New kind of aimbot?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

CY-senator

New kind of aimbot?

Post by CY-senator »

I recently run across this 'strange' aimbot, it wasn't easily identifiable from spectating the player, only by seeing the results. Usually an aimbot is pretty easy to identify because the screen jumps from player to player to place the aim directly on the players head, yet this aimbot seemed to be able to get headshots even without centering the screen on a player.
Is there a way to directly manipulate the upstream data, so that player model seems to face one way while the data used to calculate where shots impact is manipulated to point directly at a players head?

I've uploaded a demo from this specific aimbot, the best scene to demonstrate what I mean is directly at the beginning after leaving through the team door at Fuel Dump he kills an allied Medic with 3 Headshots, while his crosshair is pointing somewhere completely off his head!

Is there anything Bani can do to improve the cheater detection of ETPro to detect this kind of aimbot? Or should I direct this to Punkbuster? Or am I completely wrong and this guy is just so pro that he easily dominates everybody with 72% ACC from his MP40? :roll:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/berger50/aimbot.zip
Etnies`

Post by Etnies` »

It was probally a humanised aimbot so it wont hit the same place everytime or dead centre either the hitboxes are big in ET and some of yourshots probally hit like that to, just weird to see it on a bot. Also this topic will probs be deleted.
ReyalP

Re: New kind of aimbot?

Post by ReyalP »

CY-senator wrote: Is there a way to directly manipulate the upstream data, so that player model seems to face one way while the data used to calculate where shots impact is manipulated to point directly at a players head?
No. There is only one direction that is sent.
I've uploaded a demo from this specific aimbot, the best scene to demonstrate what I mean is directly at the beginning after leaving through the team door at Fuel Dump he kills an allied Medic with 3 Headshots, while his crosshair is pointing somewhere completely off his head!
demos don't show you exactly what the players involved saw. Antilag increases this effect.

"Humanized" aimbots are old news.
send lawyers, guns and money
CY-senator

Post by CY-senator »

ReyalP wrote: demos don't show you exactly what the players involved saw. Antilag increases this effect.

"Humanized" aimbots are old news.
Hm, didn't know that it's old news, so far I've come across very few aimbots, only recently they seem to appear on ETPro +PB servers, and than they are usually easy to identify by their 'botty' behavior. Jumping from player to player, beeing glued to a players head, and all that easy to see even on recorded demos, that's why I thought I saw something new because this aimbot realy behaved like an average player (crosshair not jumping to a player but instead the expected 'normal' shakey movement), yet all his shots were headshots.

I know that antilag can distort the gameplay a bit (the 'died even thou I made it around the corner' effect), I know that a spectator sometimes has a different view than the actual player (MG-42 perspective most notably), yet this still seemed to be different.

If it wasn't than sorry for wasting your time reading this :)
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

As I said before, there is only one set of angles. The direction you look is the direction you shoot. So to get a headshot, you MUST be looking directly at the head box at the correct moment.

If you spectate someone using antilag (or watch a demo of them), they will appear to shoot behind their target in proportion to their ping. I'm sure there are other inconsistencies, but this is a big one.
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

If that person recorded the demo (of themself rather than a demo of somone specing someone) would it be correct ReyalP?
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

There was plenty of "easily identifiable" snapping between heads around 1:56 on the clock.

I thought "humanized" bots were supposed to be harder to spot; this just looks like a regular bot with snapping limited to smaller angles (plus a player that isn't completely clueless).
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

ReyalP wrote:If you spectate someone using antilag (or watch a demo of them), they will appear to shoot behind their target in proportion to their ping.
´

can this be "fixed"? .. would it be possible to add pseudo antilag to get a demo to project more correctly.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Dersaidin wrote:If that person recorded the demo (of themself rather than a demo of somone specing someone) would it be correct ReyalP?
No.

Squadjot:
Perhaps.
Tron

Post by Tron »

ReyalP wrote: Squadjot:
Perhaps.
"Perhaps" is more than I would have expected. ;) You know, it would be great to have such a feature, because it would make demos more valuable (I'm thinking of frag movies, spotting hacks, the whole controversial hitability field...). I'll cross my fingers for one of the next releases. :D
brugal

Post by brugal »

A quick and dirty solution is to just use old snapshot positions for the other players in CG_InterpolateEntityPosition. Q3/rtcw/et seem off about a server frame anyway, so it looks much nicer.
DG

Post by DG »

cant dl the file, but mebbie cg_crosshairX/Y?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

DG wrote:cant dl the file, but mebbie cg_crosshairX/Y?
O_o
Those only affect the position of your crosshair on your screen. The only way they would make a demo look wrong is if the person playing the demo was using them.

brugal:
that could compensate a bit for the built in latencies, but wouldn't do anything for the effects of antilag.