cvar restricting

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

slappa

cvar restricting

Post by slappa »

after getting some pretty worthless feedback on xfire and the australian/nz forum, hopefully i can get some good discussion going here

pretty much, after much flaming about whether or not various people(s) do or do not use logitech/razor drivers etc to achieve a lower m_pitch than allowed in game, myself and another decided to see if you can monitor it. pretty basic, just some checking the settings where logitech/razor store the settings, then comparing the x and y speed settings, seeing if they are equal.

the rules of the australian/nz league is that any 3rd party app used to interface with et is against the rules, and using a lower m_pitch circumvents the current restriction, and i think the euro/US leagues are unlocking m_pitch to level the playing field due to on the fly x/y axis changes or similar which are possible using the new g5 etc mice, if this were somehow incorporated into etpro (can it?) or just a 3rd party anti"cheat" program, this would stop the need to level the playing field, as such.

my biggest concern arises from various scripts that people have posted, such as shoot toggles and other binds to change m_pitch (coupled with out of game programs). this would be increasingly prevalent if the US/euro leagues totally unlock m_pitch, given how accurate the smgs are, and if you toggle to 0 or low m_pitch whilst in various flat areas (ie controls on supply, near trucks on sp, etc) it would be pretty unfair, lower (in my opinion) the amount of skill needed, etc etc. of course, you could set limits on how often people can change their m_pitch, but what about fov/sensitivity/m_pitch toggles for long range?

i think that that's about all... what do other people think?
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

all these tweaks have cons you know, it's not uncommon that players with a long range toggle gets owned at short range because their sensitivity is unexpectedly low.

pitch lockers may have a lot of problems vs. proners. and you mention yourself, that pitch locking is only usable in some places. so now you have to correctly toggle it, to not give yourself a disadvantage?

using these things are a tradeoff, it's up to the individual whether or not they choose to use it.
slappa

Post by slappa »

so you're saying that, its up to whoever is getting m_pitched against has to prone?

i don't understand why people are always so opposed to it. how does it hurt you, unless you use low m_pitch?
Decade

Post by Decade »

True: it's harder to hit crouchers/proners, harder to gib, and if you keep the crosshair at head level after the first 10 shots most of the bullets will fly over your opponent's head because of the spread. Also it's not really hard to learn to move your mouse horizontally. :)

Basically if you bring the restriction back you'll have people who can use it and people who can't and that would be unfair. You surely can't check in etpro for all the methods of changing pitch externally.
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

slappa wrote:so you're saying that, its up to whoever is getting m_pitched against has to prone?

i don't understand why people are always so opposed to it. how does it hurt you, unless you use low m_pitch?
As the majority on xfire said, we simply see no advantage with m_pitch 0 - even for a toggle. Not that people are opposed to it, just seems a pretty useless restriction.

And yes prone > m_pitch
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

hint : you can lower your m_pitch, by setting your m_yaw higher and lowering your sens ;)

though quite a few experienced players i know actually stopped using m_pitch/yaw tweakings and it helped their acc, barely play ET these days to try myself.
those cvars restrictions are just as silly as a lot of other cvar restrictions, you can't argue against what the league's admin decide, no matter how silly most of their choices are (which automagically become a standard in all the other leagues, and makes changing league futile), but i'm getting out of the subject here ;)
slappa

Post by slappa »

http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/content/enem ... pitch.html

i'm sure that servers restrict yaw as well. am i just imagining that m_pitch would be a big advantage? is there a reason why, after so long, m_pitch is being unlocked? if it was seen as being unfair before, why is it now accepted? game developers throw in all kinds of cvars, which people find, and exploit, eg timenudge. are they meant to be exploited? no. i think m_pitch is like that. most games have m_pitch. but there is more recoil in cs than in et, so m_pitch is more of an issue with people exploiting.
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

yes, but you can tweak the yaw up a bit which makes the yaw goes down more in theory, but that's outside the current topic.

i haven't heard of this cvar unlocking coming now, but it's no big deal since if someone is too close to you his head would be in the upper area of the screen, and if he's too far he'll be somwhere around the middle, add in terrain settings - i don't see why unrestricting m_pitch will pose any exploitation, explain if it does.
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

You'll be happy with the new CB config, mainly this bit then ->

# m_pitch remain untouched
(we think unlocking m_pitch can hurt more than help)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

low m_pitch is simply because -in-most-cases- you want "faster" horizontal movement than vertical..

i understand those who play with teh low m_pitch 0.0151..but theres also a long way from "0" to "0.0151"
If "zero-vertical-movement/lock-at-headshot-height" , is really usefull.. i dont know.. i just know that it got restricted for being exploited that way.
It can work as a combined toggle / attack sctript.. as i imagine its only usefull at flat terrain..so..it would be something you would like to turn on off.. with a toggle.. lets say u were camping enemies next to a door opening..leaning to point out your targets.. then lock ur Y-mouse..and..do ur l337zor zigzag-moves. ..it could also be scripted so it only locks when u press mouse1(attack)..

i guess some would consider that as sploitz
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Nellie- wrote:You'll be happy with the new CB config, mainly this bit then ->

# m_pitch remain untouched
(we think unlocking m_pitch can hurt more than help)
More evidence that the CB admins have a very loose grasp on reality.

Clearly, allowing only some people to tweak a certain aspect of the game hurts more than letting everyone be on an equal playing field :?

As far as the effects on the game, my testing leads me to believe that unlocked m_pitch can give you some advantage, if you write a decent script and train yourself to use it. However, I don't think it's going to be a huge thing. Could be wrong, but only time will tell.

Restricting it with etpro ? That depends a lot how the individual drivers are implemented. The old registry hack would be quite easy to detect. I would suspect the ones that adjust on the fly might be less so.
send lawyers, guns and money
slappa

Post by slappa »

reyalP wrote:That depends a lot how the individual drivers are implemented. The old registry hack would be quite easy to detect. I would suspect the ones that adjust on the fly might be less so.
actually, it is quite easy to check. myself and another have identified the files/reg entries, and the other guy has coded something in c to compare the x and y sensitivity. it checks where logitech/razor drivers read the settings from periodically, so if you're using on-the-fly, it'll still get you
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

show bani the source. if there's some promise there, maybe it could be put into etpro. i support lifting the restriction, grudgingly, because of fairness. but if it were truly possible to enforce normal pitch settings, i can see no reason anyone would be against it - unless they are accustomed to using it.
Decade

Post by Decade »

I don't think you'll ever be able to catch all the pitch toggles. What if (for example) a Linux user just modifies the xorg source code for that purpose?
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

PB doesn't catch all cheaters, but we still use it...I don't think your reasoning is particularly relevant tbh (no offence intended).