

And btw, a lot of people play in clanbase or the other big leagues because of the popularity and thus variety of teams, nearly all the people i know (including several cb admin *cough* i talked to *cough) didn't like the original caps that much.
so i'm not sure if giving the people the config they want will help, but i hope it would.
Thank God you have no say in things.
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

Nellie- wrote:Thank God you have no say in things.
He asked what we'd want to see, i answered what i want to see.
I'm sure noone here will agree with me because anyone who did quited this game long ago.
Deus

Post by Deus »

Svartberg wrote:
Nellie- wrote:Thank God you have no say in things.
He asked what we'd want to see, i answered what i want to see.
I'm sure noone here will agree with me because anyone who did quited this game long ago.
I did not quit this game, but i refuse to play with that (put your favorite curse-string here) config.

If I want to play RtCW --> I do play RtCW.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

except that RTCW clearly has the better gameplay, while ET(Pro) is clearly better built. so if you could take ET and turn it into what RTCW would have been had Rhea continued OSP, or if Bani had made RTCWPro...

that would be swell, IMO.

i'd be playing RTCW if not for the glaring lack of decent antilag and hit detection. because of where i live, i am *never* at a ping advantage - i'm always among the higher pings on any given server. games without antilag are *purely* about ping, and are simply too frustrating for me to enjoy. hence i am such a fan of ET(Pro). the antilag and hit detection are superb. but the game has aspects which i could certainly do without.

that said, it is what it is and there's no point whining about it. either play it, or don't - or you can lobby to change it.

i'd love to see an RTCW-style ladder in NA like they did in CB.
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

ouroboro wrote:except that RTCW clearly has the better gameplay, while ET(Pro) is clearly better built. so if you could take ET and turn it into what RTCW would have been had Rhea continued OSP, or if Bani had made RTCWPro...

that would be swell, IMO.
Exactly, ET with the new cb config didn't turn to rtcw (it will need a global weapon tweaking and quite a few more things, which would eventually lead to copyright issues).
Both Rtcw and ET were well thought for games, most of the features worked well together, and obviously led to different games.

I enjoyed them both, but ET turned into something else.
more about personal shooting skills, much less diverse teams, way quicker games.
I remember when the noxp was brought here and on cb the arguements were the same, nerfing the defense since it gains more xp and nerfing medic/soldiers - the majority of the players were always with keeping the xp (or limiting to lvl2 as i said) since it would change and "ruin" the game. (too many reasons to write here and bore you with)
A lot of top players from that time were against the noxp thing and the max mines change (i believe dsky.kotkis had a thread here about max mines, a lot of good insights there).
ET got boring to a lot of teams and players (including most teams/players i knew, and several clans i was in), you might say every game would get bored after a few years, but i'm sure one of the reasons it got bored was the lack of diversity and same old medic shooter games.
I'm surprised deus is still playing this (though he says he doesn't play with those configs), but most players reading this topic are the ones who like the xp, hence everyone reading this wouldn't agree with me :)

I believe everyone were right at the end, the ones against the xp and the ones for the xp, but both sides only saw the arguments from their side and ignored the counter ones, what we see nowdays is a different game, some like it more this way, some don't.
ouroboro wrote:that said, it is what it is and there's no point whining about it. either play it, or don't - or you can lobby to change it.
Of course what i say won't change anything, but whining is always fun :D
And i already knew where this game was heading about a year ago, and i knew whoever had a saying in these things wouldn't listen to the players (in spite of the fact it was the majority of them against it), so that means things will stay as they are now.
Ultimatly etpro dev and the big cb kahunaas were against xp, it was obvious sooner or later it would be implement (luckily bani made a vote about it, and the majority were against noxp, it was implemented a year later than it was supposed to, contributing to interesting cup matches in these year)

I respect the fact this thread was started to listen to players request, but it should have been done right when the first gameplay limiting (max mines) was adopted by cb, nowdays most player playing this game obviously like those configs.
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

Too much to quote so I'm gonna generalize Svartberg.

The fact is, vanilla ET and the standard maps where made for campaigns where the objective should take around 15-20 minutes.

What we have here, and at CB is a competitive game. What good are totally biased maps, configs and classes when the objective is to set the fastest time? You might as well play 20 man xp save shrub comps.

"ET turned into something else" - yes competitively it did, we went from 20 minute spam fests to faster more fun scrims. As for people not agreeing with your points about xp, I reiterate. This is a competition mod, there's plenty forums full of public server players that will whole heartedly agree. ET hasn't changed, ET competitively has.

As for people at the time being against the removal of xp, go run a poll of the 250 clans competing in this season’s OpenCup, let’s see how many want it reintroduced. Pretty certain they’ll be in a minority.
maarten144

Post by maarten144 »

dont see a problem with it returning. Not for lightweapons perhap, but for engineer stuff, battle sense. In RL if you do something more often youll get better in it. Same could be in a competitive mod. But i also dont mind without it.
c'est moi, g-man ^^
irc: #clan.impera @quakenet
Gamersdatabase
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

8 mines make me cry. Mines are primarily defensive weapons, and they also take relatively little skill to plant.
Decade

Post by Decade »

dA*Rogue wrote:8 mines make me cry. Mines are primarily defensive weapons, and they also take relatively little skill to plant.
But it takes skill to avoid them, for example by switching to covert for one spawn, and/or preventing engineers to replant them.
deej

Post by deej »

dA*Rogue wrote:Mines are primarily defensive weapons, and they also take relatively little skill to plant.
It takes skill to plant them where people don't expect them. If you plant in obvious places of course it seems less skilled. Same with panzer. It doesn't take skill to kill one with 1 panzershot, it takes skill to kill 3 or 4.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

It's not the same, mines and panzer. Pf asks for timing skill, landmines don't. Some one can tell you where to plant mines and you are leet, not same with panzer, you realy have to learn to be a good pf