limits on number of entities

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

mortis

limits on number of entities

Post by mortis »

I've heard lots of talk about the ephemeral entity limit in Wolfy. Are the entities in etpro maps scripts subject to the same limits? Do i need to exercise extreme caution when introducing new enities? What sort of crashes are caused by having excessive enities? Some people say that it varies from map to map, but does anyone have more specific limits as they apply to Wolfy/Radiant/etpro?

On my new et_beach beta mapscript I 'created' 18 new entities. I haven't had any stability problems on my servers, but it that something that would likely vary from server to server? Or is it more of a game engine limitation?

--Mortis
Last edited by mortis on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

The game is limited to 1024 runtime enttities. Of these, the first 64 are reserved for clients. This is an engine limit.

The command /entitylist in the server console will give you a count of current runtime entities. Note that there are many temporary entities that may be created while the game is running. As a general rule, a map should work fine if it doesn't use more than 700-800 entities when the server is empty.

http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?n ... ic&t=12159
Shows the number of entities on some typical ET maps.
send lawyers, guns and money
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

the type of crash u usaly get whne there are to many is g_spawn cant find free netity or something meaning that it tries to spawn a temp entity but there are no empty slots
bacon

Post by bacon »

Except it's legible :P