ETTV 2.60 Chaining Madness

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

deej

Post by deej »

Well the idea of having a "test image" before the match starts or even between disconnects would be great. That way a slave can always be connected to its hub and in the background the hub could do some changing or reconnect to other pages if necessary.

Also, like Lekdevil said, if you're going to set up a broadcast "web" or something you'll need to be able to provide back-up hubs. So if there are 4 master hubs and one them goes down his slaves should automatically reconnect to any of the other 3 (if still room).

This would require some form of session synchronisation between the master hubs so that they are all aware of what the others are doing, or even better one virtual Master Adress that hides the 4 hubs and distributes the load evenly. Guess they'll have to use TCP instead of UDP to communicate between them... 8).

Now we're really getting on a professional level :D. No headaches yet :poke: Bani? ;-). :rock:
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

Just in response to DG, /tv_chat off only stops it being displayed onscreen, it's still logged in the console if you have a look.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
sushi

Post by sushi »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:As for QuakeCon: we'll probably just run with what we've got at that point in time. Any suggestions would be more than welcome!
First try and grab infos from them about casting. They don't seem to be much interested by a nice worldwide broadcast :(
sushi

Post by sushi »

deej wrote:I think that if you use a linux box with a 2.6 SMP kernel, the kernel will be in charge of dividing the CPU cycles. At least that's how I figure it after heaving read a bit on how linux does the SMP thing. But to assign one process to one cpu, I don't know if that's possible.
Linux kernel will do it if ET is multithreaded. top(8) should display on which CPU the thread is running (at least I hope so, but I don't use Linux. I have much more firepower with linux emulation on FreeBSD than a crappy linux, on same hardware). On FreeBSD it will be one process per CPU, that's why its better to have different ETTV servers on each SMP box (and it's trivial to spread the connections on them, using round robin DNS, or sticky IP redirections), rather than one huge process.

Oh, you can't force a process to execute on the CPU you want, at this time.
Lekdevil.NL

Post by Lekdevil.NL »

sushi wrote:
Lekdevil.NL wrote:As for QuakeCon: we'll probably just run with what we've got at that point in time. Any suggestions would be more than welcome!
First try and grab infos from them about casting. They don't seem to be much interested by a nice worldwide broadcast :(
Well, "they" is me in this case, and I can assure you that I'm very much committed to making sure the QuakeCon ETTV signal will reach as many homes as possible...
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

sushi wrote:Oh, you can't force a process to execute on the CPU you want, at this time.
if you have linux and glibc2.3 you can. use taskset