r_wolffog 0 = slap in the face for mappers

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

McNite

r_wolffog 0 = slap in the face for mappers

Post by McNite »

Ok guys, i m only interested in etpro for our server so i didnt follow any discussion on its development.

But one thing i got to say about r_wolffog. That s like the crappiest idea for a cvar in the whole etpro history... even worse than the bug with the command map icons.

Guys, when a mapper puts fog into a map its there for a purpose. And that is gameplay and looks. Gameplay because you don't want the players be able to see all the distance. And looks because you want that effect look real, and that is fog.
And removing it really makes maps with a proper use of fog hellofalotofFUCKINGUGLY.

So I just accidentally had a look at TheRiver II Redux with r_wolffog 0. First... tbh it completely destroys the atmosphere of the map.
Second... the fog was put into the map for gameplay purposes. Which were to give the snipers a disadvantage, and now exactly that is gone because its clear view all over.

Summary from my point of view: Great job at screwing something up.
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

Lol what do etpro have to do with this? Punkbuster removed the restriction...

There's nowt stopping you forcing it to 1 on your server.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

nobody cares about atmosphere for competition. ideally you'd want nothing to inhibit your view.

but as Nellie said - wrong place.
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

I mostly agree (Except that it's an ETPro bug, which is quite isn't), but hey, if the map was made well, it isn't an advantage to anyone to turn off fog, unless the contrast between the fog and the enemy's uniform is so low they can't see the person in front of the fog.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

ouroboro wrote:nobody cares about atmosphere for competition. ideally you'd want nothing to inhibit your view.
Yeah that nasty tank should be invisible too, it always blocks my view (why do I have to run after it anyway?). Not to mention the trees and brushes. And all those hills and stairs, I always have to climp up and down - this sucks and has nothing to do with competition. Blasting up things is bad too, since it forces some players to go engineer, but everyone knows the only true competition class is Medic! And why for gods sake do I have to carry gold crates around?

So I demand:
  • Only a big cube as map - no visuals that hinder competition. And map loading time improves significantly.
  • Only medic class allowed (all other classes suck).
  • Better player skins - you can tell far better who is the enemy when one team is only red and the other is fully blue.
  • Additionally player models should reflect the hitboxes - so please add cubic playermodels.
  • Realoding sucks and is unfair ("I would own this guy, but I had to reload!!!111").
Some of my suggestions will also improve FPS, so anybody can get good values.
The Emperor watch over you.
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

And there it is, token extremism because you've not got a valid point. Sad really...
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

wtf? taking a clear point and extending it way beyond reason > *
bani
Site Admin

Re: r_wolffog 0 = slap in the face for mappers

Post by bani »

McNite wrote:Ok guys, i m only interested in etpro for our server so i didnt follow any discussion on its development.

But one thing i got to say about r_wolffog. That s like the crappiest idea for a cvar in the whole etpro history... even worse than the bug with the command map icons.

Guys, when a mapper puts fog into a map its there for a purpose. And that is gameplay and looks. Gameplay because you don't want the players be able to see all the distance. And looks because you want that effect look real, and that is fog.
And removing it really makes maps with a proper use of fog hellofalotofFUCKINGUGLY.

So I just accidentally had a look at TheRiver II Redux with r_wolffog 0. First... tbh it completely destroys the atmosphere of the map.
Second... the fog was put into the map for gameplay purposes. Which were to give the snipers a disadvantage, and now exactly that is gone because its clear view all over.

Summary from my point of view: Great job at screwing something up.
this has absolutely nothing to do with etpro. it's a punkbuster issue. if you have a problem with it, direct your complaints to the punkbuster developers. or maybe those individuals who lobbied punkbuster to make the change in the first place.
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

...and simply don't forcecvar it on your own server (it's still cheat protected).
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

as for this you should thank to evenbalance for allowing these easier on cheats..
Also another easy cheat for unpure servers....
@Ragnarok : isnt there Q3/Q4 for that :roll:
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

well, i agree with you McNite, but as others said, it has nothing to do with etpro.
McNite

Post by McNite »

Ok I was informed wrong then, sorry for letting off steam in etpro-direction then.
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

close & lock...
BTW ET and most other game's fog is liniear so it has nothing to do with real fog it is just this problem
As it is on this picture you can see that things on your side are visible, but in front of you are behind fog, so if you turn fog border turns too..
It just looks good on screenshots but feel bad..
here is image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/jaquboss/fog.jpg
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
McNite

Post by McNite »

Wow I read the xfire thread...

Didnt think you can get such stupid reasoning... like wow my fps go from 190 to 227 now that s leet... no comment. :shock: :roll:
I don't think Ragnar is too far from what you d get if minds like those could change the game the way they liked to.
deej

Post by deej »

I think McNite has a point that it can ruin a map that was made to look good with fog. On the other hand, comp players don't care that much about it "looking good". So that's why I did this in our SW .config:

Code: Select all

map default
{
	command "forcecvar r_wolffog 0"
}

map theriver2redux
{
	command "forcecvar r_wolffog 1"
}
My point beeing: it's the choice of the server admins to either turn on or turn off r_wolffog. A wise admin that knows his maps should know when to turn it on or off. I hope the people adapting the "Global" config will know what they're doing too.

The same goes for r_drawfoliage as well btw.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem