disallow wait command from being used in game?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Herf

disallow wait command from being used in game?

Post by Herf »

Is it possible to disallow the command wait to be used by a client in a script command while playing? This is being used by people with jump scripts in game. If so please make a cvar for it. Will be highly interesting to see who loses thier great jumping ability when/if its implemented and who doesn't : )

Thanks,

H3rf
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

lua could do it... however even simple scripts would fail... I use some waits and never use aim/jump scripts... if they're using jumping scripts and you want to screw them up... slow the server down a little... (300??? that should work), they'll run slower and thus their scripts won't/shouldn't work, yet people who know how still would beable to... remember there are things you can't do during wait processes (such as strafe or turn... don't exactly remember which)
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

gotenks wrote:lua could do it...
Nope, client wait commands are purely on the client.

It can be disabled on the client, but this would disable all uses, including some that are built into the game.
send lawyers, guns and money
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

catch the client command "wait"... what auto client command uses wait?
My Website
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

gotenks wrote:catch the client command "wait"... what auto client command uses wait?
it gets handld on the lcient and never reaches the server if i remeber correct :p
Nurple

Post by Nurple »

Weren't turning and jumping scripts defeated by locking cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed? Are +lookup etc. disabled?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Nurple wrote:Weren't turning and jumping scripts defeated by locking cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed? Are +lookup etc. disabled?
Scripts that use turning can be defeated by locking cl_yawspeed at 0. +lookup and +lookdown are disabled (to prevent anti-recoil and mortar scripts) but this doesn't affect jump scripts.

However, the script that motivated this doesn't require any of those things.
See: http://www.teamwarfare.com/forums/showt ... did=299832

FWIW, I have tested disabling wait, and it does work, but that also prevents a lot of scripts that are currently considered legitimate. It doesn't seem to break anything in the basic game, but I didn't test it extensively.

I'd be interested to see what scripts people here use that depend on wait.

Note that if wait were disabled, it would almost certainly be made a server option.

Finally, it would still probably be possible to script the jumps with other external key-macro programs.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

reyalP wrote:FWIW, I have tested disabling wait, and it does work, but that also prevents a lot of scripts that are currently considered legitimate. It doesn't seem to break anything in the basic game, but I didn't test it extensively.
using the method i suggested??? (if so ha ha told you so), were there any other errors?
My Website
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

gotenks wrote:using the method i suggested???
Noes!
Herf

Post by Herf »

reyalp,

I know very little, but external macro programs might not be able to accomplish some of these things, just a bit off an they likely wont work I strongly suspect.

Also, using external macroprogram is another step up towards clear cut cheating, also, man, its justs seems to me it would lag your game or something.

I do not know what legitimate scripts use wait, i mean there are some to take a screenshot after doing a status or something, but that is not really needed, one can easily see how that could be handle.

A cvar to get rid of wait would be very nice. It has the potential to clean up trash skilless abuses we dont even know about as well.
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Herf wrote:i mean there are some to take a screenshot after doing a status or something[..]
But that's a good point IMO, so maybe there is another way to make wait commands only useless for movement scripts. After all manual movement is already blocked during wait, so this was clearly the intention. Just freezing the player in place won't work unfortunately, because that could be abused as well. One option might be to block movement commands not just for the duration of the wait, but also for a few seconds after. Like the old pronedelay behaviour.

Another idea might be to allow wait commands only in steps of one second, so all the precide "wait 30", "wait 100", etc commands necessary for these kind of scripts wouldn't be possible.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

My personal favorite was just to make wait random +/- a few frames, dependant on the lengths specified by the wait. (so if you say wait 1, it waits 1 or 2 frames... if you say wait 100 it waits 90-110 frames) That would make all the movement scripts useless (or at least as variable as a human) while still allowing things that just need to wait a little bit.

Unfortunately, neither that nor the other suggestions offered for it seem possible without truely evil hackery.

@herf, you are probably right that it would be harder with external macro programs.
Decade

Post by Decade »

Can't you make it so that every "wait" is forced to become a "-forward; -moveright; ...; wait"?
By the way are scripted jumps forbidden by Clanbase?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

reyalp wrote:I'd be interested to see what scripts people here use that depend on wait.
weapon change scripts... auto x-pack(med pack and ammo pack) deployment
those are the two i used... i know a few people have ones that change to nade, prime nade, throw nade then /kill... this is less legit, but still isn't what you're targeting
My Website