Attrition in enemy spawn zone?

Discussion for Bani's Pub mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

jsumners

Attrition in enemy spawn zone?

Post by jsumners »

The largest problem I have run across is people constantly running in the enemy's spawn zone just to kill them as they spawn and thus offsetting the balance of the game. I figure that a zone of attrition would deter this behavior. Maybe a 30ft radius, or more, around the spawn zones that would inflict a constant rate of damage on enemy players.

Thoughts?
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

Immediate thought:- BayonET. What's this got to do with Clan wars?
jsumners

Post by jsumners »

Ermmmm, there doesn't seem to be a release of BayonET for one. Another reason is that I use ETPro as a way to tweak the gameplay for standard play. I couldn't care less about clans as I feel they are lame. I do, however, like the way ETPro has fixed a bunch of annoying bugs and allows the server admin to finer tune the style of play on a server.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

etpro is for tourniment
Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod
we could care less about pubbers feeling innadicuate because they can't survive with their 4 secs of invoulnerability
now bayonet is for PUBS
Discussion for Bani's Pub mod
it's being delayed because bani is trying to get the tourniment settings finished
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ReyalP

Re: Attrition in enemy spawn zone?

Post by ReyalP »

jsumners wrote:The largest problem I have run across is people constantly running in the enemy's spawn zone just to kill them as they spawn and thus offsetting the balance of the game. I figure that a zone of attrition would deter this behavior. Maybe a 30ft radius, or more, around the spawn zones that would inflict a constant rate of damage on enemy players.

Thoughts?
YOU SPAWN INVULNERABLE if you cannot use your invulnerability to kill somone in your spawn, it is YOUR PROBLEM not a problem with the game. :roll:

If your team is so completely outclassed that the enemy can walk into your spawn and kill you at will, you need to shuffle the teams.
send lawyers, guns and money
dhUmra

Post by dhUmra »

Let's not crucify him just for asking our thoughts :roll:

You would have new people to the game getting killed by this auto-kill zone all the time and half of them would never figure it out.

Also, many spawn zones are impossible not to cross...what if a guy is camping with the radar parts in their spawn? What if you need ammo and meds and have no intention of camping the spawn but use the axis back warehouse on radar.

Most camps are arty camps or panzer's from a distance. A range wouldn't really help because if a guy can own a group of fresh spawns at close range then there is a problem, the teams are already unbalanced.

I really haven't run into a big problem with spawn campers, it is annoying at times but rarely do I find myself in a situation in which I am consistantly killed by a camper.

It is an idea and not a bad question - just doesn't seem right for the game.

we could care less about pubbers feeling innadicuate because they can't survive with their 4 secs of invoulnerability
now bayonet is for PUBS
He was most likely not referring to the tournament aspect of ET Pro but of how many pubs have it running. I doubt it crossed his mind that ET Pro was tournament only - pretty rude line, IMO - . He has probably had some bad luck or heard of others who have had bad luck of getting constantly spawn camped. Also, many clans don't allow spawn killing on their pub servers (running ET Pro) - so it makes me think, do "WE" not care if pubbers feel [inadequate], or is that just you? Again, not a bad question he asked, perfectly legitimate. Although, given the intent of the mod - a spawn zone would not serve any use in league play.
So lets all sing a song of love
Lets sing sing sing sing
Sing until our throats bleed
jsumners

Post by jsumners »

dhUrma: Thank you.

All:

The great thing about ETPro is that amlost everything can be turned on or off. Also, I don't care who you are, fending off ten people that continually run through your spawn area is not very feasible, even with an astounding four seconds of invulnerability. Think about the Axis spawn next to the the second tank barrier in Gold Rush. Put yourself in a position where 90% of your team is completely retarded and doesn't know how to pick their nose without hurting themselves. Not only do you have to compensate for your poor team but you have to contend with players that know the sky from the ground running through your spawn area to "get to the gold" (funny how they never seem to pick up any gold).

I actually looked around on the web site for a long time to determine if the mod is in any way open source so that I might be able to implement it myself before I posted this idea. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just suggest something that might add to the gameplay.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

Hehe, if your team is that bad, this won't help. /shuffle. Seriously, if things are really THAT unbalanced, there's no point modding in 'improvements'.

If you really do have large numbers of enemy actually IN your spawn, then yes, you CAN beat them. Spawn panzer :twisted:
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

jsumners wrote: I use ETPro as a way to tweak the gameplay for standard play. I couldn't care less about clans as I feel they are lame.
as others have stated, ETpro IS a competition mod. True, it enhances pub play as well, but thats not the intention of ETpro. Unfortuneately, I cannot reply to this without flaming you jsumners, but that is the most RETARDED THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF IN MY ENTIRE CAREER IN GAMING.

if you cant get out of spawn with 4 seconds of invunerability, switch teams, switch servers, or switch games. ET obviously isnt working out for you.

)) NewdeaL
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

if your getting spawn camped, 1 shuffle, 2 select other spawn, 3 go spec till someone on other team switches then join that server.
My Website
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

yea, but in maps like oasis as axis after the wall is blown you have no choice, and panzers camp above just to kill off all-respawners, same in railgun, as allies you have no other choice, and panzers sit behind you cause you spawn in the middle of the whole area, and they just pick you off as you run up to stop the tug, atleast in radar as axis you have other places to run out of same with goldrush :?
Till DEATH do us Part
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

after the wall has been blown select the flag and you spawn in the building to the side of the normal spawn... also the 4 sec invoulnerability should let you get out of the spawn and split up
My Website
No1_sonuk

Post by No1_sonuk »

NewdeaL wrote:as others have stated, ETpro IS a competition mod. True, it enhances pub play as well, but thats not the intention of ETpro.
So what? Target shooting isn't the intended use of guns. Live with it.
NewdeaL wrote:Unfortuneately, I cannot reply to this without flaming you jsumners,
Then maybe not replying would be the best option.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

No1_sonuk wrote:
NewdeaL wrote:as others have stated, ETpro IS a competition mod. True, it enhances pub play as well, but thats not the intention of ETpro.
So what? Target shooting isn't the intended use of guns. Live with it.
...so if it's not the point of the mod, then they're not going to waste time on it :). And no, the point of guns is to kill, and looking at my newspaper, I see that's just what they do - now what's your point? :?

This thread should be in the BayonET forums, where it would be relavent. I'd suggest people start posting as if it WERE in the BayonET forums, given the request is clearly for pubs only ;).
No1_sonuk

Post by No1_sonuk »

KingJackaL wrote:And no, the point of guns is to kill, and looking at my newspaper, I see that's just what they do - now what's your point? :?
My point is that just because the mod is intended for competition use, doesn't mean it can't be used for something else.
KingJackaL wrote:This thread should be in the BayonET forums,
It is.....
I guess you're still following the link from the ETPro forum without noticing the bold "MOVED" in front of it.