b_antilag. works, or not?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

ownage wrote:why even mess with the netcode in the first place, why not leave it the way splash damage intended when they released et.
Why don't we all play on buggy etmain servers, since that surely is the way Splash Damage intended it?
defragga

Post by defragga »

because there is no league in which u could play with that :D

well, I've now a lot of demos where u can exactly see that I aim on the head, but I hit noooooothing :(
I'm just back of a 6on6 ... and I'm really sad, that my aiming has become that crappy o_o
Noobie

Post by Noobie »

defragga wrote:because there is no league in which u could play with that :D

well, I've now a lot of demos where u can exactly see that I aim on the head, but I hit noooooothing :(
I'm just back of a 6on6 ... and I'm really sad, that my aiming has become that crappy o_o
Are you aiming at the head-hitbox or on the head of the player model?
________
Marijuana
Last edited by Noobie on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Zaphod wrote: If the client can decide weather to use it or not - how is it calculated if one Player turns it to 0, and the other to 1?
It is very simple. Antilag works be putting all the players back to the positions they were at when you shot, rather then when your request to shoot reached the server.

So if I turn b_antilag off, this is no longer done for my own shots. Nobody elses shots are affected!

And FWIW, all the antilag stuff is still done on the server, b_anitlag is just used to let the client tell the server whether they want their own shots to be backwards-reconciled or not.

See
http://www.planetquake.com/alternatefir ... d_faq.html
for more information.
send lawyers, guns and money
defragga

Post by defragga »

Noobie wrote:
defragga wrote:because there is no league in which u could play with that :D

Are you aiming at the head-hitbox or on the head of the player model?
I'm aiming on the head that appears in my game, ... so I think I'm aiming on the model, as I did before et pro 3.0.1 too ... and there I hit a lot more :)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

defragga wrote:I'm aiming on the head that appears in my game, ... so I think I'm aiming on the model, as I did before et pro 3.0.1 too ... and there I hit a lot more :)
the head on client doesnt match with the headbox on server neither on etmain nor on etpro:

http://bani.anime.net/et/hitbox1.jpg
http://bani.anime.net/et/hitbox2.jpg
http://bani.anime.net/et/hitbox3.jpg
christa

Post by christa »

so this means aim higher and u will hit face or???
Anyways i think i found my lag problem.. i have huge FPS drops randomly, i have never experienced that before et pro 3.0.X, and i dont have a sucky pc :?
IVAN

Post by IVAN »

whats the command to add those hitboxes ?
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

i think those boxes are from g_debugbullets 7
defragga

Post by defragga »

add to your server.cfg

set sv_cheats 1
set g_antilag 9
set g_debugbullets 1

after that u can set your cg_railtrailtime to hmmm ca. 1000 (miliseconds), then u see the hitboxes, and the bullet fly as a colored lines :)

I did that, and I saw antilag is working but, that doestn explain why I'm hitting nothing anymore
Majikthise

Post by Majikthise »

A good portion of everyone's problem is a nice placebo effect. One person had a bad game, and decided to blame it on 3.0.1. They bitched about it, and all those within an earshot thought, "hey, y'know, I was doing bad yesterday, too. It -must- have been 3.0.1!". So, people now have this mentality that they're doing bad because of 3.0.1.

The reality is, the anti-lag is much better now, and there is NO other reason for your aiming to be worse. Nowbody has shown any kind of "proof" as to why their aiming is worse, nor have they given any specific reasons why it's worse. Here's a quick way to fix the problem:

1.) Read up on ow antilag works. This would be a good start: http://www.planetquake.com/alternatefir ... d_faq.html. This step is -very- important. A better understanding of the topic at hand helps more than anything else.

2.) Take the time to think about how this applies to the game, than read the previous topics explaining how the old anti-lag was broke.

3.) Realize that the fixes and changes were mostly done to the "broken" stuff, and the bulk of it is still the same. Now you should know that the only thing different is your thinking on the matter.

If anyone manages to find any technical reasons as to why anti-lag is suddenly worse, please, give some details and examples. Gather with some clanmates on a server and shoot each other. Try to find exactly where the shots are failing to hit. Info like this would help a whole lot more than, "It feels different! I miss all the time!".
defragga

Post by defragga »

loool ... I know that my aiming, and the aiming of a few good players decreased ... because of the new antilag code, so pls go away with the unlagged faq ... most of us know how it works (not very detailed, but we know it ...) and we said everything we could say about this problem, we are no programmers or developers to say whats exactly wrong
the fact is, et pro 3.0.1 is so much different from et pro 2.0.7 aiming, that the whole practice in aming is gone away, the hours playing and learning to aim seem so worthless now, and thats dissapointing me :(
[Koff3]ArseMeister

Post by [Koff3]ArseMeister »

Well, I've noticed that this new antilag code works much better when dealing with shots shoot between low and high ping players. In 2.0.X a high pinger could easily get shots to hit even when a low pinger had long gone "safe" behind a corner. Now it seems that there's no phantom shots reaching you anymore when dodging high pinger's shots behind a wall. The antilag must be then working better than before, eh...!? And if your aiming sucks there's a wide selection of weapons of mass destruction like pf, mortar, flamer... Don't need to worry about your (headshot) accuracy! :lol:
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Zaphod wrote: - g_antilag
Is it now just a dummy variable that doesn't affect anything? So that the Server-Admin can't decide about enabling/disabling antilag?
:?:
APE

Post by APE »

ok, ive done some further testing..my accuracy has incresed up to normal and even bettre, around 40%. But..still the headshot thing is fucked up, Ive for exempel 30 kills and 10 hs and thats when I aim for the head.
The main reason we have the thread for is that the more experinced players aim for the head and it has got alot more harder to get headshots, thats why you heard about it, the other antilag code, expept thats seems preatty good to me.
Is there anyway in decreaseing the headshot randomness, like it was in the other etpro versions?
And another thing..ive experienced something that I belive is a bug, sometimes it feels like the game runs on slomo for a couple of seconds..if u remember the feeling when there were alot of action on beach in rtcw, but not so severe..ie the fps drops and things start to float away, anyone that has seen this?
Last edited by APE on Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Right..