32000 to avoid telling everyone to add it to the command line
45%
1400 my machine cant take large packets
55%

Total votes: 11

arni

Default ettv_mtu?

Post by arni »

A while ago I asked bani if it was possible to set a higher default ettv_mtu in the future releases. He said that i'd have to ask around in the forum if there are people who'd have a problem with it.

Background:

In europe we have some routers that send smaller packets before large and are thus shuffeling the last (not full) packet in front of the rest. This is ok to do usually but breaks ettv. With a higher ettv_mtu all data can be sent in one packet and is thus avoiding this problem.

I have not seen any *nix machine that could not handle packets of 32Kb so thats my proposed new default value for the linux distribution. Since windows does have problems with packets of this size, the default should stay at 1400 for them anyways.

Vote
deej

Post by deej »

3rd option perhaps: make it changeable on-the-fly so you can instruct noob admins to heighten it if needed.

I'm against changing the default value to 32000 just because some guys don't know how to add it to the command line ;).
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Foonr

Post by Foonr »

deej wrote:I'm against changing the default value to 32000 just because some guys don't know how to add it to the command line ;).
I have no idea whether that comment was intended to be sarcastic as Europeans have virtually no grasp of sarcasm at all, but I hope it was because it's a terrible arguement to use. It's like saying ETTV shouldn't be used because anyone new to it wouldn't know what to do. There's a reason we have wiki, faqs and tutorials, so people know how to work things. Using a (minority) ignorance to block those who will use it for their benefit is unjustifiable.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Foonr wrote: I have no idea whether that comment was intended to be sarcastic as Europeans have virtually no grasp of sarcasm at all, but I hope it was because it's a terrible arguement to use. It's like saying ETTV shouldn't be used because anyone new to it wouldn't know what to do. There's a reason we have wiki, faqs and tutorials, so people know how to work things. Using a (minority) ignorance to block those who will use it for their benefit is unjustifiable.
Huh ?

I think deej's arguement was perfectly reasonable, not sarcastic at all. If you are going to admin ETTV (or any server) you need to read and understand the manuals. Changing the defaults because some particular group of people don't know what value they should use isn't a very effective solution.

@arni: whats wrong with large MTUs on win32 ?
send lawyers, guns and money
deej

Post by deej »

Foonr wrote:It's like saying ETTV shouldn't be used because anyone new to it wouldn't know what to do. There's a reason we have wiki, faqs and tutorials, so people know how to work things. Using a (minority) ignorance to block those who will use it for their benefit is unjustifiable.
No I'm not saying ETTV shouldn't be used and I'm not being (totally) sarcastic. I actually agree with your last statement. If people cba'd to read the wiki & other stuff, they shouldn't bother adminning servers. That's also why ettv_mtu shouldn't be set default to 32000. It's certainly not a universal solution and for all we know it might hurt other servers.
Foonr wrote:as Europeans have virtually no grasp of sarcasm at all
You definitely need to get more off your island and get to actually know the rest of the world.
Foonr

Post by Foonr »

deej wrote:
Foonr wrote:as Europeans have virtually no grasp of sarcasm at all
You definitely need to get more off your island and get to actually know the rest of the world.

<3 I'm sorry, I just couldn't picture the etpro forums containing a thread without some flaming in, I guess alls normal in the world now :)
squadjot wrote:and..Fusen ure just a c**ksucker... sorry to say
deej

Post by deej »

Foonr wrote:<3 I'm sorry, I just couldn't picture the etpro forums containing a thread without some flaming in, I guess alls normal in the world now :)
:D
arni

Post by arni »

ReyalP wrote:@arni: whats wrong with large MTUs on win32 ?
players instantly go 999

told zinx and he just said "its windows ..."
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

arni wrote:
players instantly go 999

That happens at any MTU as far as I know.
send lawyers, guns and money
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

ReyalP wrote:
arni wrote:
players instantly go 999

That happens at any MTU as far as I know.
Win servers seem to crash if MTU is not default:
http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... c&start=15

The 999 thing happens with the server running default though.
(02:00:40) (+|FF|Im2good4u) gameserverrcon 69.93.143.210:27960 just@notherp@ssword status
(02:00:52) (+|FF|Im2good4u) oke me needs a new pass