Bani's Law (Bani's Rule of First Person Shooter Analogies)

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

bani
Site Admin

Bani's Law (Bani's Rule of First Person Shooter Analogies)

Post by bani »

In the spirit of Godwin's Law, I am establishing Bani's Law for the forums:

As any thread discussing changes to ET grows longer, the probability of a comparison between the proposed changes and Counterstrike approaches one.

Therefore, anyone who makes this comparison in a thread automatically loses the argument at hand. Anyone who points out that Bani's Law applies to the thread automatically loses the entire discussion.

Corollaries welcome.
iCe_bLASt

Post by iCe_bLASt »

I think this law is stupid , it makes the forum look like Counterstrike :shock:
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

As any thread discussing changes to ET grows longer, the probability of a comparison between the proposed changes and Counterstrike approaches one.
seems to be your sore point, hmm?
any form of censorship is not healthy for discussions and reveals a nazi-like manner. :roll:
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

read godwin's law for the rationale. it's not censorship, it's making people think before they use tired old rhetoric.

i guess you missed that point.

anyone who uses the "omfg dont turn it into counterstrike" are like politicians who pass stupid laws saying "its to protect the children". there's no logic in their argument, it's just an appeal to emotion.

your comment on nazis is also an appeal to emotion. you use emotional words in an effort to support your weak position.
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

nope, my comment on nazis was a joke, just like ice_blasts comment. to argue against an order not to use cs as an argument by using cs as an argument is just the same as argueing against an order refering not to mention hitler ot the nazis by mentioning hitler or the nazis. ;)
woah.. weird syntax. hope you understood me.

the argument "this is just like cs" just means: dont slow the game down, dont make camping possibel, dont use limitef lives. it's just a codeword, nothing else.
ET /= RTCW!
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

the law is to force people to use specific reasoning in their debate, rather than a blanket "dont make it cs". because "dont make it cs" means nothing at all really.

as i said it's just an appeal to emotion.

corollary: "dont make it rtcw" is also an appeal to emotion, and has been overused against every single change from balanced smg's to hud changes to changed battery/fueldump. as you can see the "dont make it rtcw" is an empty argument which means nothing at all.

therefore anyone who uses these arguments automatically loses the discussion. 8)
Nail

Post by Nail »

bani's law :lol: anti-troll measure, I like it 8)
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

you and your trolls :lol: you trying to get him to come here now?
It is a good idea, people have to say why it's bad, just saying "this isn't counterstrike" is like arguing god exists because the bible says so... (ah the good old spamming days)
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

gee to many hard word are used in this law lol not good for my english knowedge :lol:

but i think i understand that part of giving a reason before posting stuff
DG

Post by DG »

not using the goldrush and competition changes means ET turns into CS!!11
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

DG wrote:not using the goldrush and competition changes means ET turns into CS!!11
so you now lsot this conversation ? (me2 by pointing it out) :roll: (confusing)
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

iCe_bLASt wrote:I think this law is stupid , it makes the forum look like Counterstrike :shock:
laughing out loud
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:
DG wrote:not using the goldrush and competition changes means ET turns into CS!!11
so you now lsot this conversation ? (me2 by pointing it out) :roll: (confusing)
i agree, probably along with the majority of actual gamers that this is the case....

its called stating a fact not an emotion

o and DG wins the debate being alot more involved in the ET community (check jolt rtcw forums) than any1 else. (i dont always agree with what he says but he does know abit more about what CLAN-PLAYERS want)
DG

Post by DG »

I havent played for clan in ages.

(off topic) its funny all the people's idea of who should decide what should be done with et. it almost universally includes them and as few other people as possible that they could get away with.

cup admins: "admins should decide on changes"

top clan player: "admins and top clan players who understand the game better than all the other noob peasants should decide"

'self appointed community leader': "admins and oh so important people like me should decide" (+/- topclan players is variable, depending on wether the person thinks they are important enough politically to outweigh topclans)

clan player: "clan players should decide" (which broadly includes all of above). you get the occasional call for league admins, but this is only when they expect never to win the "clan players should decide" argument and think they will have more influence over a league admin.

Of course this is quite a natural reaction, nobody wants to be left out and everyone wants the maximum influence they can acheive, even if simply to minimise how much they can be ignored (aggression vs fear). The two methods to this however vary in significant ways, the 'clean' way where you debate your point and try to acheive census or compromise, and the totalitatian style which is where you try to exclude as many people as possible and withhold information.
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

iCe_bLASt wrote:I think this law is stupid , it makes the forum look like Counterstrike :shock:
No, this law is good. It prevents the forum to become like a CS forum.