supplydepot2 etpro mapscript

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Mat3k

supplydepot2 etpro mapscript

Post by Mat3k »

I dont know about the US, but here in Europe supplydepot is a really popular map. The first version had a spawnbug and the author said it was fixed in supplydepot2, but it's not. Sometimes, if you don't set you spawn to forward bunker, you spawn at the back.

I dont know if its possible in this case, but you've done a lot of spawn changes (for example with fuel and battery), can you add a mapscript for supply that fixes the mentioned problem?
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

Actually the second version was not done by the Orginal Author...

Someone might need the BSP to do something with it but I'm not 100% sure..
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

it is posable since u can create / remove things but to remove it u ptobely need the .map to know witch spawnpoint to remove
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

First you have to figure out what is wrong. It looks like it might be a timing issue with the setautospawn

From the supplydepot2 script:

Code: Select all

// Set starting spawns
		// The wait command after is VERY IMPORTANT for correct spawns!
		wait 500
		setautospawn	"Forward Bunker Spawn"	0
		setautospawn	"Forward Bunker Spawn"	1
		wait 1000
There is some fairly ugly timing interaction between the script and the players spawning. 500 seems a bit long to me. You need to wait long enough for the entities to be alive, but before the players start spawning. The bummer is that you need 6 or seven people on the server to verify.

From the oasis script, which works correctly, 100% of the time:

Code: Select all

// Set autospawn markers <team &#40;0 = axis, 1 = allies&#41;> <message key of marker>
		// Spawns on siwa&#58;
		// Axis Garrison
		// Allied Camp
		// Old City
		wait 150

// rain - properly set initial spawns
		setautospawn "Allied Camp"		1
		setautospawn "Old City"			0

wait 350
One possible way to really fix this, getting around the timing issues completely, would be to add code into etpro to accept the intial autospawn as an entity key on the team_WOLF_objective.

There is another difference I see, related to team_WOLF_objective entitities and the script. Oasis sets the axis to autospawn at the "Old City" an the allies to autospawn at their initial spawnpoint. It only changes the allied autospawn when they actually get the flag. supplydepot sets both autospawns to the "Forward Bunker Spawn" right at the start. That shouldn't make a difference, but who knows...

In general, one should be able to use oasis as an example, since it behaves exactly the way supply depot should, and I have never seen it fail.

I would love to have this fixed, I'd be happy to try a few things out if I can round up 6-7 people to test.
send lawyers, guns and money
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

I'm happy to fill up a server to help test it.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

id love this to be fixed aswell unfortunately im in the middle of exams atm so can not help test, but gl reyal
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

reyalP

If you can make a change let me know I am willing to jump on your server to test it... Looks for me on IRC around 9pst any night..
mortis

Post by mortis »

Why would it say "Foward Bunker Spawn" for both teams? Isn't that the same entity?

// Set starting spawns
wait 500
setautospawn "Forward Bunker Spawn" 0
setautospawn "Forward Bunker Spawn" 1
wait 1000

...whereas your quoted example from oasis names "Allied Camp" for Allies and "Old City" for Axis....

What is the name of the autospawn for the Allies?

--Mortis
mortis

Post by mortis »

I found the name of the entity here:

accum 0 set 0
wm_announce "The Axis have captured the forward bunker!"
setautospawn "Allied Start" 1
alertentity forward_wobj

Allied Start is what it should read....

so the code for the initial state should be:

// Set starting spawns
wait 150
setautospawn "Allied Start" 1
wait 350

Right? :wink:

I put the script here:

http://www.bsdterritory.com/img/Mortis/ ... pot.script

...if anyone would like to try it. I also am trying it at Primer's Linux 64, but the map only comes up every so often...

--Mortis
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

I would try just setting the waits to the same as oasis first. One caution about testing that on primers is that there may be more players than there are forward spawnpoints, thus forcing a few to spawn back no matter what. ISTR there are only 12 or so spawn points for each team at the flag.

If you change the initial autospawn point for allies, you will most likely have to change other parts of the script too (to set it when the flag gets capped). In theory, having the allies trying to autospawn at the flag isn't problem, because the code looks for the nearest enabled spawn point to that particular entity. The allied spawn points around the flag don't get enabled until it is owned by the allies, so failing that, the nearest ones will be the initial spawn.
mortis

Post by mortis »

I tried my modified script last night and it didn't crash out nor did I notice any bugs with it. We were playing 10-10 at the time, and Axis seemed to spawn foward even though I capped the flag during warmup. I am very optimistic about the script fix, but I can't say beyond any doubt that I fixed it for sure, as yet. I found the spawn entity name "Allied Start" from the Axis flag cap portion of the script that resets the main gate spawn to Axis when the flag is capped by Axis, and resets the Allied spawn to the original spawn.

I am still researching the effects.

BTW - Do etpro map script changes take effect only on a hard restart? Or do they take effect on a soft restart, like going from Stopwatch to Campaign mode 'server restarting'?

--Mortis
Fusen

Post by Fusen »

if you want backup on if your script works trying asking on splashdamage mapping section as alot of top qualtiy mappers/scripters there
________
marijuana pictures
Last edited by Fusen on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

mortis wrote:
BTW - Do etpro map script changes take effect only on a hard restart? Or do they take effect on a soft restart, like going from Stopwatch to Campaign mode 'server restarting'?

--Mortis
No, they seem to take effect on soft restart. If you set it in warmup, it will take effect when the match starts.
hiro

Post by hiro »

just out of interest, would a script fix for supply depot 2 work with the original if it were renamed appropriately?

our league still uses the original as with SD2 still having the spawn bug, the only real difference was the scaffolding and players much preferred the ladder.
mortis

Post by mortis »

It would have have its own script, but if the buggy code in question is replaced, the etpro map script should fix it. It would have to approved by the competition leagues of course before it could be used in competition.

If this fix works, then I will make a supplydepot2 script to fix supplydepot2 as well.

I have the mappers at the splashdamage forums looking into it now....

--Mortis