etpro for rtcw!

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Well, we could have ETPro be a trunk, and every mod gets to be a branch of the code. \o\
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

reyalp wrote:
Ragnar_40k wrote:Imho adding rtcw stuff and new gametypes should be left to other mods like etpub to keep ETPro "clean" for competition gaming.
The changes required to make etpro quite RTCW-ish wouldn't really bloat that much, and should have no significant impact on runtime performance. To me, the advantage of being able to use all the existing etpro features and bug fixes would far outweigh the inconvenience of starting a new codebase. One could fork the etpro codebase (or keep one codebase and use a shitload of #ifdefs), but IMO, the hassles would far outweigh the benefits.

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion :moo:
:rock:
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

I think RTCW still has a very different "feeling" to it than ET, everything feels a little darker, heavier and more war-like (like the massive shaking caused by all the spam on base...).

As far as gameplay is concerned, I can't even tell why someone would want to tweak ETPro like RTCW, since it would basically involve adding a lot of spam and a cowardish sniper rifle. ;) Granted ET has landmines, mortar and mobile MG, but those are easily disabled.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

if it was done right..i think it could be popular
fretn

Post by fretn »

Spark2 wrote:since it would basically involve adding a lot of spam
:shock:
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
onelegend

Post by onelegend »

most of the changes have already been done in a mod for et

rtcwmod- renamed to lamapro

converts skins, adds thertcw weapons etc.

hesadded quite alot of etpro features aswell- never been advertised to get popular plus it had a nasty random server crash bug which has recently been fixed.

http://home.comcast.net/~dbpryor/lamapro.html <-- old version but lists most of the big changes.

http://lamapro.spoonix.org/ <--- his current homepage/forums with latest release download.

Only 1 guy working on the mod so not bad work imo :)
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

Covertops now have the no shoot sign over their heads rather then when you aim at them
GOOD IDEA!
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

I think Radea posted that because his team is playing RtCW again. Changing ET won't help RtCW.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

ouroboro wrote:I think Radea posted that because his team is playing RtCW again. Changing ET won't help RtCW.
let the "old" be as it is... and make a RTCW version to ET ?..whast the deal?

i would love to play the RTCW-ET thats for sure..

and why are u talking about coverts?..theyre not in RTCW (one of the reasons thast RTCW is not ET and vice verca) duh
SeEk

Post by SeEk »

Really good idea..lets make it a reality
Deus

Post by Deus »

Hurrah for reviving old threads
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

RTCW with etpro antilag, etpro guids, and realhead FTW!
but then again RTCW is more dead than alive :cry:
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

The Necromancer wrote:RTCW with etpro antilag, etpro guids, and realhead FTW!
but then again RTCW is more dead than alive :cry:
RtCW would not survive those changes because part of what makes the game playable is it's flaws.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

ouroboro wrote: RtCW would not survive those changes because part of what makes the game playable is it's flaws.
thats a load of narrowminded bullshit imo..

and infact it has nothing to with RTCW(origin) will survive or not.. its about a MOD, that would let people play the RTCW gameplay for free.. and thats the main point..the second point is simply to get a ET:RTCW that WILL never die..(because its free).. =)

so.. how can you even sit and counter argument for a MOD ?.. were not touching your precious little rtcw..
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

squadjot wrote:
ouroboro wrote: RtCW would not survive those changes because part of what makes the game playable is it's flaws.
thats a load of narrowminded bullshit imo..

and infact it has nothing to with RTCW(origin) will survive or not.. its about a MOD, that would let people play the RTCW gameplay for free.. and thats the main point..the second point is simply to get a ET:RTCW that WILL never die..(because its free).. =)

so.. how can you even sit and counter argument for a MOD ?.. were not touching your precious little rtcw..
Relax. I don't care what happens to RTCW because I don't play it (sv_screenshake sucks ass).

The lack of antilag and realhead are part of what make the higher ROF tolerable. Why do you think b_wolfrof didn't catch on? Sure it's a pretty drastic gameplay change for the majority to embrace, but you'd think there would be a little niche of RTCW fans running a few "RTCWPro" servers, right? It's for the same reason Demoman (creator of RTCWMod) said this regarding his own mod:
example.cfg wrote:rtcw smg attributes - not recommended for servers who run anti-lag (kills happen too quick)
And this regarding ETPro:
Demoman wrote:the sniper rifle isnt powerful enough in et to counter shots from a mp40 from accross the map with rtcw ROF

with a working anti-lag you are dead in less than a second.

its just a bad idea all around to increase the ROF and cut off distance falloff
I happen to agree with him. If you introduce all the whiz-bang improvements of ETPro into the RTCW universe, you get a game that's no longer fun. The two games are very similar, but they are different enough that careful consideration is required before you start Frankensteining them. This is why many people feel that ported RTCW maps suck in ET - because the "ET Stuff" is not compatible with those maps, which were designed with RTCW in mind, including all its shortcomings.

I'm all for a "free RTCW," but you can already have that with RTCWMod, which fulfills that goal much better than any current ETPro implementation could. You can also get a nearly free copy directly from the id Software store...

So no, I'm not being narrow-minded. In fact I've probably given the topic more honest consideration than you have.