The MAX_GAMESTATE_CHARS problem

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Smoke

The MAX_GAMESTATE_CHARS problem

Post by Smoke »

According to the ETTV entry on WolfWiki, there are no known solutions to the MAX_GAMESTATE_CHARS problem -- is that the consensus within the ETPro team? I'm asking because I don't know who wrote that article in the WolfWiki, or if perhaps some are currently working on a solution.

For those who don't know, the problem occurs when watching ETTV demos locally, where the demo continues, but the viewer (you) is kicked out as specatator.
b_pwnage 1
ReyalP

Re: The MAX_GAMESTATE_CHARS problem

Post by ReyalP »

Smoke wrote:According to the ETTV entry on WolfWiki, there are no known solutions to the MAX_GAMESTATE_CHARS problem -- is that the consensus within the ETPro team? I'm asking because I don't know who wrote that article in the WolfWiki, or if perhaps some are currently working on a solution.

For those who don't know, the problem occurs when watching ETTV demos locally, where the demo continues, but the viewer (you) is kicked out as specatator.
If you can link on of the offending demos, that might help.

There shouldn't be any difference from "watching ETTV demos locally". The only way you can watch an ETTV demo is by running an ETTV server.

There may be things in your particular server configuration that make the gamestate bigger. I'd suggest keeping the number of .pk3 files on the server at the minimum possible, and not using a lot of sets, long motds etc in the server config.
send lawyers, guns and money
arni

Post by arni »

sets'es are cloned from the matchserver, those should also be kept to a minimum there

but the most common problem is really too many pk3's on the ettv server
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

I deleted 51 pk3 files I had no use for, and it seems to have solved the problem. If so, the article WolfWiki should be updated. I'll get back and whine some more if the problem appears again.

Thanks. :)
b_pwnage 1
arni

Post by arni »

rofl @ 51 unused pk3's thats 3 times as many as i have total
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

arni wrote:rofl @ 51 unused pk3's thats 3 times as many as i have total
Hehe. Well, it was various junk that have accumulated over time -- maps, watermarks, campaigns, etpro updates, etc.
b_pwnage 1
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Smoke wrote:
arni wrote:rofl @ 51 unused pk3's thats 3 times as many as i have total
Hehe. Well, it was various junk that have accumulated over time -- maps, watermarks, campaigns, etpro updates, etc.
Whenever you are running a server (which includes ETTV demo playback) you should try to use a clean copy of ET with only the stuff you actually need.

The same applies to normal demo playback for that matter.

The wiki is updated.
send lawyers, guns and money