When, if ever, will etpro have long-term xpsave?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

[rD]MrBlond

When, if ever, will etpro have long-term xpsave?

Post by [rD]MrBlond »

I know/understand the arguments against... Privates vs Generals blah blah blah.

The fact remains that 18 of the top 20 servers (based on attendance) run shrub (the other 2 run etmain), because they have unlimited xpsave enabled.

We have three servers:

Original maps: reservoirDogs.us-XP SAVER - 66.98.154.100:27960 (packed 99% of the time - running shrub)

Custom/original mixed: reservoirDogs.us-XP SAVER II h00t's customs - 207.44.180.214:27960 (packed 20% of the time - running shrub)

TWL settings Stopwatch server: reservoirDogs.us-TWL Server - 207.44.180.214:27961 (packed 0.1% of the time - running etpro)

I personally like playing on the TWL server because it has ETPRO and the map scripts that allow grass on Radar removed, command post spawn on Fueldump, back door enterance on Battery, etc., etc.

Problem is that I sit on there alone for 20 minutes and decide to move on to one of the other servers that are packed. I think that if ETPRO had a setting that allowed XP to be saved unlimitedly, across campaign re-starts, that we could get many folks to run servers with it. I would much rather play on a server with ETPRO map scripts than a shrub server with badly made maps/spawns/image maps.

Those who don't want to play Privates vs Generals don't have to enable it.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i'm sorry i know it doesn't have to be enabled (and if it were an option hopefully 99% of servers wouldn't) but THIS is the reason i avoid all shrubet servers... don't make me start looking through etpro servers for this setting
bayonet would be good to use this, but i hope not etpro
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

face it gotenks bayonet will be in 2005 whne no1 ever paly et nomore :D

but for etpro i think its never
[rD]MrBlond

Post by [rD]MrBlond »

gotenks wrote:i'm sorry i know it doesn't have to be enabled (and if it were an option hopefully 99% of servers wouldn't) but THIS is the reason i avoid all shrubet servers... don't make me start looking through etpro servers for this setting
bayonet would be good to use this, but i hope not etpro
I don't know why you have a problem with XPsave.... I have no problem whatsoever going on an xpsaver server and quickly moving up in the ranks.

In fact I prefer it cuz it makes the n00bs a better shot and more competative for me to play against. Without I would simply dominate the server for three hours and not improve my skills.
eclipse+

Post by eclipse+ »

[rD]MrBlond wrote:
In fact I prefer it cuz it makes the n00bs a better shot and more competative for me to play against. Without I would simply dominate the server for three hours and not improve my skills.
So don't play against noobs then.
::Amish World Order::#awo @gamesurge.net::http://www.amishworldorder.org
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

[rD]MrBlond wrote:Without I would simply dominate the server for three hours and not improve my skills.
Right ..

well i personaly prefer XP save aswel but last time this was discussed it was surprised about how much ppl didnt like

(but XP saver would be cool in combination whit etpro stats saver :D)
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

I have to agree with Gotenks. For me, ETPro is a noob filter, in that Shrub attracts them like flies, ETPro doesn't, and I'd very much like to keep it that way.

In UK/Europe there are some extremely popular ETPro SW servers (as in you have to queue for ages to get on them), that run CB settings, XP tweaks, map scripts etc, and the quality of player is extremely high. I can't see how giving the "noobs" LVL4 LW makes them tougher competition.
Heimdal

Post by Heimdal »

Giving the n00bs L4 LW just makes them use the double pistols at all times, even easier :P
CrosshairBill

Post by CrosshairBill »

XP Save = 3 panzers per side firing a shot every 8 seconds, 4 fiieldops/side spamming lvl 3 arty, 5 riflenaders/side popping them off every 3 seconds, etc.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

CrosshairBill wrote:XP Save = 3 panzers per side firing a shot every 8 seconds, 4 fiieldops/side spamming lvl 3 arty, 5 riflenaders/side popping them off every 3 seconds, etc.
wow sounds like heaven
BOTA

Post by BOTA »

Frag-Fest! :P
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Make it stop.
This game wasn't balanced for XP save and the domination of such servers (if it's not XP save, then it's a 10 map campaign or at least a 6 map campaign) is the main reason why I don't enjoy playing on publics anymore, besides on the kind of servers which Kendle hinted at (and those are usually full).
It's just completely unbalanced and unchallenging, either the spam is getting so excessive that you can simply forget about serious playing, or I'm getting all kind of super bonuses after two maps, which give me an incredibly unfair advantage and just cause me to /disconnect.
I'm not opposed to XP or even campaigns on public servers, but the defaults are alright. It can be fun to start with nothing and work your way up, but on those servers the idea is completely ridiculed, you could just as well just make everyone start with level 4 at everything.
I wouldn't even complain if there would be like 50% default campaign/objective/stopwatch servers and 50% XP save/10 map servers, but the current situation is just silly. Don't make it worse!