etpro vs jaymode and lags

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

micin

etpro vs jaymode and lags

Post by micin »

hi,
i have a little problem with etpro. Anytime i play on an etpro server, I have lags.
Strange thing is that when i play on a jaymod server, I havent any lags.
i tryed:
- completely reinstall et
- completely reinstall pb
- install new graphic card drivers
- reinstall OS

i think that my lags are evoked by losing packets. I hadnt any problems with lags half year before. I havent done any changes in my home net since. My provider affirms that problem isnt on his side.

my configuration:
amd athlon 3200+
1gb ram
gf 7600gt
net: catv 3000/300, public ip

any idea where is the problem? thx for all responses
ReyalP

Re: etpro vs jaymode and lags

Post by ReyalP »

micin wrote: i think that my lags are evoked by losing packets. I hadnt any problems with lags half year before. I havent done any changes in my home net since. My provider affirms that problem isnt on his side.
There is absolutely no reason that ETpro would lose packets while other mods didn't.

ETPro might feel worse if you do have packetloss, because of antiwarp. If you post a picture of what your lagometer looks like while you are lagging, that might help us see what is going on.
send lawyers, guns and money
deej

Post by deej »

or the ETPro server is on a worse connection than the Jaymod server...
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
micin

Post by micin »

here is the picture of lag: Image
deej

Post by deej »

That's antiwarp. When it starts, stand still for a moment and it's gone.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

You can remove some of these spikes by shutting down other programs, like IM clients. Turning off autoupdate for antivirus and windows (or at least specify a time of day where you are not playing ET).

Some server browsers, like All-seing Eye, also use your internet connection.

Some spikes are caused by punkbuster screenshots, so join the angry mod of people whining at pb :(
micin

Post by micin »

deej wrote:That's antiwarp. When it starts, stand still for a moment and it's gone.
u are right. if i stand still then the lag is gone. but how can i play cw with this? i cannot stand still the whole war :)
micin

Post by micin »

Lagger wrote:You can remove some of these spikes by shutting down other programs, like IM clients. Turning off autoupdate for antivirus and windows (or at least specify a time of day where you are not playing ET).
i shuted down all no needed programs, but the count of spikes are still the same :(
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

If you are getting hit by antiwarp a lot, it means the quality of your connection is bad. It isn't specific to etpro, you just don't notice it as much on other servers, because they let you warp (and so allow your bad connection to cause problems for other people on the server, rather than just you).

You need to find out what is wrong with your connection.
send lawyers, guns and money
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

That's exactly what my lagometer looks like when I get screenshotted by PB. Ping jumps to ~300 and I get that "feather" pattern on the lagometer, which gradually slopes down to normal as my ping settles.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

ouroboro wrote:That's exactly what my lagometer looks like when I get screenshotted by PB. Ping jumps to ~300 and I get that "feather" pattern on the lagometer, which gradually slopes down to normal as my ping settles.
Like the others said: just don't move for a split second and this is gone.
The Emperor watch over you.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Ragnar_40k wrote:
ouroboro wrote:That's exactly what my lagometer looks like when I get screenshotted by PB. Ping jumps to ~300 and I get that "feather" pattern on the lagometer, which gradually slopes down to normal as my ping settles.
For a PBSS?
bacon

Post by bacon »

ouroboro wrote:
Ragnar_40k wrote:
For a PBSS?
Yes.
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

I'm sure he knows how to do it, the point is that ppl with good connections shouldn't have to do it.

Have you reported it to Evenbalance ouroboro? (They close issues when they think they've fixed them, so you may need to do it again if you reported it before the latest update).
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Spoofeh wrote:Have you reported it to Evenbalance ouroboro?
Yes. They never responded, presumably because it's the normal behavior of the "new" screenshot code. It happens to everyone, in fact I didn't even realize it was happening because I'd stopped using the lagometer long before that update, but eveyone was bitching so I turned it back on and saw that they were right. I always know when I've been screenshotted because I see that pattern on my lagometer, then I press +scores and see my ping is nearly 300 for a few seconds (normally <50). I'm 99% certain that standing still won't stop it. I only brought it up because the lagometer pattern is the same; I wasn't looking for a remedy because there is none, AFAIK.