ET Pro Ripens Medic-Cheese; Leaves Bad Taste

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ward

ET Pro Ripens Medic-Cheese; Leaves Bad Taste

Post by ward »

Medics have become too powerful in ET Pro. They have insane hp, they regenerate health, they can heal themselves and others, they can revive wounded teammates, and adrenaline turns them into absolute beasts. In groups, medics can be quite annoying, continually reviving eachother as soon as one dies. Luckily, in vanilla ET, a smart-minded player can kill a wounded enemy mid-combat if he knows what he is doing, thus denying revival.

The problem arises in ET Pro, where the wounded have 125 hp as oppossed to 75. While killing wounded enemies during a fight is still possible, it is very infeasible. The wounded players are so hearty, that anybody who tries to kill one during battle will almost invariably get himself killed. And, if the wounded player is not slain (which is no rare occurrence), all damage done to him before revival is in vain.

Medics, a support class, can now dominate the battle field, and there is little one can do to stop them. Sure, groups of medics continuously reviving eachother is technically teamwork, but so are other cheese-strategies, such as several field ops keeping an area under constant airstrike spam.

If medics can so easily revive eachother during a battle, the other team should likewise be given a reasonable chance at killing those same wounded players during battle. Returning the hp of the wounded to 75 would accomplish this.

An alternate solution would be to leave their hp at 125, but alter the way in which they are revived, so that if they take damage, they are revived with less health. For example, if a wounded man takes some damage, is left with 90 hp, and is then given a "full" revive, he would have 90 hp, as opposed to full health. And in the same scenario, if the player is given a regular "half" revive, he would then have 45 hp. This would make damaging wounded enemies useful, even if they are not killed, and would make the game more realistic (though that is not of chief importance).

Whatever the solution, medic-cheese must be dealt with, for it is a foul and stinking limburger.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if we go back to 75hp for gib, then the medic class becomes utterly useless as there is nobody to revive -- players can be gibbed before they even hit the ground, with an smg.

fwiw RTCW's gib was 175...!

so I chose 125 as halfway...

medics are difficult to kill in RTCW as well...

the official patch from SD will also change the gib health to be higher. i suspect it will be around 125 as well, which is why I chose that value.
Indifference

Post by Indifference »

Is there a way to restrict the number of revives that a medic can give? Lowering the number to 4 or 5 would maintain the medics purpose as a support class without allowing it to be abused. It may already have a cvar, in which case you'd have to post to the server's forum, contact the admin... or some such.
I appreciate Medics... They make nice targets in my scope.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

they already have a limited # of needles... every revive uses 1 up.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

but ammo can refill it cant it ?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

no. medic needles dont refill.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

hmm oh i always thought they could but i think its better this way lol :wink:
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

There's nothing wrong with medics how they are.. of course you get rambo medics on pubs using their 1337 skills to take you out and health up..

And it's just the way ET is designed that it makes rambo medics much more prevalent than in RtCW.. In RtCW the medics had to work with Lt's much more to get ammo.. But in ET you start with more ammo and have ammo cabinets, so you need Lt's/field ops even less and can rambo all you like.

Not to mention the ability to drop 10 healthpacks at your feet, wait 5 seconds and drop another 5. It's just the way the game was designed.. badly imo, but that's the way it is.

In clan matches medics will of course be powerful, but you'll have them on both sides, plus you'll have crossfire to gib the bodies before they can get revived.

At least with the higher gib damage required, medics can actually make revived. With the old setting, 3 bullets was far too easy and you didn't even need to make a conscious decision to gib, it was just too easy to shoot 3 extra bullets and send them into limboland.
O2.iceman
Oxygen
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

Agree with Bani and Iceman. The "rambo-ness" of Medics comes from ET, not the 125 hp to gib that Bani added. If you use ETPro to limit or lock XP, this is less of an issue. The "3 shots to gib" in vanilla ET makes Medics pretty useless. Bani has made it worthwhile playing Medic again!

I'm currently playing on an ETpro server in the UK which has XP locked so that Medics can't max out and get full revive and limitless Med packs. That, together with 125 hp to gib, makes them useful, but not to the point where they're over-powered.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Since it etpro is supposed to be a competition mod, it would make sense to wait for some matches to be played before deciding that the medic is now overpowered.
send lawyers, guns and money