patch 2.60b + ETPro 325/326 - integrity failures for clients

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

gotenks

Post by gotenks »

they're not... the etpro staff want's some of the pubbers that enjoyed playing on etpro servers without xpsave back, they don't want to steal the players who want the xpsave and other game ruining features such as that
also, with LUA you could do a mini-mod to save stats, just not xp
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
McNite

Post by McNite »

If Best Buy wants some customers back who ran off to Walmart, they better offer electronics that doesn't slam the door in the face of the customers friends. (It doesn't matter that the friends could get themselves a key.)

If they get some more Walmart customers (even if just for the food they now offer) that ain't bad, especially since they r going to buy some electronics too sooner or later (quality rules).
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

What you are asking is for Best Buy to allow pick pockets to come in and wonder arround the store doing as they please because they turned off the security...
My Website
McNite

Post by McNite »

There is a difference between either building in a 2-wing door or opening all the windows and doors during night and switching off the security cams, you know?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

yes, but the windows are all open on 2.60, that's why there was a security release called 2.60b... how about you just tell all users to turn off their firewalls and antivirus, and publicly announce their ip's?
My Website
Nail

Post by Nail »

lol, company comes out with patch to address a SERIOUS SECURITY PROBLEM, and then idiots bitch because they can't follow a simple readme included with same patch, too bad I say. Education is the answer, not reverting to lowest common denominator. Do you still play 2.55 as well ?
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Nail wrote:lol, company comes out with patch to address a SERIOUS SECURITY PROBLEM, and then idiots bitch because they can't follow a simple readme included with same patch, too bad I say.
Honestly, the client security issue fixed in 2.60b isn't very significant. Most users can be 0wned by a malicious server admin whether they install the fix or not.

The server issue is a different story, and you most certainly want the fix if you allow downloads.
send lawyers, guns and money
Nail

Post by Nail »

really didn't mean there was a big security prob with client, but I like ETPro's anti-cheat, if I need a patch to use it I certainly will be installing it, the readme included with patch has directions my 86 yr old mother could follow and has by the way
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

gotenks wrote:
Lagger wrote:Nice McSteve :D

Now all you have to do is set 'sv_cvar cl_allowdowload EQ 1' in the server config
sv_cvar will only make it for that server, then it'll change back... use forcecvar to turn it on for them (iirc)
sorry for bumping ( this is quite old post int this new topic )
but sv_cvar is alternative to pb_sv_cvar
O-T: as it was discussed elsewhere it'll be cool to have a pb_sv_CQC like function ( to allow clients to see server cvars )
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i coded that for etpower mod allready... you can look up the value of any cvar that doesn't have *pass* in it
My Website
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

I'm sitting here thinking that it woundt be that hard to code a "updater"-tool..that would update ET to whatever you want.. But then again, this tool would be for totally newbs, and how would they know about this "updater"-tool anyway..

I kinda see the problem, and it would be best if the original software from both etpro/activision would either update automatically (on prompt ofc).. or redirect to update-download url.

Why make it harder for some poeple?.. imo spread the good word!..ET is a great game..and its FREE!!!!... (spice it up with ETPRO and it only gets better).

Finally, a new version number would help.. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 3.0 =)
Nail

Post by Nail »

squadjot wrote:
Finally, a new version number would help.. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 3.0 =)
hmmm, nah, I like "Quake Wars" better :lol:
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

ReyalP wrote:
McNite wrote:Well when you do something for a community you better do it for the average ppl... they are WAY less smart than those who build the mods. Ignoring that fact isn't helping the community.
Oh and also I do believe that ppl should be able to choose which grade of security they want (no matter what their choice is).
The people who are stuck on 2.60 because they can't figure out how to upgrade aren't choosing anything. There are just stuck because they lack basic computer skills. The same as all the people who get their boxes owned because they click on stupid popups.

For those who are actually doing it by choice, I see no reason I should expend my effort to help them do something stupid.

If it were trivial to support both versions, it would be a reasonable thing to do, but it isn't. If we had realized how much trouble the community would have unzipping a file, maybe we would have done things differently from the start. As it stands, I would rather find ways to make it easy for people to upgrade than to help them stay on the old version. At the very least, I expect the next version to have a more helpful error message.
Was not hard for me to patch, was hard to explain to others, and I included tutorials for a while, and will again.

Same time, I run 3.2.5 with 3.2.6 cheat.log files which allow both clients to connect, and work on other issues from there, to get regulars to patch up.

Instead of beating a dead horse into submission, which the etpro guys seem to do, I'm working on getting other players to be able to play etpro, without having to wonder.

Not all are as smart as the next, helping them learn is paramount. Hindering them shows ignorance on your part, and for that, I commend you to being as smart as those you call stupid.

If you can't help another player, you're not much smarter, if at all, than those you consider less smart than yourself. ;)

Help is what it is, education is what it is.

You can't learn, if you do not have a teacher. If you do not have the ability to teach, no one will ever learn from you. Take that for what it's worth.

I will say this, as it's been posted on MANY ET-related sites already. Etpro has been ruined by RealIP for his general attitude. I may not be welcomed here again, based on that comment, but I can't disagree with it.

You keep pissing into the wind. You might know how to code, but you sure as hell do not know how to help, with the coding you've done. Sad issue.

Think less like a geek, and more like a lay-man.

One thing I can guarantee. If you were to come into my world, you'd likely need to do some learning, and it'd be me that's gonna be as hard on you as you seem to think you've got the right to be on others. Betting that would not work out to well for you, given your attitude. ;)

Be a solution, or be a part of the problem. I've already found the solution. ;)
Nail

Post by Nail »

we're talking about PC gamers here, they used to be the top level computer users, now most are people who want to use their computers as consoles. If you don't have even basic computer knowledge, like installing and overwriting files, then go back to consoles till you educate yourself.

btw, who the F says etpro is ruined ?
reyalP has been nothing but helpful in my forums and the other ET/QW forums I frequent
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Don't know why you are bumping this old thread :?
Roadie wrote:Same time, I run 3.2.5 with 3.2.6 cheat.log files which allow both clients to connect, and work on other issues from there, to get regulars to patch up.

Instead of beating a dead horse into submission, which the etpro guys seem to do, I'm working on getting other players to be able to play etpro, without having to wonder.
Who will they blame when they randomly crash because of your screwed up setup ? Probably us. Oh well.
I will say this, as it's been posted on MANY ET-related sites already. Etpro has been ruined by RealIP for his general attitude. I may not be welcomed here again, based on that comment, but I can't disagree with it.
Who is RealIP ? :roll:
send lawyers, guns and money