flying spawn

Discussion for Bani's Pub mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

>>steven!

flying spawn

Post by >>steven! »

would it be possible to make spawnpoints outside come down with parachutes on :-)

would be cool imo
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Mystiqq

Post by Mystiqq »

Yea id like to see those in ET as well. :) something like the degeneration mod made for RTCW.
There was already talk abou paratrooper which imo would be good idea, but would require probably some special map requirements in order to work... Personally i think it woulf be best to fit the "new class" into the current maps as good as possible without having to resort re-editing maps that much. Thats of course IF there will be new class(es) similar or exactly like paratrooper.

http://www.ultimate-gamer.com/rtcw/images/8wolf13.jpg

Remembered this from RTCW, looks like ready made paratrooper skin/model for axis. :D
Mystiqq

Post by Mystiqq »

IMO theres should be either "paraspawn" or separate "paratrooper" class. Which both have been suggested.
Boco

Post by Boco »

Parachuting into maps would only work if it was very fast. They have Call of Duty mods where you parachute into the map. Not only does it look bad (you can see the edge of the map and whatnot), but you go slow and can easily be picked off from the air.

I wouldn't add a class just based on a paratrooper. Make it a cool special effect, that is all.
<[av]bani> anything which causes boco pain or suffering is \o/
<[av]bani> guns are cool. just saying the word 'gun' gives me a raging hardon.
<[av]bani> DO NOT MOCK HAPPY FUN BANI
<[av]bani> do not run over happy fun bani

* [NW]reyalP thinks he should write a book... "IP Law for fucking morons"
<KingJackaL> haha
<KingJackaL> I'd buy it : D
<WeblionX> I'd scan every page and put it up as a torrent!
bacon

Post by bacon »

Boco wrote:Parachuting into maps would only work if it was very fast. They have Call of Duty mods where you parachute into the map. Not only does it look bad (you can see the edge of the map and whatnot), but you go slow and can easily be picked off from the air.

I wouldn't add a class just based on a paratrooper. Make it a cool special effect, that is all.
Maybe players can't be hit when in the air. Another thing is if players are allowed to shoot from the chute they can easily (especially snipers) pick off other players, which is why they shouldn't be allowed to shoot until on the ground.
Last edited by bacon on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

it should last the same length of time spawn invulnerability does, therefore no1 will get shot, (if not shorter).
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Nail

Post by Nail »

afaik, "Glider Assault" has para spawn
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

wot is glider assault?
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

any spawn you have can do this, just spawn them in the air... they'll fall, but they have invoulnerability... if you slow decent you'll end up making them targets
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Mystiqq

Post by Mystiqq »

Glider assault is probably the worst map ive ever seen, it just isnt meant for ET in my oppion. Also the paraspawn thing in that map isnt exactly what im looking for...
Not only does it look bad (you can see the edge of the map and whatnot)
I thought about that map thing, which id suggest putting the actual "landing" part as close to the ground as possible, but make the descenting slow to compensate it a bit.
Theres problems in this thou, for instance adding a paradrop point in battery without generating these "graphical" problems as seeing map edges and such would be hard or impossible, at least for allied side in this case. Since the spots in the axis side, like the backdoor, seems to be very close to the map Z axis or top.
Not very many places to put paradrop point than the backdoor and possible someplace at the west bunker area. Its death trap i know, but you never know when it might be "useful". :)

Better way would be to have "3rd person" view of the parachuting player from a "fixed point", instead of 1st person one. As i recall WW2 parachutes werent exactly manoeuvreable so 1st person view wouldnt be required since you cant shoot nor do actual "landing" as you could do in for instance Americas army (landing part, not the shooting...). Second or two before the player hits the ground, it would turn to 1st person again.
Also there should be distinctivily different "airplane-fly-over" sound so that it would raise at least some attention, again just an idea. :)
Also small maps like battery arent ideal for something like paraspawn.
... but you go slow and can easily be picked off from the air.
Well thats the disadvantage of using the paradrop or paraspawn, what ever you wanna call it. You get faster near the objective but with a risk involved.

Its a shame i dont have RTCW on me to test out the Degeneration mod my self, just to see the parachuting thing in it. :/
CrazyGuy

Post by CrazyGuy »

Why have a paraspawn in Battery Map. When they're arn't ment to be one in the first place.
The map wasn't design for paraspawn.
Mystiqq

Post by Mystiqq »

Why have a paraspawn in Battery Map. When they're arn't ment to be one in the first place.
The map wasn't design for paraspawn.
That was just example for the graphical problems i explained. Anyways, yes it was not desinged nor was any of the existing maps really, but still the features should be added in a way that they still fit in the current maps without the need to edit them completely. Otherwise it would just be whole lot of work just for a few new maps with this feature...

To me the paraspawn idea would be good for eliminating the usual problem in some cases with the defending team doing the attacking instead of the attacking team (30 min spawnkilling...zzz). Adding this paraspawn would probably relief at least a bit of the "hunger" of an defending team to go "rambo" instead of defending. Thou this problem has been taken into account on some maps, but personally ive been in the point of no return too many times.

Example for battery, at least with the axis having the option to spawn at the command post in etpro edited version, ive played games where axis is just spawnkilling us on the beach without a problem. Adding paraspawn at the backdoor would at least add some chance of recovery for attacking team. Again if axis will keep their defending position at the command post, using the paraspawn there would be impossible, since there would be 2 stationary mg's pointing on the spot where you are probably going to land on...

So this would be good idea to at least give "limits" for defending team how far they can go without exposing their defence...
Also its probably good idea to limit how many can paraspawn at a time.

Again, the separate class paratrooper would be much more "liter" version to add in the game. Since it wouldnt be as unbalancing or problematic than the paraspawn thing...

Said too much already... :shock: