Bots for ET ?

Discussions about ET modding (sdk code, player/weapon modeling)

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

FuryThoR

Bots for ET ?

Post by FuryThoR »

I was wondering that is there way to add bots for standart maps atleast ?

I have seen this "bobot" but it works only in 3 maps and therefore it sucks for good...

The funny detail is that all bot commands remain at sourcecode so it can't be hard to add bots...
gotenks

Re: Bots for ET ?

Post by gotenks »

FuryThoR wrote:The funny detail is that all bot commands remain at sourcecode so it can't be hard to add bots...
that is funny, someone thinking they wouldn't have finished it if they were that close... bot ai is the hardest part, maps have to have way points added in, bobots have 3 maps worth of way points
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
FuryThoR

oh, forgive my ignorance

Post by FuryThoR »

Oh I forgot that all quake based games have that same very "fun" feature

Bots do need waypoints to move around map, since they can "see" it by them self

Also I am very suprised to see that as old game as thief 1 has superior AI when compared to quake engine games. maybe it is because looking glass had an different aspect for developing ai movement than dudes at ID software.

Anyway ironically doom3 has now brought to knowledge some of features were already in systemshock 1. Ie player found emails and other notes from remrant of humas who were killed :D

So I have to say: Excuse my ignorance but I thought that something what is halfly done will be finished too...

Or then Et was never thought to be played with bots...
bacon

Post by bacon »

The problem is that you'd have to create a whole new bot system before even getting the AI coded. The AAS system might not even work in ET, there's been some changes to it. Also none of the maps can support AAS so even if you manage to create an .aas file it'd be pointless.
You'd have to spend months debugging your code then coding ai (could take years to code ai depending on how good you are with ai programming amoung other factors).
FuryThoR

Post by FuryThoR »

Yeah well if that is true then it is more than funny.

Since ET was supoed to be commercial expansion to rtcw but it didn't satisfy (someone).

Anyway there is source code available so I wander why they just can't use force and read that code to see how AI should be added.

Ofcorse it can be quite long, but still it don't absolutely make sense if since why to alter something that works for fairly good...

But let's see how that bobots project develops...
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Hmm, why don't you try making your own AI? After all, you make it sound so easy.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

the problem with bots is that they're bots. they are basically cheaters, lol. making a believable aim is important i think, so it's not like they have an aimbot. bobots are WAY too accurate. luckily they are dumber than a bag of hammers, so you can just outsmart them - but you won't likely outshoot them face to face. wolfbot for rtcw was very good, acceptably aimbot-ish - you could beat 'em if you stayed focused - but they moved like total robots. the Q3 bots would just "wiggle" the crosshair over their tagrets, basically to cause them to miss. it wasn't pretty to spectate, but it did the job. i actually think thos bots are great still.

the best recent bots are the built in ones from CS:CZ. they're really quite good. the only thing they suck at is nades - they chuck 'em the moment they spawn and bleed teammates, lol. i just disallow them from using nades (and shields, coz bots with shields is annoying), and they can almost make you forget they're not real.

http://www.turtlerockstudios.com/CSBot.html

they even have a "learning" feature for custom maps, although when i tested it on a map with a bunch of chainlink fences, they apparently didn't "see" the fences and never were able to walk around them, they just bumped into them forever. still, that's pretty damn leet to load a custom map and see the game say "please wait, learning map and creating waypoints".

i'm hoping Valve hires the same guy to code bots for Source :D
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i hope RCW2 has bots :)