Discussion for Bani's Pub mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

bani wrote:look, anyone /kill'ing themselves is doing you a favor:

1) they can't be revived.
2) they're out of the game for the rest of the respawn
3) you still get battle sense XP

if anyone wants to /kill themselves while i'm going for an objective, be my guest. you've just made winning the game that much easier.

after all, I thought the goal of the game was to destroy the objective, not obsess about having the highest XP...
I know bani, it's just that anyone /killing at the moment you would kill him, is NOT doing you a favor.

1) It's annoying. If this would happen half an hour at an end, shooting people and they /killing themselves, I would uninstall this great game. Because it would be TOO gay. Luckily, we're not yet at that stage (mind the yet).

2) You don't get your upgrade in weapon and soldier skills, your enemy who is the /killer does. This means, in the end you will be fighting with your pistol because you're out of ammo, against an enemy that has a smg with extra clip, fast reload, reduced bullet spread and akimbo's for backup.

3)Maybe your battle sense will be better then his, maybe not. It will not if the enemy is such a skilled /killer he will only /kill when getting really killed. And you can never get 8XP for battle sense because you can never kill anyone.

I exagerated this a bit (OK a lot :roll: ), but the difference doesn't have to be this big to be deciding in a match. So plz think about this, and consider it for a next Etpro, as long as noone can come up with a real disadvantage to setting a /killing allowed timezone for the last 5 secs or so.
Last edited by SickBoy on Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

there are actually so few people who actually use it to deprive xp, currently do you get to l4 of light weapons? well that is the only thing that is entirely based on kills. I allways /kill as close to 1 sec as i can, at 5 i usually have a mortar left. Also what if you hear "Dynamite is planted at gun controls" at 5 secs left... in essance you gave the engineer an extra five second of dyno protection if someone has to switch to engineer... and yes there are counters that show enemy spawn times
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

gotenks wrote:there are actually so few people who actually use it to deprive xp, currently do you get to l4 of light weapons? well that is the only thing that is entirely based on kills. I allways /kill as close to 1 sec as i can, at 5 i usually have a mortar left. Also what if you hear "Dynamite is planted at gun controls" at 5 secs left... in essance you gave the engineer an extra five second of dyno protection if someone has to switch to engineer... and yes there are counters that show enemy spawn times
True, getting to level 4 in a war isn't easy, but remember etpro is also used on pubs.

I have no idea what you mean about the dyno thing. If an enemy plants a dynamite, you can still /kill yourself right before spawntime. You can't 15 secs before your spawntime, but why would you want to do that? You should use them 10 secs to help your team, kill enemies or whatever, then /kill yourself right before your spawntime to change to engi. You're not loosing any time this way.

About the mortar example: suppose you run out of ammo a couple of secs after spawntime.

current situation:
a) you should have /killed yourself with one bullet left before previous spawn
b) you can shoot around with your pistol or throw nades or find a field op for ammo, and /kill yourself before next spawntime to replenish your ammo
c) you can /kill yourself and do nothing for the remainder of the time until next spawn

with the 5sec killing allowed zone:
a) you should have /killed yourself with one bullet left before previous spawn
b) you can shoot around with your pistol or throw nades or find a field op for ammo, and /kill yourself before next spawntime to replenish your ammo
c) no more c. Is this so bad? I don't think so. And if you really would want to die for some reason (to watch a teammate in cameramode, to roll a cigaret or whatever), you would have to kill yourself with a nade or a barbwire or soemthing else.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

True, getting to level 4 in a war isn't easy, but remember etpro is also used on pubs.
my point exactly... on pubs i (and most people i know) get to L4 light weapons in 2-3 rounds... so this feature is not needed... it's not really gonna help you get to l4 faster
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

bani wrote:
SickBoy wrote:You could still /kill to change classes (or whatever normal reason you would /kill yourself for), just not 15 seconds before your spawntime.
so they just eat a grenade. :roll: :roll: :roll:
i wonder how a granade would taste :grenade: :roll:
hiro

Post by hiro »

hiro wrote:I'd rather see the player who /kills lose 5xp off their light weapons or battlesense (or both).
that'll deter the SKs and make people think twice before /killing for frivilous reasons.

on public servers I /kill pretty much only to change class. If someone /kils to deny me xp I laugh and see if I can make them do it again. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but then I'm from wolf and have a disdain toward xp and those obsessed by it. :p

In matches I /kill to change class, to fall back to the next phase of offence or defence, or to catch a respawn at a forward flag/command post.

With the painful delay of the announcer voice in that posession of the flag can change serveral times before the announcer is finished*, /kill is something that needs to be carefully considerd and any delay would, imo, do more harm than good.

As I said if you want a penalty for /killing, make it a penalty for the player alone, don't penalise the rest of his team because he couldnt change to the class they needed in time.

*b_popuptime 0 is a big step to helping this but the audio prompt is still very usefull when you have more important thngs to do than watch for a line of text.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

there is already a penalty for /kill, its called 'losing your chargebar'.