downloading stuff from server

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

jump3r

downloading stuff from server

Post by jump3r »

I dont like to download all the stuff public servers tend to have installed, like different skins, sounds etc. so I have "cl_allowdownload 0" in my autoexec and it works, but

1) About an hour ago I ran ET and joined some public server and to my surprise it started downloading, so I assume it had "forcecvar cl_allowdownload 1", if it is true then it shoudn't be allowed...

2) I often get kicked after map change, because I don't have the map, I'd like to dl it, but not to dl all other "goodies". Please add something like "Get missing files from server" - no/yes/"map files only"

-Paladin, thx Jump3r for account (I'm lazy to reg)
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

It would certainly be nice if you could specify to only allow necessary files (e.g. maps only) with cl_allowdownload 2 for example.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
tdg_sparky

Post by tdg_sparky »

here, here!!

I hate downloading watermarks and crap.
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

and how do you determine what pk3's are maps and what pk3's are crap?
deej

Post by deej »

a map pk3 contains a bsp file.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
mortis

Post by mortis »

Meaning that hacker admins would add a fake bsp file to their hax pk3s in all probability. Malicious server admins can usually find a convenient way to explout the download vulnerability, unless the check is obfuscated by looking for some highly improbable and not publicly known file types.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Hell, I don't know how to do it or even if it can be done, I just said it would be nice. :)
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Fusen

Post by Fusen »

mortis wrote:Meaning that hacker admins would add a fake bsp file to their hax pk3s in all probability. Malicious server admins can usually find a convenient way to explout the download vulnerability, unless the check is obfuscated by looking for some highly improbable and not publicly known file types.
except the point wasnt to stop hax pk3s, it was to not download unneeded crap except the map files, e.g. watermarks/skins
________
vaporite solo vaporizer
Last edited by Fusen on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

It would be great.. i just HATE all those lame paks.. suddently your loading screen is all different. sounds fucked up..flagas differetn.. and i havent seen a single one of those paks that i actually want to use.

dunno how it would be done.. but it could be sweet if you could avoid gettting all that crap in our etfolder.
Spoofeh

Re: downloading stuff from server

Post by Spoofeh »

jump3r wrote: 1) About an hour ago I ran ET and joined some public server and to my surprise it started downloading, so I assume it had "forcecvar cl_allowdownload 1", if it is true then it shoudn't be allowed...
There are more cvars that shouldn't be possible to force on clients imho (like b_watermarkalpha), though cl_allowdownload is the most important one.
mortis

Post by mortis »

Fusen wrote:
mortis wrote:Meaning that hacker admins would add a fake bsp file to their hax pk3s in all probability. Malicious server admins can usually find a convenient way to explout the download vulnerability, unless the check is obfuscated by looking for some highly improbable and not publicly known file types.
except the point wasnt to stop hax pk3s, it was to not download unneeded crap except the map files, e.g. watermarks/skins
I think you misunderstand. I agree that it would be nice to exclude unnecessary pk3s. My point was that whatever criterion was needed (.bsp files, .arena files, .tga heightmaps or whatever) can still be abused by malicious admins if the criterions are obvious.

For example, a malicious admin bent on spreading zz_hax_of_the_week.pk3 would only have his fun spoiled until he included a blank .bsp file in the pk3 to override the download protection. The same is true for server watermark files, although I bet you could exlude pk3s that are identified as being the watermark by the server, although I don't think that this is true in the current etpro build.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Mods don't really have any control of the download stuff.
send lawyers, guns and money
Fusen

Post by Fusen »

mortis wrote:
Fusen wrote:
I think you misunderstand. I agree that it would be nice to exclude unnecessary pk3s. My point was that whatever criterion was needed (.bsp files, .arena files, .tga heightmaps or whatever) can still be abused by malicious admins if the criterions are obvious.

For example, a malicious admin bent on spreading zz_hax_of_the_week.pk3 would only have his fun spoiled until he included a blank .bsp file in the pk3 to override the download protection. The same is true for server watermark files, although I bet you could exlude pk3s that are identified as being the watermark by the server, although I don't think that this is true in the current etpro build.
I understood completely what you said, and yet you reiterate the point. Why talk about hax? we all know the server admin if wanted could give you dodgy files but the op isn't talking about hax, so it's VERY unlikely the server owner who is currently making you download watermarks will go out his way to make you download the watermark if checks are added.
________
herbal vaporizer
Last edited by Fusen on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortis

Post by mortis »

You mean, unless they want to force you to see their watermark. No, your ordinary run of the mill server admin isn't going to do that. The big issue as I see it, would be some way to play on servers but only download map files, helping to reduce the security threat of mailicious pk3s and forcefed watermarks, stupid voicepacks, etc.

We can manually clean out etmain all we want, but average users have no way of knowing for sure what is a legitimate pk3 and what is superfluous...and the kind of files they really don't want on their system can still be forced to be there.

There are two advantages to selective downloads. One is to reduce/eliminate unnessary and unwanted HUD, voicepack, watermark, and whatever else downloads to pollute a clean install of Wolfy. the second advantage would be to reduce/prevent the unwanted transfer of unsafe pk3s using existing exploits of all-or-nothing pk3 downloads.

I'd love to join a server, have etpro identify the in-use map, download that map if necessary, and allow me to F2 or flat out decline all campaign packs, voice packs, watermarks, etc.. Security plus convenience.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

downloading is engine, outside of mod control.