b_antilag. works, or not?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

I dunno what you guys feel comparing 10 pings with 90 pings. I wish I was so lucky to get pings that good. I play clan matches with 80-120 pings, and occasionally up to 200 when using AUS west-coast servers ( or just when our miserable excuse for a telco fux's it's routing ).

And I can tell you most assuredly, the new antilag is significantly better, ESPECIALLY on really high pings - playing on a 250 ping is now inordinately better than it ever was before. It's so much better it would be a joke to claim anything else - try it sometime on etmain/etpro2.0.7 vs etpro3.0.1, there's massive improvements ( both antilag and antiwarp ). Can't say I've tried it with 350-400 region pings yet ( all the EU servers I've tried so far wouldn't let me connect 'server for low pings only' :| - so no testing there ), though once you get past a half-second of lag, you're really stretching what you can do with antilag.

...if you're getting a 10 ping, why even bother with antilag, just set it to 0 on your client and you're good to go. I know I never used antilag on LAN servers - and even without antilag, playing on LAN is still sooo much better than on the net.

It seems a few complaints here are re: movement. Perhaps find/make a server with b_antiwarphax 0 ( or whatever the antiwarp is ), but with the new antilag on?

And as for claiming headshots are random... well... umm... lol?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

APE wrote: It has changed..belive me, and there is alot of ppl that feel the same thing as me.
Changed, yes. Because it was broken before. Exactly which one of the bugs in my previous post do you want back ? Unless there is a bug somewhere, it has gotten more consistant, and more predictable.

If you do think there is a bug, get yourself and your clan on a server with the debuging stuff on, play, and demo it. Then point out in the demo where things are wrong. Or maybe, looking at the debug boxes, you will find that you need that need to adjust your aim to land headshots, and there is no bug.

IMO, that will get you a lot farther than asking for the old bugs back again.

Saying it 'feels different' and 'headshots are broken' doesnt help solve the problem, or even prove that there is one.
send lawyers, guns and money
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

APE wrote:[Bani: Is this something that you would have the time/motivation to fix, ie rebuild the head hitbox?
Isnt the head and the body two diffrent parts, thats not really "connected" to eachother or you could say that there was a rubber band(hoho) between them and makes the headshot such a huge random thing..and couldnt it be attacted to the body in some way, ie the bodys position + (X10 * Y10 * Z10) a scuare box = would be where the head _IS_ so it would have it static instead of just random?
fixing the head hitbox will require a huge amount of effort.

the server does use a static position for the head hitbox right now, and thats the cause of the problem! static positions dont match up correctly with what the clients are drawing, because the models bending follow complex splines and the server doesn't have model information to position it correctly.

stock etmain head hitbox
stock etmain head hitbox
stock etmain head hitbox

to put it simply: no, the fix is not going to be simple or easy or quick. period. the answer to any "can't you just do..." question is NO.
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

Alternate solution: fix MODELS ? (I understand this take as much work, but if someone in the etpro team can work those out so they move smooth and seem real following the head hitbox, could be an alternative solution - BTW: can you do that in a mod or is it connected to the game engine in any way?)
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

Surely changing the models wouldn't fix anything. The only way that WOULD fix anything would be if the models had NO animation. I'm guessing to fix it they'd have to make significant changes to the netcode ( including making the game use more bandwidth - I couldn't guess how much, but I'd imagine it'd kill off any playability on dialup.. ), and the antilag/hit prediction code.

Sounds like they'd just be re-coding GHOUL.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

defragga wrote:just put back the old antilag code, and fix the lagcheats, that worked in et pro 3.0.0 bugfix 20 ?! too ... that was great :)
i think it would be better if there would be setting for normol broken antilagg / etpro antilagg / and maybe soem toher antlagg
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:
defragga wrote:just put back the old antilag code, and fix the lagcheats, that worked in et pro 3.0.0 bugfix 20 ?! too ... that was great :)
i think it would be better if there would be setting for normol broken antilagg / etpro antilagg / and maybe soem toher antlagg
lol what? :)
Noobie

Post by Noobie »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:
No, then aiming would be different on each server, that would make it worse.
________
TEEN PREGNANCY ADVICE
Last edited by Noobie on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

I don't understand the new system because the lack of documentation, so a few questions:

- g_antilag
Is it now just a dummy variable that doesn't affect anything? So that the Server-Admin can't decide about enabling/disabling antilag?

- b_antilag

If the client can decide weather to use it or not - how is it calculated if one Player turns it to 0, and the other to 1?

See the post in the masterchangelog:
This information conflicts with the statement in the
"new: individual players may enable/disable antilag independently of server setting (b_antilag)"

It would be really nice to put up a better documentation although its a lot of work - it's better than all the confussion now.
defragga

Post by defragga »

adding a feature where u can choose old antilag, new antliag code etc.. would be great, and aiming wouldnt become that different, cause leagues will set their configs with one setting, and all clans would switch their servers like (for example cb config) ...
And I bet, clanbase would change the settings to old antilag, cause really a lot of the clans in the euro and opencup, a lot of really the top clans in eurupe, want the old antilag code (not everybody, but a lot ...)

I'll send a demo to bani, where u can see in the demo, that I really aim on the head, and a few times nothing happens ... I'd landed a lot more headshots in old et pro with the same aiming.
before antilag I had stats of hmm 10kills 15 headis, and now 10kills 10 or fewer headis, and thats a big difference.

and I play clanwars with ping 120 ca., ..., and aiming become so much harder, I die more often, and easier because of that bodyshots, ...
agrado

Post by agrado »

Zaphod wrote:b_antilag

If the client can decide weather to use it or not - how is it calculated if one Player turns it to 0, and the other to 1?
antilag affects you shooting the other person, not the other way around. If you turn it on then you get the benefits, but it has absolutely zero effect on anyone else.
ownage

Post by ownage »

why even mess with the netcode in the first place, why not leave it the way splash damage intended when they released et.
ownage

Post by ownage »

why even mess with the netcode in the first place, why not leave it the way splash damage intended when they released et.
christa

Post by christa »

ok..so the antilag isnt the cause of my laggy unsmooth ET. But the b_antiwarp could be?
Lagger says PB makes it laggy aswell, but i didnt feel the lag in ET PRO 2.0.7.
How can i check what the b_antiwarp is set to on servers?
*BiO*Tron

Post by *BiO*Tron »

christa: /pb_cvarval [cvar_name] (e.g. /pb_cvarval b_antiwarp)

Only works with Punkbuster enabled servers where this function has not been disabled. It should be enabled on most servers though as the default setting is enabled. 8)