Madscientist gone mad

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

squadjot wrote:mhz/fps bug
:boggle:

madscientist I hope you realize that every time you change one thing, you have to consider how it affects everything else. Oh wait of course you don't - this is all about how much you hate having your vision jiggled. Believe me, I appreciate how you feel - I hated sv_screenshake so much in RTCW that I quit playing it. You might want to explore that option regarding ET...

Just remember, if your crusade succeeds you will have a huge responsibility on your hands to balance everything that got thrown out of whack by your changes. Go down that road far enough, and eventually you've got a new game...
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

madscientist wrote:I'll hate to impose, but I don't believe that one person has the right to choose what's best for everyone.
Unless that person is you :P

Seriously, the response to your mod doesn't seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Some people like it, some people don't. There are many, many possible gameplay changes that fall into this category. At some point, we have to pick and choose.

My personal opinion is that taking out spread is a drastic change in gameplay, which will require a other things to be re-balanced, while producing questionable benefits. If it were implemented, it would almost certainly just result in the further fragmentation of the game. It seems extremely unlikely that it would result in a sudden influx of players or greatly prolong the life of competitive ET. It also seems extremely unlikely that there would be a strong consensus to switch over.
send lawyers, guns and money
Nail

Post by Nail »

imo, tracers are enough to see where shots come from
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

Nail wrote:imo, tracers are enough to see where shots come from
Dod you play without knockback and screenshakes?
wipeout

Post by wipeout »

zinx wrote:The plethora of aimbot users have shown that making it more about aiming *WILL*, in fact, make it less about teamplay/tactics.
It's not about making the game more about aiming. It's about making the skill gap between the best and the good players more evident by killing random factors.

If you wanted to emphasis the teamwork/tactics side of ET I could present you changes that I think would make the game more interesting. But I doubt such changes would ever make it into etpro. I would even go as far as to say it's more likely you will find such changes in etpub, because some do already exist there.
deej

Post by deej »

wipeout wrote:I could present you changes that I think would make the game more interesting.
Well post them! Otherwise they'll never even get considered by the ETPro team.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Spread may be randomized in the literal sense, but it's hardly random in practice. Everyone knows about it, they know what causes it and they know what actions can be taken to minimize it. The only substantial inconsistencies are framerate and mouserate, but the former is no longer a serious problem for most competitive players and the latter is nearly universal at this point.

I'm all in favor of zero spread in a "serious" game. I've espoused the virtues of this many times. All one has to do is play DoD:S to see how an artificial "accuracy cap" can make a game seem completely unsuited for serious play. But removing spread in any existing game would require niggling in many other areas to balance it out. It's would be rediculous to make such a change to ET, especially at this point.

And I haven't even touched on the other proposals. These are things to be discussed for a new game, not for ET. Or at least not for widespread competitive ET. Perhaps they could be tested on an "alternate mode" ladder somewhere.
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

ouroboro wrote:Perhaps they could be tested on an "alternate mode" ladder somewhere.
They _should_ be tested on an "alternate mode" ladder first. Maybe even make a small 1-2 day cup with invites for high skilled clans. Weapons are more balanced now when the damages are changed but it still needs serious testing. Thats why we need cvars to be made first...
Nail

Post by Nail »

ogrec wrote:
Nail wrote:imo, tracers are enough to see where shots come from
Dod you play without knockback and screenshakes?

yes, I do
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Etnies`

Post by Etnies` »

I played on that server the other day, and I liked it, apart from the whole not knowing where your getting shot from, it was good, more headshots and made it abit faster imo. I much prefer to hit what I am aim at rather than missing when i know that it should of hit
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Etnies` wrote: it was good, more headshots
here we have it.. this is what ive meant every time ive talked about people argumenting for stuff to put in ET.. do NOT listen to the masses..

what's best for themselves?..they do not know!. ( the only thing they know ..is that they want more headshots )

Remove hitsounds.. and lets play the game...RTCW/OSP style kthnx =)
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

Spread creates an extra skill that is beyond just aiming called "spread control". It combines your movement, shooting style and awareness with your shooting ability and I feel is therefore more skillful than a game that is purely about mouse accuracy - at any rate it certainly has more depth.
Xeon_vl

Post by Xeon_vl »

well i noticed that collumn a while ago but the reactions of the community are not really happy
Pumu clearly says: it sucks.
flyingdj doesn't agree with his theory etc
Darius

Post by Darius »

If anyone knows how to set up a server so that screenshakes are disabled, please let me know. Its really hard to advocate for it to be used in a competition without even knowing which setting we'd need to change. There is definitely interest.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Darius wrote:If anyone knows how to set up a server so that screenshakes are disabled, please let me know. Its really hard to advocate for it to be used in a competition without even knowing which setting we'd need to change. There is definitely interest.
Talk to madscientist, AFAIK he did it with lua.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.