fps and etpro

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

Tragedy wrote:
Svartberg wrote: Notice something here, on crowded servers try going to an area far away from everyone, if you'll notice your fps is still low - this is because the lag is caused from the network sync.
however if your fps will get back to normal, this is clientside fps hit caused from more player models.
The problem seems to be in certain places on certain maps, for example on Goldrush the 2nd spawn for axis around the bridge and the courtyard is killer for me, and anywhere around Venice is horrible on FPS, imo the problem really started at 2.60 thats the furthest i can remember having the problem. It can't be Opengl or that kinda thing related since i can manage 100fps stable on a CS1.6 server, even CS source runs around 50-60 ok.. Just ET doesn't like something..

I can remember pre ETpro-3.1.9 before all those compatiability issues with ETpatch 2.60 when i could play stable 76-125 on a 5700FX, now around 60fps seems to be my fps now on the same maps with a graphics card twice as powerful. Others have reported issues.. I've read it could possibly be PB, but can PB do so much to lower fps? I thought PB at most could cause lag on your ping since its sending screenshot data or whatever but not on your FPS unless PB is requesting a lot of screenshots...

http://www.etnation.co.uk/index.php?nam ... pic&t=1881
ET isn't css man, it is well known that Enemy Territory takes less advantage of newer hardware than css or doom3 for example.
I got a 6800gt and it only increased my fps by around 20 over my 5600 (!), while on games like doom3 or so the increase was much more dramatic.
If you want good fps on ET invest in a strong computer, your 3000+ AMD is pretty weak for ET (i got a 2800+ AMD and i can't reach higher fps too)
And like i said, network is an issue too - always expect less fps on more crowded servers, or laggy ones.
Rookie One

Post by Rookie One »

Svartberg wrote:ET isn't css man, it is well known that Enemy Territory takes less advantage of newer hardware than css or doom3 for example.
I got a 6800gt and it only increased my fps by around 20 over my 5600 (!), while on games like doom3 or so the increase was much more dramatic.
Not true. A better video card just renders faster, it doesn't matter what graphic techniques are being used.
deej

Post by deej »

IIRC Q3 engine is more dependant on CPU power then Video card power. If you want to speed up ET you're better off upgrading your CPU then your Video card.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Tragedy

Post by Tragedy »

No but what i've been saying is, i used to hit really good fps but now i don't as though something has been added that either shouldn't of been or has been done wrong.. I know i have a weak CPU which is why i'm buying a new one this christmas but i don't see why 2 years today i could hit 125fps now i'm stuck on 50, you could say wear and tear but surely to that extent? I've known for a long time that ET is cpu dependent, but this doesn't explain why i can hit 125fps on 1 map and 50 on another, the graphics card is what renders the picture, if i can hit 125 it should stay at 125 not bob down to 40 looking at a bridge.

I did a test the other day on 1944_beach map and behind the 1st axis spawn through the door are 2 bushes these bushes BURN my fps to bits around 40, but going back through the door and looking over the beach and the forest on the left i get a constant 76... lol

I'm not sure what it could be but tbh it all started for me at the new ET patch 2.60... i think
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

if we had this situation.. you had to play the game of your life..and you HAD to choose between two following computer setups (cpu/grfx).

p4 3.4ghz - Geforce ti4600 (pretty old card)
p4 2.4ghz - Geforce 7800 GTX (highend)

personally i would choose setup no. 1, nodoubt
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Rookie One wrote: Not true. A better video card just renders faster, it doesn't matter what graphic techniques are being used.
The video card rendering faster doesn't help you if you are CPU, cache or bus limited, as ET tends to be on modern systems.

I did some benchmarking OCing my athlon 64 3000 and 6600gt. OCing the CPU (or HTT or RAM) gave a pretty linear performance increase. Overclocking the video card did essentially nothing, until I cranked it up to max quality 1280x1024/4xAA. This was done doing timedemos, which should be less CPU intensive than real online play.

However, before you decide your CPU is too weak and go out and spend a bunch of money, there are some other things you should check out:
- make sure that all your system drivers are correctly installed. Missing chipset driver can often result in horrible FPS).
- Make sure you aren't running any programs that interfere with ET. This inculdes viruses and spyware, as well as background services and stupid little tasktray apps. It has been noted that the recent versions of XFire cause big FPS drops in et if you have some of the game integration enabled.
- Find out what other people with similar systems are getting. If you get a lot less, there is most likely some problem with your system.

If you think ETPro is has caused a significant FPS drop with a certain version, and you can make a clear, reproducable demonstraton, maybe the ETPro team will be able to fix it.
send lawyers, guns and money
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

sometimes when my system gets buggy..i create a new user account, seems to fix some things ..maybe worth a try.
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

Check out your temperatures too, i had the same problem with my video card (6800gt) reaching 70+ degrees and cpu (amd 2800+) reaching 50+ degrees.
It still worked, but just slower, i thought it was normal - but i decided to open the case and i found large chunks of dust on the coolers (again this would have seen normal unless you would really stick your head inside the case).
Needless to say i removed the geforce from the socket and cleaned every bit of dust, and same for cpu.
Video card is now around 40-50 degrees and cpu is around 44degrees, fps jumped back to what they used to be.
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

Didn't play et for some time so i didn't notice my fps got worse until weak ago. On oasis on places i had 120-130 before i got only 95-100 now. In time demo i had back on 3.1.0 87 fps and now i have 62-63. I then tryed some older drivers and it's the same(when i had 87 fps, i wrote down all settings i had, bios, drivers and when i put everything back as it were then it doesn't help a bit) :( What's strange is that i have same fps in rtcw timedemo i had before, even better with newer drivers.

I'm updateing pb now and i'll try reinstaling et with 1.02 and etpro 3.1.0, tell you results later. If you have any ideas pls post them, thx.

Edit: Not a pb problem, just updated it and it's the same.
Just installed 3.1.0, on oasis i have 25% more fps when i run around @ oasis, in tunnels where i have 200fps @ 3.2.4 i have 250 @ 3.1.0. timedemo 3.1.0 = ~85 fps, 3.2.4 = ~62.
I belive it's etpro problem.
deej

Post by deej »

ETPro 3.1.0 = ET 2.56; 3.2.x = 2.60...
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

deej wrote:ETPro 3.1.0 = ET 2.56; 3.2.x = 2.60...
I was wrong, just tryed etmain on 2.60, it's patch.
333HitmaN

Post by 333HitmaN »

Well i think thats all bull

I <3 this game hav done for about 3 years and now, etpro has screwed it up....

i use to get 140>fps now i get <50, i am so pissed cause when 2 or more people shoot at me i lag and i completly miss them and i die, and that suxs in clan matchs

i hav proof thats its etpro

http://333.rrwebdesign.com/Forum/phpBB2 ... .php?t=489
i posted it on my clan foumrs but no one knew so it led me here.

plz fix this if its a bug or something cause i can't play me game :@
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Your proof is password protected.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
333HitmaN

Post by 333HitmaN »

let me move it

try it now
333HitmaN

Post by 333HitmaN »

i had found the problem out :\

its Xfire!

i closed everything down and i had 200fps and though wtf!! so then i opened xfire and it did vid_restart?? and it went to 40 fps :?

so theres the cure