Kmod 2.60b

Discussions about ET modding (sdk code, player/weapon modeling)

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

-=W.Haile.T=-

Kmod 2.60b

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

I'm helping Clutch152 with the next version of Kmod and we had a pretty cool idea for a feature that might help the community out.

We were trying to think of a way to help server admins deal with the 2.60/2.60b issue. What we came up with was putting some links in the "incorrect et.exe version" window that appears when ETPro fails to find 2.60b and disconnects the client.

The links would route players to these sites:

2.60b patch installer:

http://www.bogeylicker.co.uk/et/ET-2.60b-installer.exe

http://www.bogeylicker.co.uk/et/ET-2.60-revert.exe

and/or

http://www.bogeylicker.co.uk/et/ET2_60b_installer.zip

Main page:

http://www.ghostworks.co.uk/index.php?name=News&catid=5

ETpack 1.2

http://www.xfire.be/?x=tutorial&mode=item&id=10

and/or

Ultimate ET Installer:

http://kingofet.free.fr/

What might be better is if the link to McSteves 2.60b installer copy/pasted from Kmods folder to the clients desktop instead of d/l, but don't know if thats possible.

I d/l'ed the source code and found popup_errormessage.menu but didn't find any lines about "incorrect et.exe version" which makes me think the message comes from the server, but dunno. Do you know how that works ReyalP ?

source
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/plan ... source.exe

What i was thinking was we could create our own popup_errormessage.menu and have it overlay the "incorrect et.exe version" execing it from the // popups loadMenu { "ui/popup_errormessage.menu" } to get the links up and running. Somehow we'd have to exec this via lua but dunno if lua can see this, clutch isn't around to ask him so.

ReyalP we would need to create the same links you have in your mod menu, that take you out of the game and to your website. Can you tell us how that works ?

Obviously we are lacking technical skills and know how in order to get this done, but would like to do so. If you would like to put into this idea contact me @ bensoizf@yahoo.com ...thx

If anyone has a better idea bout how this could be done plz feel free to post.

We just want to resolve this 2.60b issue and get back to ET'in.
Intellect is that which enables one to reason without anxiety, and to address the questions that challenge one's concept of reality. Intellect is freedom and the courage to explore areas others dare not go - Pythagoras
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

this "issue" is more than a year old, do you really think it's so terribly needed to do such a things now? you should have thought about it a year ago, not now.. imho.
McSteve

Post by McSteve »

FWIW, from a recent post on GW forums, I think W.Haile is changing from a different mod to ETPro, hence is just probably trying to help his server regulars with the transition.
GhosT:McSteve
Ghostworks Gaming Community
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

You can't override the error dialog with a .pk3 file.
send lawyers, guns and money
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

Well a year ago i was a nub to put it bluntly and we just switched over to ETPro 3.2.6 losing most of our regs but like the mod better so.

Hey McSteve thats funny to run acrossed you here :) must be a small internet world ..huh. Thanks for your help i'm almost done putting that together and running it on the server :) ...extremely helpful thankyou.

I've know Clutch for a long time now but he just opened up a development section on or forums for the next version of kmod. Were running it, working the bugs out and talking about different stuff we can do features and stuff.

But i thought something we could do would be a better 2.60b error screen. Theres some good tools out there like McSteves 2.60b installers and the new ET installers people can benefit from if they get them. Kmods in a position where it could distribute these to the people that need them, so it seams like the two can come together to benefit the community.

It may have been a long time but we can get this out there now giving admins more tools to keep thier servers full and to help the players cause its the players need help with this.
Intellect is that which enables one to reason without anxiety, and to address the questions that challenge one's concept of reality. Intellect is freedom and the courage to explore areas others dare not go - Pythagoras
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

ReyalP wrote:
Can you overlay another window on top of it which would have the links ?
Major Zeman

Post by Major Zeman »

As someone wrote somewhere else, if migrating you could put some text into MOTD since they're probably going to see that textbefore server drops them.

P.S. From my ecperience, even after a year this 2.60/2.60b is still a problem :/
lua > me
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

Yep that was a post by McSteve we are doing that to our server ....thx for the tip

http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... ght=#64402

In the same post to ReyalP said the next ETPro version will have a better error screen on it so kmod is kinda temp but at least we can get something out there no matter its late.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

-=W.Haile.T=- wrote:ReyalP wrote:
Can you overlay another window on top of it which would have the links ?
Not really. The best I can think of is to put it in your motd.

You could customize other parts of the loading screen with a custom .pk3, that I really don't like ad-ons that override the games normal UI.
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

Clutch told me we'd need to know C in order to make the link windows so that suks :( i wish this wasn't such a pain in the frigg'in ass. I'm a good scripter but C naw i don't know that stuff .....yet anyways.

A custom .pk3 ? Well i guess thats about as close as were gonna get huh ? I'd rather have the links right there for them to click on but it aint making it easy to frick'in work on so whatever its pretty damn close .......thanks for the idea ReyalP :) look forward to ur error screen in 3.2.7 :)
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

So wait a minute why can't we just create a new path for the popup_errormessage.menu in the zz.kmodload.pk3 ? I was making this thing and noticed in the pak0.pk3/ui folder theres a popup_errormessage.menu, so instead of creating a new camp_map.tga, which is the loading screen pic i was going to customize, why not just make a custom popup_errormessage.menu and put the path in my zzkmodmenu.pk3 ? and of course customize the pop-up windows text with something i want ...like hey its time for u to upgrade to 2.60b ...heres the links to do it ? get 'r done ?

Of course it wouldn't be a zz.pk3 thats downloaded into the clients ETPro folder it would be a custom .pk3 inside the kmods folder like u were telling me ReyalP.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

If you change the error popup, that will change ALL errors.

It's not worth it.
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

ahhh crapers ReyalP .....i guess i'll stop thinking i found somethan u guys haven't thought of cause, it doesn't seam to be working :)
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

what about to:

forcecvar mod_version etpro 3.2.6 required 2.60b patch

?

btw why the exe files from 2.60b havent been yet included in the 2.60 patch installation pack and renamed to 2.60b patch? eh, crappy developers (ID/splashdamage) who dnt care of excellent game anymore
wolFTeam.pl
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Luk4ward wrote:what about to:

forcecvar mod_version etpro 3.2.6 required 2.60b patch
whaaaa ?
If your thinking you can force something and change what shows up in the error box, you are incorrect.
btw why the exe files from 2.60b havent been yet included in the 2.60 patch installation pack and renamed to 2.60b patch? eh, crappy developers (ID/splashdamage) who dnt care of excellent game anymore
Lets see, they released a complete game for free with an SDK, and supported 2 major patches, the release of ETTV, a Mac port and security updates.

Based on that, I find your attitude unjustified and somewhat insulting. Don't get me wrong, I too wish they would come out with a full combined installer with all the latest stuff, but have some perspective.