New Color Override Style

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

IdNotFound

New Color Override Style

Post by IdNotFound »

Ok, it may sound like CS to many of you, but I actually missed this today on a pub.

A way to override colors in nicknames on the death messages, so axis players stay with a RED nickname, and allied with a BLUE one.

Of course, this is only for pubs, since you will see the clan tags on the death messages and you will know if it's your team/clan or the other one who is pwning atm.

Just an idea, doesn't hurt to ask...
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
KalleGuld

Post by KalleGuld »

yerah, sounds like a great idea
Edit: None of this is true
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

yea, i like that, too often you get whitenamers floating around in the pubs and nobody pays attention to their names so its hard to see whats happening on your team ;P
Till DEATH do us Part
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

dont alter the playernames but the actual deathmessge colour or index it with a AXIS: or ALLIED: to differentiate.

they took the complete colour change approach in SOF2 and UrT mods, so all fancy colour names were lost :>
todd`

Post by todd` »

I've thought of this before and I'd like it too.. in fact.. instead of the text, there could be icons saying what a person was killed with (like cs :))
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

coda'uk wrote:dont alter the playernames but the actual deathmessge colour or index it with a AXIS: or ALLIED: to differentiate.

they took the complete colour change approach in SOF2 and UrT mods, so all fancy colour names were lost :>
True. Interesting suggestion. Let's do it this way then :)
todd` wrote:I've thought of this before and I'd like it too.. in fact.. instead of the text, there could be icons saying what a person was killed with (like cs :))
I'll pass. Copying CS is not intended, and recognizing kills by icons is annoying. In CoD they even use the damn icons on the console :shock: and it totally sucks.
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
hiro

Post by hiro »

this would be cool as some of my teammates persist in using less than manly colours :P

seriously it would be very useful, I like to be able to see which team is killing which at a glance without having to actually read the console entries. The option to select the replacement colours would be totally tits :)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

omg no dont turn ET into cod or cs that is so ghey leave my ET alone! if you want CS go play CS! ET is fine the way it is leave it alone dont ghey it up

well, if everyone is going to reject my suggestions because CS or cod already have them, then i reserve the right to turn that argument right back around 8)
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

originality is overrated
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

suppose would look ok with the flags used in chat,

but tbh what use is this?

i think ppl in clan games will be able to tell eachother whether or not they are dead; this feature would just use up more of the screen
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

I have played CS and CoD, and I wouldn't like the same kill/death system on ET. Just the names in respective colors or, as suggested above, a quick and dirty death message prefix (similar to TEAMKILL:) like AXIS: or ALLIES:. Would do perfectly and wouldn't lose the color information. The conflicts between AXIS and TEAMKILL should be discussed later :? (teamkills in yellow?)

Since you don't always know who is on your team (specially when players change teams or it gets shuffled) it gives you a better idea of what is going on.

When I missed this, was a weird situation in Goldrush. The server was Locked Box, which shuffles teams after each map (which lasts only one AB stopwatch round). There was a player on the Bank MG-42, killed 2 or 3 in a row, and I could swear it was allied. I was spectating an axis player on the balcony right next to it. He could go upstairs and kill him, but yet, he totally ignored and jumped right into the courtyard to kill other allies, and the MG didn't seem to actually care about him.

I was about to open the console and check the name, because it was currently with 3.0.13 with the scoreboard bug, and I couldn't check his team. Thing is, I spawned, action happened, I couldn't check and the doubt (omg I'm gonna die with it hehe) remained.

Not a big deal, of course, but some simple addition like this could make many situations simpler when you notice your team is dead and you're one of the few still alive.

Anyway, I even appreciate the negative feedback from the dev team. Much better than wondering if they ever actually READ it hehe. Wish this could get in someday, when they lack bigger fishes ;)
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
hiro

Post by hiro »

yep true, it is just a cosmetic enhancement.

However I do find it useful in matches, my team's old tag was blue and I found it easy to notice who was killing who without looking. For example if I am in a firefight and notice in console entires of two blue names leading the line of text followed by red text, I have a pretty good idea that two of my teammates have been taken out. I can then use this information to decide whether I should press my attack, fall back or (heaven forbid) /kill to regroup. :p

I remember once instance in a rtcw comp match where one team changed their tag colours to match that of their opposition, but that's a different matter.

but as I said at the end of the day it is a petty consideration and I'm sure you have bigger fish to fry :)