Vsync

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Hypnotoad

Vsync

Post by Hypnotoad »

Using fixedphysics, is there any reason not to use vsync/swapinterval if you experience tearing?

It used to be you wanted higher fps or the good/magic numbers with the Q3 engine to achieve the most fluid movement. Is this still useful?

I'm now on an lcd monitor running at 60hz. Should I cap com_maxfps to 60? Should I leave displayrefresh at 0?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Try it ?

If you want vsync, set r_swapinterval 1 and com_maxfps 0 or some number larger than your refresh rate.

Many people feel it makes their input laggy or something like that.
send lawyers, guns and money
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

I've tried it for a while but I couldn't quite decide.

For me, it takes a few quite intense days of playing before I have evaluated something like this at all. So some hard data before I start shortens that process quite a lot.

It did remove the tearing entirely. I guess I'll leave com_maxfps at 125 and see how it goes.
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

swapinterval made the sand on oasis flicker non-stop, quite annoying.

Any way around this?
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

The main problem with swapinterval is that fps is halved when frames take longer than 1/displayrefresh seconds to render.

Another way to remove tearing is to use a very high displayrefresh (120/140) but that doesn't work on lcds.
ouroboro

Re: Vsync

Post by ouroboro »

Vsync, by it's very nature, does indeed cause input delay. This delay will be less at higher framerates.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.