Banning mortar scripts

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Sphere

Banning mortar scripts

Post by Sphere »

A few people have started using scripts which hit predifinted locations with the mortar - something which isn't entirely unlike an aimbot, and this needs to be stopped ASAP.

You can see the full thread here : http://www.xfire.be/index.php?x=column&mode=item&id=34

Is it true that making cl_pitchspeed and cl_yawspeed cheat-protected cvars will prevent this as one guy suggested ?
(sv_cvar cl_pitchspeed 140; sv_cvar cl_yawspeed 140 in clanwar.config)
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

i agree with sulliwan here.
"Not much difference between having coordinates written on a piece of paper next to the computer or having a script to remember them for you..."
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

I use cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed in a perfectly normal way, I use it to control the yaw and pitch of my damn mortar while aiming with the arrow keys :P
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Ragnarok|GER wrote:"Not much difference between having coordinates written on a piece of paper next to the computer or having a script to remember them for you..."
lol, it's completely different. The difference between a good mortar and an average one is the number of locations you can hit and how fast you can do it.

If you're looking at a piece of paper during a game then you'll be way too slow to be effective. So the difference is that if you use written co-ordinates you'll be shit whereas if you use a script you won't.

A mortar script automates your aiming, removing the human error element, and increasing your accuracy. If this doesn't sound strangely similar to an aimbot then I don't know what does....
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

with a smg, you have to AIM at your enemy.
with a mortar, you don't have to aim, you just shoot at a defined position where your target MAY be. and if a script or your fingers does it makes no difference for me.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

if you want em cheat protected make em sv_cvar or pb_sv_cvar
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

This is a question for league admins, personally I don't have any problems with mortar scripts (aiming with mortars isn't a skill, it's much more of a tactical weapon).
I don't think that banning cl_pitch-/yawspeed would make it impossible though, as you can do most things with +left; wait, etc. It's just a bit slower and less accurate.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

yep but is harder to config though

als if you gonig ot need so much wait's the script might become to slow and useless
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Ok so you're saying you'd add :

command "sv_cvar cl_pitchspeed 140"
command "sv_cvar cl_yawspeed 140"

to the .config file and that'd help prevent it ?

Or would using pb_sv_cvar be better ? Or does it make no difference which you use ? ?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

if you use that, bani's settings will be forced uppon them... if you use the pb ones, they'll be kicked for changing them... personally i'd give them a bit of le-way... as duke said, there are people that use it for other purposes... and forcing settings on these guys will make them leave...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Sphere wrote:Ok so you're saying you'd add :

command "sv_cvar cl_pitchspeed 140"
command "sv_cvar cl_yawspeed 140"

to the .config file and that'd help prevent it ?
No, definitely not. I've tested this now and the only thing you can really use those two vars for is for "fine adjusting" your mortar aim. It does not prevent mortar scripts or make them useless.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

OK thanks gotenks.

I'm actually thinking of it with competitions in mind - what other uses are there for changing these settings which are legitimate, and is there a suitable range which would allow this but prevent the use of it in mortar scripting ?
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

It already seems to be capped pretty low, at least I couldn't find out a real difference between the default and really high values. Lower values could probably be used to make scripts more accurate. Not sure if it would make sense to cap it...
Adacore

Post by Adacore »

The problem with the mortar script is only really evident on maps where you want to hit a number of locations very quickly (generally 2 locations with as little time between the two as possible). Doing this manually is very difficult - you have to move the mortar fast and make sure it's in exactly the right spot - generally human error will play a large role and if the target is precise then skill plays a major part. An example of this would be Oasis - if you wanted to mortar, say, the MG platform and the north platform you could hit them both every time with a script with minimal delay, whereas as an unaided mortar you'd have to have at least a reasonable skill to get both shots in and on target anywhere near as fast - obviously (at least IMHO) such a script gives you a huge advantage in this situation.

The other situation I can think of is if you have to be very precise (shooting very close over a wall or something) the script could save you several seconds in double-checking the co-ordinates and making sure you're exactly on target - just set up in a corner and aim at a predefined point then hit the magic button.

I'm not sure if it should be illegal or not, if there was an easy way to make it illegal I'd probably say it should be, as it does seem awfully similar to an aimbot in some regards.

As a side note the feeling I get when I have a 3-4 man mortar kill is great - I don't think it would be anywhere near as satisfying if I just hit a button and let the script do the aiming for me.
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

nothing wrong with a mortar script... move along