Level 5?

Discussion for Bani's Pub mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

m242

Re: Uh.

Post by m242 »

bacon wrote:Erm, you know dynamite can kill people don't you?
Erm, you know construction madness can kill people don't you?

:roll:

Just as effective as random dyno plants...
shastao

Post by shastao »

My ideas for level 5 ranks (some of which are probably similar to others in this thread)

Soldier: (non-explosive?) damage suffered by nearby teammates is reduced.

Medic: Nearby teammates regen at either 1 or 2 HP/sec. Thinking 1.

Engineer: Nearby teammates recharge charge bar a bit faster, or maybe the ability to deploy some kind of temporary spawn point radar beacon thing that lasts like 2 spawn waves and can be destroyed by the enemy.

Field Ops: Nearby teammates recharge sprint bar faster or maybe nearby teammates can 'borrow' a field ops' charge to call artillery.

Covert Ops: When a covert ops steals a uniform, nearby teammates get an enemy uniform as well. I would make it special so that they (non-cov ops teammates in disguise) can't open teamdoors. This isn't terribly useful except to eliminate the blatant suspicion of two people from opposing sides
not shooting each other approaching your base. An alternative would be giving nearby teammates the line of sight enemy sense (whole map just seems broken, do you *want* the opposing team to automagically know which way you're coming every time or where you're hiding?) and/or the ability to spot landmines.

Battle Sense: I would extend the landmine sensing (in a different color maybe) that lasts a short while (5-10 secs maybe) and anyone on the team can see them in the same manner. Not spotted or reported but detected.

Light Weapons: Ability to pick up any light weapon, but cannot use secondary fire if it is not a light weapon of your class, e.g. medic can't get scope with fg42 or nades with eng rifle.

These ideas are primarily (except the light weapons one) intended for an actual incentive for teamwork. A side suggestion to improve teamwork I would have is change medic's adrenaline to adrenaline other only, and it can act as a full revive if necessary and adrenaline to the target.
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

I suggest a total revamp of the XP system, if it's going to stay at all. Not just level 5 (that much XP makes me dizzy, anyway), but the whole thing.

Right now, most XP skills are individual. A skill only helps the player who earns it, and teammates are granted (at best) secondary gains from it. Exemplary individual skills are the extra ammo clip, extra spawn health, and recoil reduction upgrades.

Imagine if those were gone. In their place: team-oriented skills. These are more like the fieldops "leadership" upgrade that Rain described (2x sprint regen for teammates within 30ish feet of the fieldop). The key distinguishing feature is that they help teammates directly, but don't really do much for you personally.

This changes gameplay dynamics, because then you need teammates, and they need you. If you're good enough, you can still go off alone, but two people taking advantage of mutually symbiotic XP skills can prevail. Moreoever, players with high XP get a visible manifestation of their good performance: people will tend to follow the high achievers and keep them well supplied in order to profit from the beefs they offer.

Of course, this has a nasty potential dark side. Adding a complex new skill system with invisible radii of effect and unintuitive teammate power-ups will "raise the bar" for ET pubbing, making it less accessible to new players who don't know what to do. Additionally, players who come to rely on the powerups of competent teammates will be frustrated by novices who don't know the ropes.

At any rate, this does nothing about runaway train syndrome. The XP system probably just needs to come out.

edit: I bet fixing medics in some way would temporarily negate the need to fix XP
Mystiqq

Post by Mystiqq »

Id drop the 5 lvl and just adjust the current levels (the 4) to be little bit better. Personally i like the fieldop idea: leadership thing... IMO a must feature.

EDIT: just out of the hat: Covops 5lvl, throwable knife that causes bleeding -> slow death if not healed with a medpack. :)