suggestion for vocal announcements

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

daemord

suggestion for vocal announcements

Post by daemord »

Now i dont know if this is possible but here we go anyway.
Im sure we are all by now annoyed at the classic oasis flag capture situation, when ur figting over it and constantly getting reminded about it over the vocal announcements until 5 mins after its done.
We have had many suggestions on here from removing it to making it overlap and stuff.
But i have came up with something that i feel is obvious that im shocked it has taken me till now to come up with it, im just not sure if its possible.
There might also be maps this applies to (not just oasis) but i cannot remember what they say off hand, anyway
ET Pro is a competition mod, so its fair to say that MOST people playing allied know that upon capturing the flag they need to blow the wall, MOST axis people then know they need to defend the wall.
Why oh why do we have it pointing this out to us each and ever time the flag is caught, if im axis i know i need to defend the wall, i have played the game loads of times i dont need reminding.
Now i dont know if these extra "reminder" things (also like pointing out that you need to rebuild a command post when its blown up, we know already) can be turned off, maybee if its all one sound file, it can be split up, i dont know, but the overlaps would be massivly shortened if we could just turn off all these "helpfull hints" as tbh there not needed and for me just anoy me
Wether you make this perminent, client cvar, or server cvar, imo it would be very usefull (if possible)

thnx for reading
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Sounds good...would be good if you could turn them off client-side.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

idd...i guess that was what i tried to say in this post..
http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... highlight=
:)
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

good idea

a new cvar with
0 = like etmain
1 = like you said
2 = start with the new announcement immediately (something like we...they...we...they captured the old city :) )
bacon

Post by bacon »

The sounds are played from the map scripts so I donno how you want it to be implemented...
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

I think it's a single sound file, and splitting it could infringe (is there such a word?) the EULA.

Not sure though. Not at all.
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
bacon

Post by bacon »

IdNotFound wrote:I think it's a single sound file, and splitting it could infringe (is there such a word?) the EULA.

Not sure though. Not at all.
Nope.
All sounds are in sound/vo in pak0.pk3
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

bacon wrote:Nope.
All sounds are in sound/vo in pak0.pk3
Then let's do it :P
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

i play a lot of Q3 capture the flag in OSP. it is always important to know where the flags are and there are flag icons, representing blue and red, obviously. when a flag is on the move or dropped or whatever, the icons change or blink to indicate it.

i am sure an objective based system can be done, cg_drawobjectives

and then in a window have the map points that aply to your team, say oasis:

old city spawn [flag/color indicating control]
old city wall [intact/currently planted/blown up]
north gun [intact/currently planted/blown up]
south gun [intact/currently planted/blown up]

as objectives become redundant, they can be dropped automatically, i.e. after old city wall is blown, the top 2 are no longer needed.

the advantage of this is you can look at any map changes instantly on your display as opposed to having to look through console or wait for lagged voice messages to catch up with you.

it will also allow people to provide cover for plants etc, if you only hear dynamite planted and both guns are up (on a public), you have to watch through all the text for which one it is, or hope you spot the glow if you are near it...

edit: furthermore, if its labelled YOUR OBJECTIVES in a clear and visible way, it may induce some newbies to actually try and seek the things they are supposed to do next as opposed to running around exploring the map and playing covert ops or some shit...
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

this has been suggested before, and it hasn't been implemented because more information is needed. you need to know which sounds can interrupt each other, and which ones must be played. so for this to work, you would need to make new map scripts for every map :(.
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

That gave me an idea that probably won't be useful for most of you, but I would be willing to try it out.

I can try coding a program in Delphi (I'll try with CLX so it runs under linux, but I'll go back to VCL in case it gets too complicated/impossible) that is a small form, aproximately 60 pixels wide so it fits on the (top)right corner of my screen, since I play on 1024x768 desktop resolution with a 960x720 ET window.

Parsing the log (logfile 2, must test if it's really reliable) I could track down objectives and maps and display little flags/objetive icons. It won't be considered a cheat since it won't hack OpenGL to display any info inside ET (and also because I don't know how to do it -_-) and still be useful.

It won't be perfect, of course, and also won't be complete. It would just be a simplified and personalized version of a possible b_objectiveflags with only relevant info (to me).

If I try to code such a thing, would anybody actually care or would I be doing this only for myself ? :?

Just wondering... :roll:
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
daemord

Post by daemord »

tbh i dont care which things are visible and which arent, i suss it from command maps and coms this is the whole idea of clan play to me, thats not the problem, the problem is i find it damn anoying to be reminded 5 times i need to blow a damn wall up that i all ready know i have to blow up, and in turn im fairly certain axis dont need to be told 5 times to defend the wall that allies have been told to blow up, the simple point is it wont change game play or anything else a blind bit it would just be less anoying
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

about visible mission status: i think it would be very usefull to have a mission status overview ..

i think i pm'ed bani a while ago..but i must admit it was maybe a too "loose" example i made..but in like RTCW u had flags..that showed which flags was taken...in etpro would be so nice if u could for an example ..have a tank icon..on hud... seeing if its broken or not broken. ...what barrier is repaired/available which gun is blown/armed@ ..and on and on.. i know it would be quite a task to implement..

but i dont even think it has to be that fancy.. when playing the maps..the sub objectives / status IS echoed. (ex: Dynamite planted at tankbarrier 2). so if you could "pick" those lines up..as they occured trough game..and then have a "tab"-window..(like showscores..showstats)..with only the latest obcetive-events (if possible with icons infront)...that would be super..
daemord

Post by daemord »

oh lordy why do people not read.
Okay the whole argument about a visable thing on the screen has been done to death, i dont care about a visible thing, if you cant use the command map thats your problem imo, i manage fine, i know loads of people who manage fine deal with it.
This is about vocal messages that to me just plain anoy me, having played the game for just over a year (ie since it came out) i do NOT need reminding how to play, i dont need to know that upon capturing the oasis flag i need to build a water pump and blow the wall, i dont need it, and im gonna bet a fair few of you lot on here also dont need it, even if it just plays once, try and tell me that after months of hearing it ur not in the slightest bit anoyed at being told to do something over and over by the ingame vocal announcements, im using oasis as an example because its one that happens over and over, but there are others (CP's being one foremost in my mind reminding you to blow it up cause its built, like u dont know already)
This game was built as a public game, and in that guise its usefull, however in ET Pro it isnt, and shouldnt be there, its just plain anoying.

As for some1 further up saying we would need new map scripts, correct me if im wrong but hasnt bani done new map scripts for most the maps anyway to correct bugs and add featers (back door blow on battery, forward spawn on fueldump or do we forget these??) so imo thats not a problem with doing this.

All this is is a fix to an anoyance imo, please put all your on screen notification things in another thread, that isnt what i want this thread for if possible, thank you.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

it was just lead from the original post..sorry ..but im sure bani-crew got the point about the voice messages afterall..i hope