Campaign issues

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Roadie

Campaign issues

Post by Roadie »

This has probably been posted a million times here, and believe me, I've searched this one out on Bani and many other ET forums, but still running into issues. I run an ETPro 3.2.4 server. It's also running on a Windows platform server, so some things may differ from those running on Linux.

My campaign files are as follows...Irenamed them to 3 and 4 to force d/l from server, rather than 1 and 2 which people already had, and found that to be a serious glitch with people's games crashing, or not loading the next map.

first campaign.

{
name "Clan -=WT=- C3"
shortname "cmpgn_wt3"
description "Welcome to Clan War Torn's public ETPro server*We run 2 campaigns of 8 maps*XP saves until end of campaign**Campaign 1*Maps:*Würzburg Radar*Special Delivery*Caen*Ice*FrostBite*Supply Depot*Dubrovnik*Gold Rush"
maps "radar;sp_delivery2;Caen;et_ice;frostbite;supplydepot2;dubrovnik_final;goldrush"
mapTC 374 374
type "wolfmp"
}

Second campaign

{
name "Clan -=WT=- C4"
shortname "cmpgn_wt4"
description "Welcome to Clan War Torn's public ETPro server*We run 2 campaigns of 8 maps*XP saves until end of campaign**Campaign 2*Maps:*Siwa Oasis*El Kef*Beer Run*V2 Base*Raw Castle*TC Base*Braundorf*Fuel Dump"
maps "oasis;sw_el_kef;beerrun_b7a;v2base_te;raw_b3;tc_base;braundorf_b4;fueldump"
mapTC 374 374
type "wolfmp"
}

And lastly, the campaigncycle

set d1 "campaign cmpgn_wt3; set nextcampaign vstr d2"
set d2 "campaign cmpgn_wt4; set nextcampaign vstr d1"

// server doesn't recognise the campaign command when the gamecode isn't running yet.
set d_initial "set g_gametype 4 ; map radar ; set nextcampaign vstr d2"
vstr d_initial

The problem we're running into is that while both campaigns run back to back very nicely, after the second, it hangs on the last map, and loops that map over and over unless someone votes start first campaign or forces it from ref or rcon. Once it is forced, it runs both campaigns without a hitch again, until the end of the second, and....well, you get the picture. Being stuck on goldrush repeatedly is just not my idea of fun, and having to babysit the server to make sure it rotates just sucks.

My admin and I have sat and looked this over and over and see nothing wrong with it. My only thoughts are that maybe one of the map's bsp names is causing an issue, or one of the maps doesn't like to be first or last. Appreciate the help, the rotation rocks, and has the server busy. I just don't have the time to constantly babysit it to force it back to the first campaign.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Maybe post this in the 'server admins' forum?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

1. you change the file, they'll have to redownload it, the name doesn't matter...
2. did it work before your change?
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

gotenks wrote:1. you change the file, they'll have to redownload it, the name doesn't matter...

The file does not d/l without namechange, that has been tested and proven on my own end, as well as other admin.

The former campaign worked, but was only 6 maps, and had some lame customs in it that we found fun on pub, but they suck on the pro mod, so we removed them, and added others, as well, went to 8 map campaigns.

You can see the lists above, as well as all cfg's that affect this. I've been over it, my other two main admin have been over it, and we see nothing wrong with any of the cfgs, not even the bsp names...thus my query!

Perhaps one of the maps we chose is causing an issue?
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

dA*Rogue wrote:Maybe post this in the 'server admins' forum?
If it's in the wrong forum, please, admin, move it. I have no issue with moving it, as long as I can find it again. Lots of content here, and admin vs the mod I run are sometimes difficult to differentiate, meant no harm in posting it here.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

Roadie wrote:
gotenks wrote:1. you change the file, they'll have to redownload it, the name doesn't matter...

The file does not d/l without namechange, that has been tested and proven on my own end, as well as other admin.
it ALLWAYS downloads when i do it... i have had 10 current.pk3's and ALL of them have downloaded, the md5 checksums are different, so the server downloads the new one and calls it current.<md5checksum>.pk3... so i don't know how well you tested this...
The former campaign worked, but was only 6 maps, and had some lame customs in it that we found fun on pub, but they suck on the pro mod, so we removed them, and added others, as well, went to 8 map campaigns.

You can see the lists above, as well as all cfg's that affect this. I've been over it, my other two main admin have been over it, and we see nothing wrong with any of the cfgs, not even the bsp names...thus my query!

Perhaps one of the maps we chose is causing an issue?
that's my guess, maybe post your old campaign file so we can narrow it down?
My Website
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Old campaign files.

{
name "Clan -=WT=- C1"
shortname "cmpgn_wt1"
description "Clan -=WT=- Campaign 1* *Maps:*radar*sw_goldrush_te*sw_oasis_b3*raw_te*et_ice*v2base_te*battery*fueldump"
maps "radar;sw_goldrush_te;sw_oasis_b3;raw_te;et_ice;v2base_te;battery;fueldump"
mapTC 374 374
type "wolfmp"
}

and

{
name "Clan -=WT=- C2"
shortname "cmpgn_wt2"
description "Clan -=WT=- Campaign 2* *Maps:*Caen*breakout*subway*sd4_wl1*dubrovnik_final*marketgarden_et_r2*transmitter*venice"
maps "Caen;breakout;subway;sd4_wl1;dubrovnik_final;marketgarden_et_r2;transmitter;venice"
mapTC 374 374
type "wolfmp"
}

Old campaigncycle.

set d1 "campaign cmpgn_wt1; set nextcampaign vstr d2"
set d2 "campaign cmpgn_wt2; set nextcampaign vstr d1"

// server doesn't recognise the campaign command when the gamecode isn't running yet.
set d_initial "set g_gametype 4 ; map radar ; set nextcampaign vstr d2"
vstr d_initial

As for testing the download, I uploaded the new files to both my ftp re-direct and to the etmain folder, stopped and re-started the server so the changes would take effect, and proceeded to go on the server to test the rotation. Absolutely no downloads were recieved in regards to the new campaign files, and because we removed several maps from the etmain that were not included with the new campaigns, while adding others, yes, you'd think it would force the d/l. Instead, we'd have to force a map change everytime the old campaign files looked for a map that was no longer there. Renaming the new campaign files corrected that issue.

Now we're left with the server not wanting to load up the first campaign once the second has completed it's cycle.
The Birdman

Post by The Birdman »

Correct me if i'm wrong guys (some of you are at this a lot longer then me), but isn't there a limit to the amount of PK3's you can have uploaded to the server at any one time when running campaigns.

I had this problem before and found if i exceeded a certain amount (i think it was 15 pk3's and thats including the pak0,pak1,pak2 and mp_bin pk3's) that the last map in the rotation would keep repeating as if gone into stopwatch mode.

I now never have more then 15 PK3's on the server at any one time and all runs smooth.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

I had a similar problem (some people liked it) it got stuck on the last map and kept rotating it, however they were able to keep their xp (and statsaver would save it) there were people with 2000+xp (lots of people), it may have been the amount of pk3's but i'm not so sure
My Website
The Birdman

Post by The Birdman »

Same thing happened with me Gotenks, your xp would never reset. I suppose it's one way of having xp forever in ETPro :lol: :lol: :lol: .

But you only get to play the same map over and over, which can get very boring after a time.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

The limit must be a bit higher than 15 pk3 files because I've successfully had 2x6 map campaigns running with no errors or glitches what-so-ever.

How-ever, 2x8 map campaigns might be pushing it over the limit, as just the maps are 16pk3's and then, as stated, there are all the stock pk3's plus the campaign pk3's.

I will remove 2 maps from each campaign, and from reading another thread here, place the campaigncycle.cfg only in the etpro folder. Is it better to have the campaign.pk3's in the etmain or in the etpro? Or do they even work if put in the etpro folder?
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Roadie wrote:
dA*Rogue wrote:Maybe post this in the 'server admins' forum?
If it's in the wrong forum, please, admin, move it. I have no issue with moving it, as long as I can find it again. Lots of content here, and admin vs the mod I run are sometimes difficult to differentiate, meant no harm in posting it here.
I just thought you might get the attn of some server admins in that section that may have come across a similar problem :)

From what I know, pk3s should be in /etmain - unless they are ET Pro shaders etc, in which case they generally have ET Pro in the file name.

As for max pk3's, I heard it's (combined) ~ 255 characters in the filenames of the pk3's in the etmain AND etpro dirs. Haven't tested this though.
The Birdman

Post by The Birdman »

Roadie wrote
The limit must be a bit higher than 15 pk3 files because I've successfully had 2x6 map campaigns running with no errors or glitches what-so-ever.
Don't count the six basic maps, as these are in the pak0.pk3, it's only the other maps you count. So although you say you had a 2x6 run no bother you probably had original maps included in this, if so how many custom maps had you, personally i believe it kept you lower then 15 pk3's on the server.

I've never tried putting the campaign .pk3 in the etpro folder but i'm nearly sure it would work fine from there.

In your 2x8 campaing you use a total of 12 custom maps, so 12 custom pk3's, 1 campaign pk3, 3 pak pk3's and the mp_bin pk3 = 17 pk3's.

I try to keep with just uploading a total of 10 custom maps and there is also the use of the six originals, this means i have 16 maps to choose from and haven't had that repeating problem since sticking to this rule. If putting the campaign pk3 into the etpro folder works then that gives the opportunity for uploading another map.

Hope that explains the pk3 count i make a little better.
Server 212.187.208.13:27960

Visit our clan site
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

The Birdman wrote:Roadie wrote
Don't count the six basic maps, as these are in the pak0.pk3, it's only the other maps you count.
it's also pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3, mp_bin.pk3
My Website
The Birdman

Post by The Birdman »

Cheers gotenks i should have stressed more that these need to be counted as part of the 15, although i do count them in when showing Roadie his count for his 2x8 campaign.
In your 2x8 campaing you use a total of 12 custom maps, so 12 custom pk3's, 1 campaign pk3, 3 pak pk3's and the mp_bin pk3 = 17 pk3's.
Server 212.187.208.13:27960

Visit our clan site