tank wars

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

SmokenStien

Post by SmokenStien »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
SmokenStien wrote:
I think what your not understanding here is that the Q3 engine does not support the use of vehicle use.
What you are not understanding is that the support for vehicles is not something that would go in engine. It would be in the gamecode. You would have to change a lot of game code, but there is absolutely NO reason that you couldn't do a full driving sim with the quake3 engine. In fact, the quakerally mod I linked to as proof of that :P

It wouldn't be as good as a purpose built driving sim, but it could certainly be done. OTOH, if you want to make a tank mod, I'd suggest starting with bf1942 or tribes2/torque. Both of those would be much better suited to the concept, and already have vehicles in their gamecode.
Well I've got the source code so give me some time and Ill see what I can do with it. Porting it to ET may be a problem, but hey who knows! :lol:
If YA SEE'em, SMOKE'em!!
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

I assume that the two non-working pictures are the map shown in GTK Radiant, correct? Trust me, I know all about that. And as it has been said already, it's possible, it just takes time to mod it. Oh, SS, I hope you know your way around the code and that you have a large pot of coffee near by. :lol: Trust me, I make maps, and that's nothing compared to coding, though I assume you know all about it.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
Boco

Post by Boco »

Coding is quite hard if you are not familiar with the code. But, I could see how the tank war thing could work. Detect if the player is in the tank and if the server recieves movement messages, move the player AND the tank. Server recieves fire event, shoots a mortar blast from the tank. It could work.
<[av]bani> anything which causes boco pain or suffering is \o/
<[av]bani> guns are cool. just saying the word 'gun' gives me a raging hardon.
<[av]bani> DO NOT MOCK HAPPY FUN BANI
<[av]bani> do not run over happy fun bani

* [NW]reyalP thinks he should write a book... "IP Law for fucking morons"
<KingJackaL> haha
<KingJackaL> I'd buy it : D
<WeblionX> I'd scan every page and put it up as a torrent!
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i make maps aswell and indead it cost a dahm time i aslo dl the sourge code of rtcw but that was even worse lol

but atleast im glad it is posable
-[x]- badman

Post by -[x]- badman »

well if u ever played battlefield. something like there tank controls would be sufficent.

if u can figure out how to set everything up properly :D
are u ready to die!
^1 Kyle Katarn

Post by ^1 Kyle Katarn »

Server recieves fire event, shoots a mortar blast from the tank
Wouldn't this require a change in the coding for the mortar. The arc for this shot would be almost horizontal.
You ask me to show you God. I'll show you the written word.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

^1 Kyle Katarn wrote:
Server recieves fire event, shoots a mortar blast from the tank
Wouldn't this require a change in the coding for the mortar. The arc for this shot would be almost horizontal.
maybe but i think chancing a weapon wouldn't be to hard i think the tank code is more diffycult