bandwidth/load question

Discussion about specific ET servers

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ouroboro

bandwidth/load question

Post by ouroboro »

i have a good friend who is a webhost. he runs no game servers, but i was thinking i could maybe get a good deal from him if he were to let me run an et server on one of his boxes.

what i'm wondering is, how much BW does an et server use? is there a way to calculate this so i can give him some rough estimates? also, would running a game server on the same box as his clients' websites cause any problems for them?

basically i would only ask him if it would have no negative impact on his business.

thanks
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

remember maxrate is in bytes, so if your bandwith limits are measured in bits, multiply by 8

maxrate*<#players>=bytes/sec
maxrate*<#players>/1024=Kbytes/sec
((maxrate*<#players>*3600*24*30/1024/)1024)/1024=Gbytes/mon
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Possum on a Gumbush! so at maxrate 25000 on a 14 slot box, assuming its constantly full, we're approaching a TB per month!?! then how in hell can places offer servers for like $30/mo?

oh and what about CPU load? would a game server make the websites on that box slower? since most sites, especially business sites, use some kind of database like php/msql which needs cpu time.

??
Mark

Post by Mark »

ouroboro wrote:Possum on a Gumbush! so at maxrate 25000 on a 14 slot box, assuming its constantly full, we're approaching a TB per month!?! then how in hell can places offer servers for like $30/mo?

oh and what about CPU load? would a game server make the websites on that box slower? since most sites, especially business sites, use some kind of database like php/msql which needs cpu time.

??
You don't need a rate of 25000 for a 14 slot box. I bet 12500 would be also sufficient. Up to 24: 16000, >24 = 25000.

btw. Servers (even public) aren't full 24 hours a day. I also have a 20 Slot server running, which is empty in the night and mostly mornings. Never had more then 120 GB/month (i use maxrate 16000).

CPU: 20 slots =20 - 30% cpu usage on a Athlon XP 2700+. (depends on map)

btw. Don't try to use a celeron/duron 1400 or something. Those boxes are too weak, if you also have a webserver / mysql db running.

Greets
Mark
Get owned at: Gaming@d1p.de (217.172.182.126:27960)
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
DG

Post by DG »

even if you sit it at 25000 maxrate they wont be using all of that rate all of the time (even when it is full), especially not with only 14 players. There certainly wouldnt be anything like double the bandwidth used if maxrate is 25000 versus 12500. Anyway 13000 is the usual setting and you certainly shouldnt be getting complants with that on a 14 player.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

1. remember it's MAX rate, so unless they're arty spamming and flaming the entire map they won't use the bandwith the full rate
2. virtually impossible to be full all the time, but i know some servers do use 400-800GBytes per month
My Website
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

ouroboro wrote:

??
I would suspect you will notice it the other way around first. The game will get laggy when the web server or db needs a bunch of CPU. If it gets to the point where the web server is noticably bogging down, the game will be unplayable.

If you allow people to download maps, that can add to your BW as well. Especially if other servers decide to leech them :curse:
send lawyers, guns and money
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

the game (running console only) takes very little cpu, wouldn't worry about it... zer0's ran 3 et servers (et), 1 rtcw server, 1 vent server, a phpnuke website, and a vent server
My Website
Naked Pope

Post by Naked Pope »

Maybe our stats are helpful:

http://z0ck.net/mrtg/

P4 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM

2x 16 slot public (1 stopwatch, 1 headshot),
1x 16 slot private,
1x 6 slot private are running besides

apache and mysql for our forum, psybnc and ventrilo. Note, the ET servers aren't used very much :)
DG

Post by DG »

anyone with info want to post what their server's actual bw usage is, just so we can get an empirical perspective on actual bw use?

not sure what i'd need to see what it is on my dedicated box running w2k with fairly restricted user?