Known ETPro 3.0.0 bugs

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Lekdevil.NL

Post by Lekdevil.NL »

Blaz: Yes, you'll find me at QuakeCon again this year. Can't say if there will be an ET tournament, but rest assured that if there's going to be one, I'm going to make sure that every match is to be played blindfolded in last man standing mode with knives only. :lol:

Anyhow, let me elaborate a bit: I don't necessarily think that changing settings by the server is a bad thing, but having those changes saved permanently after visiting a server is.

As it's implemented at the moment, an archived cvar that's changed gets saved to etconfig.cfg. I know that any changes are stored in the cvar_backupnn.cfg files, but people have to execute those manually to get their original config back.

What I'd like to see is that everything gets restored automatically after leaving a server. That way you wont have any unwanted changes carrying over to subsequent ET sessions.
BOTA

Post by BOTA »

As a player and as a serveradmin I do like the idea of changing client variables.
I have seen matches being stalled 30 mins because people did not have their config conformed to the already widel know punkbuster settings for the league they played in.
This must be stopped.
Serveradmins NEED the ability to force such settings to prevent airheads from damaging the fun of an evenig of play.

I do strongly agree that serveradmins should not be messing with client variables which have no relation to the required settings for such a league. For example I as a serveradmin have no business setting your volume settings or hud settings and so on.

The feature is required and needs to be used honestly and effectively.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

thompier wrote:BUG (not ETpro specific)

When you are medic w/ the command "team b 1 8 37" (for exemple) to have directly the Akimo, you switch for the next respawn to solider class w/ SMG after the 4 stars in light weapon...

This bug is also available with the field class, covert class, soldier class, etc...
don't use /team command, we made a /class command for that which doesn't have the bug.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:I guess it's time to write-protect my ETpro config file to protect myself from overzealous server admins...
when you /disconnect from a server, etpro restores your cvars to their original.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

bani wrote:
Lekdevil.NL wrote:I guess it's time to write-protect my ETpro config file to protect myself from overzealous server admins...
when you /disconnect from a server, etpro restores your cvars to their original.
Not to mention, wouldn't it be best to put binds etc in your autoexec.cfg, because it doesn't get written over by ET, and it gets exec'd no matter what mod the server is running :?
Lekdevil.NL

Post by Lekdevil.NL »

bani wrote:when you /disconnect from a server, etpro restores your cvars to their original.
Fair enough. But it doesn't restore them when you \quit, select "Exit Game" from the menu or when the client crashes. That leaves a lot of possibilities for settings not to get restored.
KingJackaL wrote:Not to mention, wouldn't it be best to put binds etc in your autoexec.cfg, because it doesn't get written over by ET, and it gets exec'd no matter what mod the server is running
Yes, you're right. But the point is that wheras I know that and probably everyone reading this forum knows that, the casual gamer doesn't.

I'm thinking of people who've set their connection settings to "ISDN", for instance, and then visit a server that changes their rate and cl_maxpackets cvars. After that, their connection will be borked for every other server that player visits and he'll have no clue whatsoever why this has happened. And because the sv_cvar feature is able to change any client-side cvar, many other ways exist for configs to get mysteriously altered, because of server (mis)configuration.

This whole point would be moot if ETpro still was what it set out to be, a competition mod only. But IMHO it has become much more than that. Through the excellent work of Bani and team, ETpro is now the defacto "patch that never was" and any server admin that has any clue should use it. And they do, as the majority of the servers is now running it. But that also widens its "target audience" to not just competiton players but casual pubbers as well. People who don't have a clue about config files but just see their game that was working fine previously start to act up.

In that light, maybe a "The server wants to change your config, do you want to proceed? Yes/No" popup or an advice in the documentation not to use the feature on public servers is in order.

Just my 0.02
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:
bani wrote:when you /disconnect from a server, etpro restores your cvars to their original.
Fair enough. But it doesn't restore them when you \quit, select "Exit Game" from the menu or when the client crashes. That leaves a lot of possibilities for settings not to get restored.
there's a reason etpro writes your cvars out to cvar_backup##.cfg when it changes cvars on you :P
Lekdevil.NL wrote:In that light, maybe a "The server wants to change your config, do you want to proceed? Yes/No" popup or an advice in the documentation not to use the feature on public servers is in order.
And if they click "No", boot them from the server?

i'm pretty sure that will generate far more complaints than just forcing clients cvars into compliance.
jorylit

damn

Post by jorylit »

the demo error is still persisting. i cant play demos without the "+set fs_game etpro" command, and when i play one time or more in the game, it crashes with the same error massage(BG_IndexForString: unknow token 'NOT':
animations/scripts/human_base.script, line 3351), even with the "+set fs_game etpro" command.
another error is while playing demo, and viewing with freecam, sometimes everything disappears.
it's all happening in the 19 bux fix release.
bani
Site Admin

Re: damn

Post by bani »

jorylit wrote:another error is while playing demo, and viewing with freecam, sometimes everything disappears.
this is not a bug. demos only record what your client sees, not everything on the entire server (or else every player would need a 45mbps T3 to play the game, let alone record a demo)
meLonF

Re: damn

Post by meLonF »

jorylit wrote:the demo error is still persisting. i cant play demos without the "+set fs_game etpro" command, and when i play one time or more in the game, it crashes with the same error massage(BG_IndexForString: unknow token 'NOT':
animations/scripts/human_base.script, line 3351), even with the "+set fs_game etpro" command.
another error is while playing demo, and viewing with freecam, sometimes everything disappears.
it's all happening in the 19 bux fix release.
As far as i can tell when you run ET with the "+set fs_game etpro" command it loads the original release of ETPRO 3.0.0, rather than loading the newest bugfix version of ET pro

i can still play demos but i first have to connect to a server running the latest bugfix version of ET Pro 3.0.0, then disconnect and play the demo

this works okay for me :)
UberBart

Post by UberBart »

All my colours and grapics are fucked up since I got ETPRO3.

Sometimes they are normal, but when I move or stand somewhere else, half of the walls are black, when I move again the floor is black.

This is VERY annoying to play with, the whole screen is flashing with colours!
mouse

Post by mouse »

I still have the same errors when trying to play a demo. Playing trough ETmain gives the Unknown event: 131 error, playing trough ETpro 3.0.0 gives the 'BG_IndexForString: unkown token 'NOT'' error, extracting Dll's doenst fix it. If i download the testversion of ETpro, what would i have to do diffrent to make it work?
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:I'm going to make sure that every match is to be played blindfolded in last man standing mode with knives only.
wow... hitsounds have never been more useful.
"Common sense isn't very common."
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

mouse wrote:I still have the same errors when trying to play a demo. Playing trough ETmain gives the Unknown event: 131 error, playing trough ETpro 3.0.0 gives the 'BG_IndexForString: unkown token 'NOT'' error, extracting Dll's doenst fix it. If i download the testversion of ETpro, what would i have to do diffrent to make it work?
try what i recommended in my previous post (4 posts up ;) )
mouse

Post by mouse »

meLonF wrote:
mouse wrote:I still have the same errors when trying to play a demo. Playing trough ETmain gives the Unknown event: 131 error, playing trough ETpro 3.0.0 gives the 'BG_IndexForString: unkown token 'NOT'' error, extracting Dll's doenst fix it. If i download the testversion of ETpro, what would i have to do diffrent to make it work?
try what i recommended in my previous post (4 posts up ;) )
I read it MelonFarmer, but I would rather not connect to a server everytime i wanted to see a demo. I am very patient, and offcourse I can wait for the next release that will play my demo's better then ever! But I just hoped that there was a solution for this without connecting to for instance Efterlyst. I will try it though, thanx for the help! :)