Concerning graphics translucence in ET

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Smoke

Concerning graphics translucence in ET

Post by Smoke »

There are some graphics in ET which are partly transparent, and I was wondering if that takes on the framerate in any way whatsoever -- if so they are completely unnecessary.

Some of the translucent effects I've noticed is thet fading chat text, and when the scores fade out when you let go of the TAB button.

Fading of action pop-ups is possible (b_popupfadetime 0).

I just want to know if these effects use any resources which could be saved, and if so perhaps they can be disabeled.
b_pwnage 1
arni

Post by arni »

unless your grfx card is like 7 years old it wont care much about it imo

et's grfx is so simple i can play it with 1280x960 px and 8x anti aliasing (that actually makes it 10 megapixels) and the card doesnt even turn on the fan ...

et is limited by the cpu on most systems.

P.S.: You might ask why you wanna play with 10mpix. Well, why not if the grfx card is bored and it doesnt notably cost fps.
fretn

Post by fretn »

1280*960 = 1228800 pixels
1228800 / 1024 = 1200 Kilopixels
1200 / 1024 = 1.171875 Megapixels

or am I missing something ?
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
arni

Post by arni »

fretn wrote:1280*960 = 1228800 pixels
1228800 / 1024 = 1200 Kilopixels
1200 / 1024 = 1.171875 Megapixels

or am I missing something ?
yes because with 8x anti aliasing its 8 times as many pixels (every pixel gets the average colour of 8 virtual pixels)
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

um... unless i'm very mistaken and the laws of computer physics have been altered... no it doesn't...
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/a/antialiasing.html
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
zinx

Post by zinx »

"FSAA" is implemented via "multisampling", which samples more than one pixel per output pixel, and averages the results.

8x multisampling means you're sampling (read: rendering) 8 times as many pixels.

But I believe there are some speedups on video cards which only do that to the edges of polys.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
arni

Post by arni »

i dont think you can speed the process up too much (maybe in et because grfx is really simple) but not in more complex games.

As soon as it comes to bump mapping, multitexturing or multilayered transparency you'll have edges of polygons or overlapping textures all over the place.

Maybe you know the flickering effect if you use multitexturing or soft bump mapping and move the viewing position slowly without anti aliasing.
If not, i'll probably not be able to explain it properly ether ;-)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

You guys are right about that CPU sets the limit in most cases with ET. But still .. if u just for fun test your FPS with cg_draw2d 1/0 you will see a noticeable* difference (*all relative depending on your hardware).

I once suggested that all hud icons and hud stuff could be placed in a black area (or whatever).. so.. that all voicechats and icons had a non-trasparent background. (as an option ofc, althud maybe).

So i think i know what you mean Smoke.. and i kinda agree, you WOULD be able to shape off stuff and gain a little FPS..

again, if ure struggling at 30-50 fps.. this might could give u a pretty large gain (percentage wise).. ..but today most people can run 125 fps without much trouble.

guess: if u get 50 fps with all the hud on.. u'll probably get 5-10 fps extra from HUD optimizing. And maybe ETPRO dont think its worth the struggle creating the code so u have this feature, im not the one to say.....
arni

Post by arni »

its really really poor people that still have to play with machines where you have to fight for every frame.

i guess for just 150€/$ you could buy computer parts today that can run 125fps (mainboard, cpu, grfx)

thats why i personally dont see the need to optimise anything like that
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

remember, there are some that have families and can't afford stuff like that (i can only do some stuff w/ income tax returns)
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ReyalP

Re: Concerning graphics translucence in ET

Post by ReyalP »

Smoke wrote:There are some graphics in ET which are partly transparent, and I was wondering if that takes on the framerate in any way whatsoever -- if so they are completely unnecessary.

Some of the translucent effects I've noticed is thet fading chat text, and when the scores fade out when you let go of the TAB button.

Fading of action pop-ups is possible (b_popupfadetime 0).

I just want to know if these effects use any resources which could be saved, and if so perhaps they can be disabeled.
As squadjot says, you would have to make all those things entirely non-transparent to be worthwhile. The text fading out isn't really different from the transparent background of the letters.

If ETPro were to do something about this, it should just be a part of the customizable hud system, rather than yet another hard coded option for althud.
send lawyers, guns and money
pVjeko

Post by pVjeko »

gotenks wrote:remember, there are some that have families and can't afford stuff like that (i can only do some stuff w/ income tax returns)
What families? I just sold mine and got me a brand new GF 7900 GT!!! Runs ET like hell!!! :twisted:
: ObunjivacStoke was here :

Lagger

Post by Lagger »

pVjeko wrote:What families? I just sold mine and got me a brand new GF 7900 GT!!! Runs ET like hell!!! :twisted:
Nice timing! the GF 8800GT is out today :P
pVjeko

Post by pVjeko »

Lagger wrote:Nice timing! the GF 8800GT is out today :P
Actually, I had 7900 GT for some time (july 2006), but only now I have money to pay a debt for it. It will do nice. :)
: ObunjivacStoke was here :

Xeon_vl

Post by Xeon_vl »

Well i am the owner of a geforce 5200 and a radeon 300. Aiming becomes very difficult, because on the 5200 , it loves dropping the fps , then raising it again, and so on. Its very hard to aim for head then. (not speaking about radar yet :D)
The radeon does better, but the screen does blur a lot during fights. and it is actually never able to keep a stable fps while walking through a map.

I am looking forward to buy a geforce 7600. Not to expensive, but ok performances (= better then what i have now)