etpro vs jaymode and lags

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

The darker green color is antiwarp. PB screenshots cause lag spikes, which will trigger antwarp. There are plenty of other causes of lag spikes too, so don't assume it is all PBSS. Stopping for a moment should always cause the antiwarp part of the graph to go away.

micin: below is some general network testing advice I posted somewhere else, perhaps it will help you.

You can do some basic testing on your connection with ping and tracert. First, tracert to somewhere (don't really matter, use the IP of an ET server you like to play on, or etcenter or google) like this, in a command prompt:
tracert www.google.com
The output will be something like this:

Code: Select all

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [66.102.7.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1 &#91;192.168.1.1&#93;
  2    14 ms    13 ms    13 ms  rdns.of.your.isp.gateway &#91;1.2.3.4&#93;
  3    13 ms    14 ms    13 ms  rdns.of.some.other.router&#91;5.6.7.8&#93;
The first hop (with the < 1ms ping times) is your router. The next hop is usually the far end of your DSL line. If thing ping time of the second hop is also very low (<10ms) it is your DSL modem, and the hop after that is the other end. Don't be alarmed if some of the later hops drop packets in tracert, as a fair number of routers drop these, even when they forward normal traffic without problems.

To test your connection between you and your router, use:

ping -n 100 -l 1000 <ip.of.your.router>

The -n 100 means to use 100 packets, and the -l 1000 means use 1000 byte packets (that's a lower case L). Longer packets are far more likely to show up line problems.

This should give zero packet loss and <10ms pings. If it gives you packet loss, either your router sucks, your ethernet cable is bad, or perhaps some setting for your ethernet card is incompatible.

To test your DSL line, find the IP of the second hop (the one that isn't your router, i.e. the first one that has a >10ms ping), and ping it with the same command. Any packetloss most likely indicates a problem (unless its 100%, in which case, it is likely that router is simply ignoring your pings). The pings times should be fairly steady if there is no other traffic on the line, typically in the range of 30-80 ms for DSL with this packets size. If there is any significant packet loss, chances are you need to complain to your ISP.

You can move on down the IPs listed in the tracert using the same method, if you want, however, if the problem is in a router that is more than a couple hops away, chances are it is a temporary issue, and you can't do much to get it fixed.
send lawyers, guns and money
micin

Post by micin »

@ ReyalP: Thx a lot for help, i will try it and give a notice about result
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

ReyalP wrote:Stopping for a moment should always cause the antiwarp part of the graph to go away.
Immediately? It certainly goes away whether I move or stand still, it just takes a few seconds and ramps down gradually, as expected. Are you saying that the lagometer will immediately drop back to flatline if I stop moving? If so, that's something I'll have to try.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

ouroboro wrote: Immediately?
After a round trip to the server.

Of course, if you let it ramp down, you just have an artificial high ping for a while. If you are just running from A to B that might not be a big deal.
send lawyers, guns and money
SlAppY

Post by SlAppY »

ReyalP wrote:The darker green color is antiwarp.
I would like to know what yellow/blue/light green represent as well.... Guess I should do a search... :P
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

ReyalP wrote:
ouroboro wrote: Immediately?
After a round trip to the server.

Of course, if you let it ramp down, you just have an artificial high ping for a while. If you are just running from A to B that might not be a big deal.
I've only been screenshotted on my local server since asking this (not online), but it did indeed work as you said. 8)
SlAppY wrote:
ReyalP wrote:The darker green color is antiwarp.
I would like to know what yellow/blue/light green represent as well.... Guess I should do a search... :P
http://wolfwiki.anime.net/index.php/Lagometer
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
SlAppY

Post by SlAppY »

ty :D